MSC Seaside Feb 3-10, 2018 - Awesome!

Estjali

Thank you! I loved your review and reading it has taken some of the edge off the worries I had for our upcoming cruise. Being Bella, now I am sort of hoping to end up in the overflow dining room :) I will just giggle at any overbearing YC folks, as I have done my fair share of the suite life. As long as I don't smell poop I will be a happy girl!

Thanks again everyone for all the nice comments! Makes me feel good if people find my review useful or entertaining.

I forgot to mention one important thing in my review: I talked my boss at work into getting an internet package to be able to check my emails onboard, and I wanted to charge it from my employer. ;) He was ok with that, so I got the most expensive package ”Streamer” in case I needed to access our server or something. Well, luckily I didn’t. :)

Streamer can be used with up to 4 devices and includes 1.5GB of data (+20% if booked in advance, so we got 1.8GB in total). It should be noted that as the package was booked only for me, my girlfriend had to log in with my account to use the internet on her phone. This was not an issue and she could be logged in to MSC for Me app with her own account at the same time.

I was very surprised when logging in for the first time as the system showed that I had 6.5GB of data available! That’s 3.6 times as much as I (read: my employer) paid for. I wasn’t gonna complain and we started using it. Internet worked well everywhere we tried it and was fast enough, so no issues with the access.

If you’re planning on using the internet on board, be careful to disable automatic app updates and other stuff as these may use a lot of data in the background. Also my girlfriend’s Facebook app used ~100MB every time she accessed internet, even without opening the app (it seemed to update something in the background that we weren’t able to disable). I asked her to delete the app and use the internet (Safari) version which I use, it uses much less data.

Despite MSC’s generosity, we didn’t need the whole data allowance and ended up using approx. 1.9GB after uploading pics and videos to FB and sending them to our families back home.

Thanks again everyone for all the nice comments! Makes me feel good if people find my review useful or entertaining.

I forgot to mention one important thing in my review: I talked my boss at work into getting an internet package to be able to check my emails onboard, and I wanted to charge it from my employer. ;) He was ok with that, so I got the most expensive package ”Streamer” in case I needed to access our server or something. Well, luckily I didn’t. :)

Streamer can be used with up to 4 devices and includes 1.5GB of data (+20% if booked in advance, so we got 1.8GB in total). It should be noted that as the package was booked only for me, my girlfriend had to log in with my account to use the internet on her phone. This was not an issue and she could be logged in to MSC for Me app with her own account at the same time.

I was very surprised when logging in for the first time as the system showed that I had 6.5GB of data available! That’s 3.6 times as much as I (read: my employer) paid for. I wasn’t gonna complain and we started using it. Internet worked well everywhere we tried it and was fast enough, so no issues with the access.

If you’re planning on using the internet on board, be careful to disable automatic app updates and other stuff as these may use a lot of data in the background. Also my girlfriend’s Facebook app used ~100MB every time she accessed internet, even without opening the app (it seemed to update something in the background that we weren’t able to disable). I asked her to delete the app and use the internet (Safari) version which I use, it uses much less data.

Despite MSC’s generosity, we didn’t need the whole data allowance and ended up using approx. 1.9GB after uploading pics and videos to FB and sending them to our families back home.

Thanks...Thats good to know!!!

Disembarkation: I posted the departure schedule for Miami earlier today (and attached the image again in this post). We were allocated 9:15am disembarkation time, but opted for the Express walk off instead as you had to vacate your cabin by 7am anyways. Also we had booked a rental car and planned to continue our trip to Fort Myers (where we came today) for a few more days so wanted to get off earlier. The process went smoothly, and although there were dozens and dozens of others in the Express walk off line, it went quickly. We left the breakfast room at 7:15am and were at the Budget by 8am.

First off, thank you for this great review. We leave this Saturday for our Seaside cruise and are looking forward to it very much.

I noticed on the disembarkation times you posted that there is a special grouping for guests with transfers to the airport. Do you happen to know if those transfers are available for purchase on the ship or are they pre-arranged? We have a fairly early flight out of MIA on our return and looking for the best option to give us enough time. Planning on doing the express walk-off, but the transfer has me intrigued now.

Again, thank you!

First off, thank you for this great review. We leave this Saturday for our Seaside cruise and are looking forward to it very much.

I noticed on the disembarkation times you posted that there is a special grouping for guests with transfers to the airport. Do you happen to know if those transfers are available for purchase on the ship or are they pre-arranged? We have a fairly early flight out of MIA on our return and looking for the best option to give us enough time. Planning on doing the express walk-off, but the transfer has me intrigued now.

Again, thank you!

Hi bren924,

Thanks for your comments.

Sorry but I don’t know whether you could buy an airport transfer onboard. I know they arranged trips in Miami (city tours, Everglades tours etc.) that ended at the airport. You could buy the tours onboard, so I would assume MSC would also sell airport transfers on board. But then again, I don’t know for sure.

Express walk off was easy and we got a taxi in front of the terminal without waiting, there were plenty available.

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments!

I could add a piece of review under the entertainment section regarding the activities on board.

Waterslides: Before going into waterslides, you’ll have to sign a waiver and you’ll get a wristband to wear until you’re done with the slides. The two (partially see-through) slides on the starboard side were really nice and fast if you lay down. I tried these on the second day and the last sea day; there were no lines on the second day and some on the last. On the latter it took less than 5 minutes in the line. Not bad and very nice slides.

The Slideboarding ride however was a letdown. It’s a game-like ride where you ride a board that has colored buttons in the handles. Inside the tube there are lights (red/green) and you try to press the corresponding button under the light to score points. Sounds fun, but wasn’t. Let me explain why.

I tried it on the last sea day and there was a line for the boards. I may have waited for 15 minutes for the board. During that time I saw the staff member coming down from the tube after the slide board 4-5 times. I thought he may have slipped into the tube as he pushed everyone in, or just pushing the younger kids for speed as they are too light. After receiving my board, I went up to queue for the ride itself. I waited another 10 minutes for the ride.

The ride started ok and I pushed the colored buttons on the way, but soon got stuck inside the tube. The tube operator slid in after hearing I was stuck (he yelled in and asked if I was) and pushed me down. Clearly there is a design fault in the ride, as many people got stuck. Anyways I didn’t get to enjoy the ride and didn’t want to try again.

Zipline: We both used the Funpass ($10 each) to pay for the zipline. For this you needed to sign a waiver and get a ticket from the 7th deck arcade cave. You can also buy it on the upper decks for $10 if it’s not included in your cruise fare. But for Funpass, 7th floor it is.

There was no line when I went, but my girlfriend had to queue for about 10 minutes.

As others have said, the zipline is rather slow and not thrilling, but provides a nice view and is worth trying out. I tried to take my GoPro tied to my wrist but they wouldn’t let us do that, as it apparently is a safety risk.

XD Cinema: Again we used our Funpass for this ($10 each). In the XD ride you sit on a seat that moves with the movie and blast something with laser guns. You’ll wear 3D glasses as well. We chose the zombie ride (there was also a Godzilla ride and a Sheriff ride for the kids). The ride was fun and action packed as you try to escape from the zombies and blast them while you do. Needless to say, my girlfriend beat me again in this. I sound like a real sissy don’t I? :')

Thanks for your great review and making so easy to read. Question, was Gatsby night held on a formal night during your sailing?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi nautica34,

Thanks for the comment.

There was a Gatsby party on the latter elegant night on our cruise, which took place on Thursday.

There was also an Italian night (which wasn’t advertised and the only ones dressed in green-white-red were the restaurant staff) and a white party.

Thanks for the review!

We really liked the MSC Divina and were eagerly anticipating the Seaside. Recently we’ve became discouraged after all of the negative reviews being posted about the Seaside.

Thanks to your review we’re once again looking forward to our cruise on the Seaside in September!

My thanks also for your review. I had a question on the zip line. I assume they require footwear, bu t wasn't sure if sandals were okay or if you had to have laced sneakers or the like. Thanks again for your insights so far! Extremely helpful.

My thanks also for your review. I had a question on the zip line. I assume they require footwear, bu t wasn't sure if sandals were okay or if you had to have laced sneakers or the like. Thanks again for your insights so far! Extremely helpful.

Hi JAGR,

Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding footwear in the zipline, my girlfriend went barefoot (and I saw many others do the same) and I wore sandals (the ones with straps). I believe they only care if they are the kind that may fall off during the flight, so I wouldn’t wear flip-flops.

What a lovely review, and is very much in line with our experience a couple of week's prior. So glad you had a positive experience! We would love to sail Seaside again or possibly Divina, but unfortunately we are all booked up through 2019. Regardless we would not hesitate to return to Seaside. Your review took me right back and reminded me just how great a week it was!

"XD Cinema: Again we used our Funpass for this ($10 each). In the XD ride you sit on a seat that moves with the movie and blast something with laser guns. You’ll wear 3D glasses as well. We chose the zombie ride (there was also a Godzilla ride and a Sheriff ride for the kids). The ride was fun and action packed as you try to escape from the zombies and blast them while you do. Needless to say, my girlfriend beat me again in this. I sound like a real sissy don’t I?"

Ok, this seems more my style no heights or water involved. Is this a solo experience and then you check points afterward. Yep, you guessed it I have never done this before.

"XD Cinema: Again we used our Funpass for this ($10 each). In the XD ride you sit on a seat that moves with the movie and blast something with laser guns. You’ll wear 3D glasses as well. We chose the zombie ride (there was also a Godzilla ride and a Sheriff ride for the kids). The ride was fun and action packed as you try to escape from the zombies and blast them while you do. Needless to say, my girlfriend beat me again in this. I sound like a real sissy don’t I?"

Ok, this seems more my style no heights or water involved. Is this a solo experience and then you check points afterward. Yep, you guessed it I have never done this before.

Hi Linda,

XD cinema had seats side by side, I think around 8-10 in total. It wasn’t busy at all and we got to ride just the two of us. The game shows your score on the screen at the end and you can compare.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a sneak peek of what you'll get with your Classic drinks package:

:tropical-drink::cool:

That video includes a shot of someone helping themselves to the mini-bar which is definitely NOT included in the Classic package. It's only included in the deluxe (premium).

However, it's a great video! :)

That video includes a shot of someone helping themselves to the mini-bar which is definitely NOT included in the Classic package. It's only included in the deluxe (premium).

However, it's a great video! :)

Good catch Beamafar. Minibar is not included in Classic package, unless you take cans of beer/cider/soda from the bar and put them in your minibar. Then it's ok. :D

However, the last shot is actually from our Airbnb place in Florida - there's some food stuff on the fridge door, which you don't have in your cabin minibar. :)

Good catch Beamafar. Minibar is not included in Classic package, unless you take cans of beer/cider/soda from the bar and put them in your minibar. Then it's ok. :D

However, the last shot is actually from our Airbnb place in Florida - there's some food stuff on the fridge door, which you don't have in your cabin minibar. :)

It's funny - I thought the mini-bar didn't quite look right when I showed the video to my husband. It was the cider that caught my attention, though. I was wondering if it had been specially requested, though, on further thoughts, it couldn't be as it's not a mini-bar item to begin with. Anyway, you caught me out! ;)

Nice review, I think I will stay away from the slide with the board. One of my fears is being stuck in a waterslide LOL. I think I can sit that one out.

I really would like to try the bowling(Though I would almost bring my own bowling shoes) and the simulators, thinking maybe one of the package things might be good for us to purchase. Though I take it they are something we can get on board, not pre-purchased?