Tampa Arrival Time

MistyRo76

Looking at a possible cruise out of Tampa on the Miracle. This would be my first time cruising out of Tampa, so its a bit out of my Miami/Ft. Lauderdale comfort zone.

I’m looking at flights home and I can get a great deal on an 11AM flight home using miles for one of our two tickets. I would be comfortable with 11AM out of Miami. But how would that be at Tampa. It would be just my hubby and I (no little one traveling with us this time). I am Platinum so worst case we could be one of the first groups off the ship or we could carry our luggage off ourselves and be off even earlier (this is what we will likely do since we don’t have to deal with the kiddo, stroller, etc.).

It sounds like the port is fairly close to the airport. So it seems like in my mind this is doable. But wanted to get others experience before we book anything!

Thanks!

Tampa airport is only a 20 minute cab ride from the pier. Could be little longer if you are arriving on a work day. During the winter we do have a morning fog problem in the bay area. If the fog is very heavy in the channel, ships have been held until the approach under the Skyway bridge is clear. Does not happen too often, but is something you should be aware of.

I think I would chance that given Platinum status. Just don't be mad if weather or some other delay makes you late back to port. On the Sunshine in October we were expecting to be off at 7:30/8 am and at work. We didn't dock til close to 11 due to medical emergency.

Thanks, all! I understand the risks of booking an early flight. But I think with carrying our bags off and getting off as soon as possible, we will probably take the chance. It's so much easier traveling without the little one as we can just hop in a taxi rather than booking a car service that can provide a car seat. Not to mention, we won't have to deal with strollers and all the extra stuff we need traveling with a toddler.

Misty- I've traveled to airports all over, and the Tampa airport is my favorite, hands down! It very convenient to negotiate and there's always lots of places for food an drink near your gate, if you get there early.

The only caution (besides your ship being delayed as was mentioned) is security. It's better than most airports, but if you to through security checkin during peak times (especially weekdays) it can take a while. I've never missed a flight because of it, or even come close, but it can be tedious to stand in line.

Now I have TSA Pre-Check so it's much faster... you might look into it. If you have a certain level of Amex credit card they will return your TSA pre-check fee ($80 IIRC). Other cards may do the same. I'd check with them and see if the pre-check cost is reimbursable, then go for it! It will save you a ton of time, regardless of what airport you're flying in or out of. It's valid for 5 years, I believe.

Misty- I've traveled to airports all over, and the Tampa airport is my favorite, hands down! It very convenient to negotiate and there's always lots of places for food an drink near your gate, if you get there early.

The only caution (besides your ship being delayed as was mentioned) is security. It's better than most airports, but if you to through security checkin during peak times (especially weekdays) it can take a while. I've never missed a flight because of it, or even come close, but it can be tedious to stand in line.

Now I have TSA Pre-Check so it's much faster... you might look into it. If you have a certain level of Amex credit card they will return your TSA pre-check fee ($80 IIRC). Other cards may do the same. I'd check with them and see if the pre-check cost is reimbursable, then go for it! It will save you a ton of time, regardless of what airport you're flying in or out of. It's valid for 5 years, I believe.

I have been considering TSA- Pre-Check as I do traveling fairly frequently for work plus any personal travel we do. So it would definitely be worth it. May have to just get on the stick and do it!