Bringing water onboard? And which non buffet restaurant?

Good morning! For health reasons, I drink mostly spring water. Will it be a problem to buy a pack and put into my luggage??

also, which non buffet restaurant are available/the best to use upon boarding for lunch on Epic? My friends, its their first cruise and I personally perfer something quiet and I don't like buffets anyways.

Thanks!

Meg

You can buy bottled water on board, or preorder it to be placed in your cabin.

I can't answer for Epic's restaurants, because I never sailed on her. We prefer the Jewel class ships.

Darn! That doesn't help me. Bottled water is not spring water, its only purfied which is not what I need for my health condition. That sucks!

Good morning! For health reasons, I drink mostly spring water. Will it be a problem to buy a pack and put into my luggage??

also, which non buffet restaurant are available/the best to use upon boarding for lunch on Epic? My friends, its their first cruise and I personally perfer something quiet and I don't like buffets anyways.

Thanks!

Meg

Hey Meg,

You can not bring water onboard. This is pretty strictly enforced

embarkation starts around 11:30

Buffet opens at 11:30

O’Sheehan’s pub opens at 11:30

Taste main ding room opens at noon

We always go to the MDR when it opens.

Guests who have special needs, medical requirements, or families with infants who require water for formula or milk, should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com to verify if an exception can be made for their beverage and to obtain pre-approval to provide to security at embarkation.

Yup. This. I need distilled water for CPAP and they’re providing it. Contact them to see if possible to purchase through them or if you can get a waiver etc for medical needs

Darn! That doesn't help me. Bottled water is not spring water, its only purfied which is not what I need for my health condition. That sucks!

Hopefully not prying too much, but since I'm sort of the CC expert on cruise ship water, I'm wondering what advantages a "generic" spring water would have? I know spring water has minerals in it, but it would depend on where the spring was as to what minerals and what levels they were found at, so do you need a specific spring water?

Hopefully not prying too much, but since I'm sort of the CC expert on cruise ship water, I'm wondering what advantages a "generic" spring water would have? I know spring water has minerals in it, but it would depend on where the spring was as to what minerals and what levels they were found at, so

you need a specific spring water?

Hey! No. Filtered or purified water still have hormones in them as those can not be taken out, spring water doesn't. I have endometriosis so I do not need extra hormones. Causes issues.

Ask NCL's access desk. They do have an exemption for qualified medical reasons.

They also provide distilled water for CPAP machines, and have other still and sparkling waters available for purchase on board.

One of the things I like most about NCL is that on embarkation day at least one of the main dining room restaurants is open, as is O'Sheehan's (a pub-style place with table service). They usually also have the grill open on the pool deck for burgers and dogs.

Hey! No. Filtered or purified water still have hormones in them as those can not be taken out, spring water doesn't. I have endometriosis so I do not need extra hormones. Causes issues.

Okay, so I looked up hormones in drinking water, and not trying to contradict any medical advice you've been given, but would like to make some points about ship's water. The studies I see say that most of the hormones in tap water are from livestock feces/urine, so only the water taken on in port might have that. Not sure that anyone has studied sea water to sea if sea like adds hormones. How much water does a cruise ship take on in port? That depends on the ship's itinerary, such that if there is sufficient time at sea, at a decent speed, to make all the water needed for the cruise, then they won't take on any, as this costs, but ships like the Sky never run their water makers on the short Bahamas cruises, so they take on all their water. I've seen reports from the NIH that chlorination reduces hormones by about 98%, and ship's water has more chlorine than most municipal supplies. It is chlorinated to 2-4ppm when taken from port, before it goes into the tanks, and is chlorinated to 2-4ppm when it is made from sea water, before it goes into the tanks. It is further chlorinated while recirculating around the ship such that there is always a 0.5ppm residual chlorine at the furthest point from the chlorine injection.

So, the water made onboard is of two types. One is distilled water, which has absolutely no hormones in it, from a flash type evaporator. The other type is made via Reverse Osmosis filtering, and this is shown to be the most effective way to remove hormones from tap water, so any hormones in the sea water would not make it past this stage.

Now, finally, the water from the drinking fountains, drink dispensers, ice machines, bar guns, and the water stations used in the dining venues, all have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine (not for taste as many believe, but for maintenance purposes in the machines). These carbon filters are also extremely effective in reducing the levels of hormones in water.

I've also seen reports that hormones have been detected in deep aquifers, like springs, so even spring water, if not carbon filtered, may not be safe for you. Heck, I remember when Perrier was found contaminated with benzene.

Just trying to be helpful, and give you something you may want to discuss with your doctor. But, in most cases, yes, they will make exceptions if you have a medical reason to need a specific product.

Okay, so I looked up hormones in drinking water, and not trying to contradict any medical advice you've been given, but would like to make some points about ship's water. The studies I see say that most of the hormones in tap water are from livestock feces/urine, so only the water taken on in port might have that. Not sure that anyone has studied sea water to sea if sea like adds hormones. How much water does a cruise ship take on in port? That depends on the ship's itinerary, such that if there is sufficient time at sea, at a decent speed, to make all the water needed for the cruise, then they won't take on any, as this costs, but ships like the Sky never run their water makers on the short Bahamas cruises, so they take on all their water. I've seen reports from the NIH that chlorination reduces hormones by about 98%, and ship's water has more chlorine than most municipal supplies. It is chlorinated to 2-4ppm when taken from port, before it goes into the tanks, and is chlorinated to 2-4ppm when it is made from sea water, before it goes into the tanks. It is further chlorinated while recirculating around the ship such that there is always a 0.5ppm residual chlorine at the furthest point from the chlorine injection.

So, the water made onboard is of two types. One is distilled water, which has absolutely no hormones in it, from a flash type evaporator. The other type is made via Reverse Osmosis filtering, and this is shown to be the most effective way to remove hormones from tap water, so any hormones in the sea water would not make it past this stage.

Now, finally, the water from the drinking fountains, drink dispensers, ice machines, bar guns, and the water stations used in the dining venues, all have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine (not for taste as many believe, but for maintenance purposes in the machines). These carbon filters are also extremely effective in reducing the levels of hormones in water.

I've also seen reports that hormones have been detected in deep aquifers, like springs, so even spring water, if not carbon filtered, may not be safe for you. Heck, I remember when Perrier was found contaminated with benzene.

Just trying to be helpful, and give you something you may want to discuss with your doctor. But, in most cases, yes, they will make exceptions if you have a medical reason to need a specific product.

The hormones I am most concerned with is estrogen. That comes from recycled water and women using the restroom. (maybe on the ship they don't recycle bathroom water???) I also do not feel chlorine is good for me either. I will email and see what they can do. I had most painful time with this condition and do everything I can, diet included to minimize any symptoms.

The hormones I am most concerned with is estrogen. That comes from recycled water and women using the restroom. (maybe on the ship they don't recycle bathroom water???) I also do not feel chlorine is good for me either. I will email and see what they can do. I had most painful time with this condition and do everything I can, diet included to minimize any symptoms.

Uh, definitely no, they do not recycle any water. Does anywhere in the US actually use recycled water? Just looked and saw that California is recycling water. Ugh. USPH requires absolute separation between potable water systems and any other system. Waste water is treated and discharged overboard. While the treatment plant does treat the waste water to near pure drinking water condition (and is tested regularly), it is against USPH regulations to use this for potable water. As I say, water from the dining venues, buffet line, and ice is chlorine free. You could also bring a Brita filter pitcher or water bottle to remove the chlorine from your cabin tap, or to further filter the water you get from the drink dispensers.

Uh, definitely no, they do not recycle any water. Does anywhere in the US actually use recycled water? Just looked and saw that California is recycling water. Ugh. USPH requires absolute separation between potable water systems and any other system. Waste water is treated and discharged overboard. While the treatment plant does treat the waste water to near pure drinking water condition (and is tested regularly), it is against USPH regulations to use this for potable water. As I say, water from the dining venues, buffet line, and ice is chlorine free. You could also bring a Brita filter pitcher or water bottle to remove the chlorine from your cabin tap, or to further filter the water you get from the drink dispensers.

My friend ordered some bottle water so will not bother with the tap but the dinning room situation now seems better.

As far as places following federal laws... You'd be surprised or not. I don't trust them.

Take a Brita filtered water bottle, as they are pretty effective in removing estrogen. Also, just an FYI, a new study says that even if the water doesn't contain BPA, most plastic products release estrogenic chemicals.

The water used for drinking is different from the water used for toilets. Drinking water is always direct from desalination.

If you are worried about estrogen, you better not eat soy and a bunch of other foods.

Uh, no. There is only one system for water distribution onboard, just like in your house. The same water goes to the sink as the toilet. Take a look when one of the engineers has the door in the hallway next to a cabin open when working on a toilet problem. You will see the water supply to the cabin goes to the shower, the sink, and the toilet. And, no, not all "drinking" water on ships is from desalination, some is from municipal supplies in port. After 42 years at sea, I know how ships make, load, and use water onboard. No ship, particularly cruise ships, have separate water systems between potable and toilets. The only other type of fresh water onboard is "technical water" used in the engine room for cooling systems and the like, and the only difference between the tech water and potable water is the tech water has never been chlorinated. Many ships also use the condensation from the AC units to supply the laundry washing machines. Again, totally segregated systems.

Uh, no. There is only one system for water distribution onboard, just like in your house. The same water goes to the sink as the toilet. Take a look when one of the engineers has the door in the hallway next to a cabin open when working on a toilet problem. You will see the water supply to the cabin goes to the shower, the sink, and the toilet. And, no, not all "drinking" water on ships is from desalination, some is from municipal supplies in port. After 42 years at sea, I know how ships make, load, and use water onboard. No ship, particularly cruise ships, have separate water systems between potable and toilets. The only other type of fresh water onboard is "technical water" used in the engine room for cooling systems and the like, and the only difference between the tech water and potable water is the tech water has never been chlorinated. Many ships also use the condensation from the AC units to supply the laundry washing machines. Again, totally segregated systems.

Chengkp75 as always you are an incredible - AND most importantly, credible source of any information relating to water on a cruise ship - but you wont be able to sway readers here to any extent as most think they know way more,,,, sigh I wish that people that are credentialed to be "experts " in a field could have some kind of tag LOL Thank you again,

Uh, definitely no, they do not recycle any water. Does anywhere in the US actually use recycled water? Just looked and saw that California is recycling water. Ugh.

In most areas there are two separate systems, the potable water lines and then the recycled water lines. The recycled water has been used since 1961 to replenish aquifers. My community has purple pipes with "non-potable water" that is used for irrigation of crops and landscaping in shopping centers and on golf courses. In some communities, like Orange County, snow melt from the mountains is used 7 times by the time it finds its way to the ocean, mostly through replenishing aquifers.

I would worry about it, but I drink bottled water as we've mentioned before.

In most areas there are two separate systems, the potable water lines and then the recycled water lines. The recycled water has been used since 1961 to replenish aquifers. My community has purple pipes with "non-potable water" that is used for irrigation of crops and landscaping in shopping centers and on golf courses. In some communities, like Orange County, snow melt from the mountains is used 7 times by the time it finds its way to the ocean, mostly through replenishing aquifers.

I would worry about it, but I drink bottled water as we've mentioned before.

Yes, aware of that type of recycling, running it back through the aquifer as a filter. But I saw an article from 2015 where the Orange County Water Board was touting a plant to run treated wastewater directly back to the potable water supply, mixed in with regular ground water supply.

OP, if this is advice you have gotten from your doctor, and you doctor will agree that regular bottled water isn’t suitable for you; your best bet is to contact special needs as posted previously. They do allow water brought on or provide it for specific medical needs (such as baby formula or CPAP machines). People have also reported exceptions for things like ensure. With a doctors note/prescription you may be permitted to A. Bring your own water on or B. Assured that whatever brand of water your need is available for purchase onboard. If you do get an exemption, you should carry on your water. The luggage security system does not do a good job of determining who has exemptions and who doesn’t and will probably hold your water back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow! I have had one of the worst cases of endo that the UofM had seen at the time of my surgery. Endo invaded my colin and bowel which led to a 15 day hospital stay. I am so sympathetic to you and the pain you must be in.

I knew full well how hormones from foods can affect me, but I never thought much about tap water.

Yes, aware of that type of recycling, running it back through the aquifer as a filter. But I saw an article from 2015 where the Orange County Water Board was touting a plant to run treated wastewater directly back to the potable water supply, mixed in with regular ground water supply.

I think that is in place in some areas of California now. There are strict requirements about water quality and filtration, etc. but I don't know if there is testing for hormones that the OP would be affected by. California's water often exceeds safety levels in some contaminants and my local city supply has two or three cancer-causing agents in excess of standards.

Most of the time, communities adopt water recycling like this image (if it comes through) for landscaping and industrial uses.

water_recycle_policy_banner.jpg

Wow! I have had one of the worst cases of endo that the UofM had seen at the time of my surgery. Endo invaded my colin and bowel which led to a 15 day hospital stay. I am so sympathetic to you and the pain you must be in.

I knew full well how hormones from foods can affect me, but I never thought much about tap water.

Excuse me but because of my name I have to correct you. It was your COLON that got infected. ;p