Carnival Panorama to be Based in Long Beach in 2019

shof515

Exciting news for us in Arizona. I really like to cruise, but cannot keep flying east if I want cruising to be an affordable family vacation. We have a big DCL family cruise out of Galveston December 2018, but I was trying to find an October cruise for 2018 out of CA and it just looked like it might be time for me to move away from Carnival. I think that to compete on the west coast, they need to do something. I have not really got down to serious planning by reviewing ships, but I started pricing and leaning NCL due to the ship differences:

7 day balcony Oct 13, 2018 on Bliss for 4 out of Long Beach is $4070 (includes alcohol).

7 day balcony Oct 6, 2018 on Splendor for 4 out of Long Beach $2791 (no drinks add $830 for 2 Cheers! packages)

7 day balcony Oct 13, 2018 on Star Princess for 4 out of Long Beach $4072 ($300 OBC and all specialty dining included)

Exciting news for us in Arizona. I really like to cruise, but cannot keep flying east if I want cruising to be an affordable family vacation. We have a big DCL family cruise out of Galveston December 2018, but I was trying to find an October cruise for 2018 out of CA and it just looked like it might be time for me to move away from Carnival. I think that to compete on the west coast, they need to do something. I have not really got down to serious planning by reviewing ships, but I started pricing and leaning NCL due to the ship differences:

7 day balcony Oct 13, 2018 on Bliss for 4 out of Long Beach is $4070 (includes alcohol).

7 day balcony Oct 6, 2018 on Splendor for 4 out of Long Beach $2791 (no drinks add $830 for 2 Cheers! packages)

7 day balcony Oct 13, 2018 on Star Princess for 4 out of Long Beach $4072 ($300 OBC and all specialty dining included)

NCL a little more expensive than Carnival but with all that ship will have to offer I'd go with the Bliss. Your kids will also have a way better time on the Bliss with the endless activities. And actually, the Bliss and Princess will sail out of San Pedro not Long Beach. Fairly close to each other though.

Things have changed since then. Big metal headed to the west coast with Norwegian Bliss and Royal Princess sailing to the Mexican Riviera. Also Royal Caribbean will be sending Ovation of the Seas and Celebrity is adding a second Solstice class ship to the west coast as well to sail northbound to Alaska. Carnival would be stupid not to upgrade their product there as well.

Now, if Carnival could send some real competition to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan. Even with last year’s devastating hurricane season, Norwegian Epic and Freedom of the Seas will both be based in San Juan next year while Carnival will continue operating the small and aging Fascination from there...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It does seem like the West Coast will be over-saturated Vs the SJ.

An over saturated market is never a bad thing for cruise pricing.

I think, even though they are not actively marketing the “Homeport Cruising” strategy, the are actively employing it. They can attract customers with smaller vacation budgets if they don’t have to fly, and generate more frequent or higher revenue business from repeat customers who can use air savings towards upgraded cabins or their next cruise.

It will be a few years before SJ will be able to generate a local base to help fill ships so I understand this decision even though I’m not thrilled about it. If I’m going to pony up airfare because I want a change from Galveston, I’d rather sail the Southern Caribbean then MX riviera, especially when the port selection is so limited due to the crime situation.

Says cruzeluver all the way from South Carolina.

Makes perfect sense being a CA expert located in SC.

Normally I ignore when I am specifically called out, but where did I claim to be a CA expert? I just happen to recall(because I have been an active member of CC for well over a decade) the struggles Royal Caribbean specifically had when Mariner of The Seas was based out of California. Toward the end of it tenure there, 7 night cruises could be had starting for as little as $399 per person. Don't nee dot be any type of expert on a state to be aware of that.

I concede that the economy has changed since that time and hope the lines are successful there. We did an 8 night Mexico cruise on NCL a number of years ago that was fantastic (ship was nothing to write home about, but loved the itinerary). Its sad that now ports like Acapulco and Zihuatanejo are no longer viable due to crime. We enjoyed them very much at the time.

So there are to be no Med cruises and now no Transatlantic.

Will the Panorama be doing the Suez Canal route to Singapore maybe and eventually to Long Beach? Speculations?

I fully doubt it. That's a heck of alot of fuel. Where does it say that she'll cross the Atlantic empty?

So there are to be no Med cruises and now no Transatlantic.

Will the Panorama be doing the Suez Canal route to Singapore maybe and eventually to Long Beach? Speculations?

Hi Mary,

Well, wouldn’t that be a nice change of pace? I’m hoping if John knows what he’s talking about (cough,cough), that it will be a unique itinerary.

Normally I ignore when I am specifically called out, but where did I claim to be a CA expert? I just happen to recall(because I have been an active member of CC for well over a decade) the struggles Royal Caribbean specifically had when Mariner of The Seas was based out of California. Toward the end of it tenure there, 7 night cruises could be had starting for as little as $399 per person. Don't nee dot be any type of expert on a state to be aware of that.

I concede that the economy has changed since that time and hope the lines are successful there. We did an 8 night Mexico cruise on NCL a number of years ago that was fantastic (ship was nothing to write home about, but loved the itinerary). Its sad that now ports like Acapulco and Zihuatanejo are no longer viable due to crime. We enjoyed them very much at the time.

Don’t you think the people at Carnival do a significant amount of research and profitability analysis prior to making these commitments? They are investing a ton of money, I can guarantee they aren’t doing any of this if they do not feel they can make a reasonable profit from their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Southern California and am so excited about the new ship. I cruised in July on the Imagination, which seemed so small compared to the Magic I was on in March. As for the Ensenada, I was actually sent a survey asking about activities I would like to see in Ensenada. Actually, on my cruise in July, we visited a campground (on our own) that had ziplines, waterslides, horseback riding, and some other activities. They asked what I enjoyed and specifically asked about ziplines and waterslides, food tours, and shopping so I am thinking they are looking into building a park near the port.

I thought this year might be our last Mexican Riviera cruise for a while. Been doing the Riviera for 9 of the last 12 years, got a kid heading to college, Carnival doesn't stop in Mazatlan during President's week for some reason, and becoming weary of the Splendor and Miracle although hey have been good ships.

But the Panorama definitely has my interest peaked. Been jealous of what east coast cruisers get that we don't.

I'm only about 45 min from Long Beach so this makes me happy...we sail on the Splendor next month but I have no interest in the other smaller / older boats, plus I am not a fan on Catalina or Ensenada. So this will give me a new option without having to fly anywhere.

Sure wont hurt Having more choices and take away from crowded Florida ports. Options are nice to have and the announcement of the Splendor going Australia next year fits very well for us. News on that next month..;p

We're locals too, and are extremely happy Carnival is putting in a brand new ship!! RCCL pulled out of Long Beach quite awhile ago. Maybe Carnivals investment will bring Royal back, to get a piece of the cruise pie profit!

Carnival why not consider going further than Mexico or up North to Vancouver?? Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Ensenada & Catalina have been done and redone ;) New Ports for So Cal & vicinity Cruisers would be most welcomed.

:D Bobbi

We're locals too, and are extremely happy Carnival is putting in a brand new ship!! RCCL pulled out of Long Beach quite awhile ago. Maybe Carnivals investment will bring Royal back, to get a piece of the cruise pie profit!

Carnival why not consider going further than Mexico or up North to Vancouver?? Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Ensenada & Catalina have been done and redone ;) New Ports for So Cal & vicinity Cruisers would be most welcomed.

:D Bobbi

Problem is you can only go so far and back in 7days and the Mexico Crime factor outside of well established and protected tourist areas has led the USDOS to put parts of Mexico on par with the Middle East in terms of travel safety.

I Would rather see the Carnival corporate brands fill this growing market Vs the RCI brands. If they can get 3 or 4 ships year round then a secure, private “island” could be done even if it’s not really an island. They have the right idea with Enesda but it is a bit far north for us cold blooded folks who are used to the Caribbean.