QM2 dress code for women

chloe kitty

I would just like to add a quick couple of comments to this thread if I may. I personally have reasons why I cannot wear evening dresses on formal nights and I am sure I am not the only one to have problems.

1.) I have had extensive breast surgery and need to wear industrial strength bras. Consequently, dresses with low necks or backs are completely out of the question. Nor can I wear strappy or strapless models.

2.) I am a mature, not to say elderly, lady and also on the large side although not very tall. I have recently lost some weight and therefore my upper arms are definitely best hidden!

3.) I challenge anyone to find a fancy, stylish evening dress/ballgown that would cover me up whilst still looking attractive. It's never going to happen!

So, all you particular and judgemental people who look down their noses at other ladies, whilst thanking goodness that your taste is so much better, please try to remember that we are all far from perfect and there may be very good reasons why some people are unable to attain your lofty standards. I try very hard to look smart on formal nights and I wouldn't think of wearing plain trousers and a plain blouse on those occasions but I will wear stylish tops and trousers/long skirts and do my best to ignore the disapproval of the upper echelons.

I would have posted some pics of my outfits to find out whether they pass muster, but I've yet to discover how to do that.

Since you presented a challenge. I just searched two major US retailers. One is a huge bridal chain that also sells dresses for wedding guests. The other is a nationally recognized Fifth Avenue shopping destination. From $200, all the way up to thousannds, there were dresses with long sleeves, capelets, and jackets. They do want to sell evening wear to women who are over age 23 and weighing more than 105 pounds.

Since you presented a challenge. I just searched two major US retailers. One is a huge bridal chain that also sells dresses for wedding guests. The other is a nationally recognized Fifth Avenue shopping destination. From $200, all the way up to thousannds, there were dresses with long sleeves, capelets, and jackets. They do want to sell evening wear to women who are over age 23 and weighing more than 105 pounds.
DW has had very good luck finding appropriate long gowns at Macy's, Dillard's and Nordstroms locally. However, selection availability varies according to the season. Sometimes, they are sold as "Mother of the Bride" dresses.

Unfortunately, major US retailers aren't much use to me. I live in England. Nevertheless, I have looked on the sites you mention BobBranst, and Dillard's in particular have some lovely things. However, the dresses I happen to like are either too expensive or totally inappropriate for my shape and unique problems. Thank you for your suggestions though.

If someone would give me a clue how to post photos I would put a couple up for approval (or maybe disapproval).

Like many cruisers on here we wanted to cruise with Cunard and we had neither dinner suit nor evening dress, so we did a bit of a sneaky thing that some others never think of doing - we went out and bought the clothes. Now how clever is that.

Instead of skulking around the ship trying to avoid all the "out of bounds" areas, we went everywhere - in style, like the vast majority of passengers.

Such a simple solution.

Border Reiver - I love this post (probably because you are a fellow northerner) this post creased me up and I love your response. We also love the style and formality on Cunard, and its not necessarily a premium to achieve this. Husband got his DJ from Matalan and myself dressed by TK Maxx. (Other retailers are available :'))

Thank you Hattie but I would still love to be able to wear some of the gowns I see on other folks. I know my limitations though.

As for Border Reiver's post, we too went out and bought things once the cruise was booked. That still doesn't help me when it comes to dresses, either formal or informal.

Yes, Shropshirekitkat, my hubby also shopped at Matalan for his dinner suit and very nice he looks in it. Unfortunately, neither Matalan or TKMaxx cater for me and my needs. Well, not in the formalwear department anyway. Matalan do a nice line in jackets though and hubby has had many an outfit from there. By the way, I am a real northerner (Lancashire or Merseyside, whichever you prefer) and my Dad was born in Ellesmere, Shropshire.

Our next cruise is in June and I have purchased clothes already but not dresses.

Thank you Hattie but I would still love to be able to wear some of the gowns I see on other folks. I know my limitations though.

As for Border Reiver's post, we too went out and bought things once the cruise was booked. That still doesn't help me when it comes to dresses, either formal or informal.

Yes, Shropshirekitkat, my hubby also shopped at Matalan for his dinner suit and very nice he looks in it. Unfortunately, neither Matalan or TKMaxx cater for me and my needs. Well, not in the formalwear department anyway. Matalan do a nice line in jackets though and hubby has had many an outfit from there. By the way, I am a real northerner (Lancashire or Merseyside, whichever you prefer) and my Dad was born in Ellesmere, Shropshire.

Our next cruise is in June and I have purchased clothes already but not dresses.

ancun1 : I hope you can find something that makes you feel special for your cruise, I've noticed on the cruises we have been on its not in the specific detail, but just a general sense of having made an effort, beautiful wraps, a little bling, a gorgeous smile. What cruise are you on?

Next Cunard cruise I will wear a big bone thru my nose and go topless and my husband will only wear his loin cloth as we are from Africa and will wear “traditional” national attire-:halo:if he manages to spear a lion before the trip he will look glorious in his lions skin.

Thanks Shropshirekitkat, I have a couple of things already that I'm quite happy about. If the stuffy ladies don't like them, well tough! We're going to the Mediterranean on the Queen Victoria June 8th-22nd. We're really looking forward to it as it's been 4 years since the last one.

Good for you loerie, I'd love to witness that. You'd get a high five from me for sure! Some folks on here may not approve though and I think you may count as one of the 50% in inappropriate dress!

Thanks Shropshirekitkat, I have a couple of things already that I'm quite happy about. If the stuffy ladies don't like them, well tough! We're going to the Mediterranean on the Queen Victoria June 8th-22nd. We're really looking forward to it as it's been 4 years since the last one.

Good for you loerie, I'd love to witness that. You'd get a high five from me for sure! Some folks on here may not approve though and I think you may count as one of the 50% in inappropriate dress!

Ahh thats a shame, was hoping you might be on our cruise to Norway, also in June. I've only (knowingly) experienced one slightly "stuffy lady" look. It was an informal night and I was wearing white linen cropped trousers, a very bling top with sequins, silver sandals and a silver clutch bag. I'm hoping she was thinking "wow" but it certainly didn't bother me either way. Enjoy yourself xx

That would have been fun SKK, we could have shocked the stuffy ladies together! Your informal outfit sounds absolutely fine to me. P'raps we're just common!

Our last cruise was to the Baltic so we touched on Norway although the weather wasn't the best that day. I hope you enjoy your trip too. xx

Personally I think that the standard of dress in the gymnasiums should also be addressed - far too many people there wear cotton T-shirts. Proper gym attire should be worn at all times.

Formal%20Night3.jpg?t=1520027164Formal%20night1.jpg?t=1520027166Formal%20Night2.jpg?t=1520027166

Three pics of some of my formal night outfits and one more of an informal night.

Informal%20Night.jpg?t=1520027166

I have no clue whether this will work.

I think you look very elegant in these. I’m of an age where I no longer feel comfortable in low neck or sleeveless dresses. I have a long black velvet short sleeve dress which i have had for more years than I can count and I wear it with a velvet jacket. I also wear long skirts with long sleeve or three quarter sleeve lace or silky tops. Phase Eight have some nice things and they have stand alone shops, there is one in the Trafford Centre, a website and John Lewis also stock that brand. We are on the QE again in July and are looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm really hoping that your post is typical Aussie humour and very much tongue in cheek Bazzaw. If not, I'm speechless!

Thank you Autumn Lass, firstly for your kind remarks and secondly for the suggestion of Phase Eight. They have some really lovely things but unfortunately, many are either out of my price range or they only have smaller sizes left. I have bookmarked their website though and will be browsing it often. Enjoy your cruise in July.

Ancun1 I will also be on QV June 8th to the Med (just paid the balance today!).

I think all of your pictured outfits look lovely and elegant.

I also suffer from similar problems as you (industrial strength bras that need hiding, definitely rather overweight but have lost some recently, short). However, the awful shape of my legs means I very rarely wear trousers as they look so awful on me. I have therefore managed to find a selection of dresses, gathered over the years, all at a reasonable price. I look out for dresses in the sales on sites like Marisota and have even managed to find a few in shops like Bonmarche and Yours. You sometimes have to search amongst the dresses for the younger sector but I have found some nice dresses to wear for the evenings on board, including formal long dresses.

I look forwards to hopefully meeting you on board in June.

Formal%20Night3.jpg?t=1520027164Formal%20night1.jpg?t=1520027166Formal%20Night2.jpg?t=1520027166

Three pics of some of my formal night outfits and one more of an informal night.

Informal%20Night.jpg?t=1520027166

I have no clue whether this will work.

These all look perfect...I don't know what you are worrying about. Your outfits look very glamorous [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind comments Cassandra14, people like you make me feel better.

Thank you too Camgirl and I love your suggestion of Bon Marche, I have never looked for dresses in there. I'll have a look when I next go into town. I buy loads of things from Marisota or JD Williams or whatever else they call themselves. I find that I'm lucky with shoes from them because they do wide fittings. I've had tons of stuff from Yours too but not recently.

It would be lovely to meet up with you when we're on our cruise. You obviously have some of the same problems that I suffer. Definitely kindred spirits!

Thank you for your kind comments Cassandra14, people like you make me feel better.

Thank you too Camgirl and I love your suggestion of Bon Marche, I have never looked for dresses in there. I'll have a look when I next go into town. I buy loads of things from Marisota or JD Williams or whatever else they call themselves. I find that I'm lucky with shoes from them because they do wide fittings. I've had tons of stuff from Yours too but not recently.

It would be lovely to meet up with you when we're on our cruise. You obviously have some of the same problems that I suffer. Definitely kindred spirits!

That would be really good ancun1.

Ancun1, I too will be on this cruise. Camgirl and I have been friends for some years since meeting on a cruise (and on this site first) but somehow, despite regular emails, we had failed to work out that we will be on the same cruise this year. Now I'm excited!

Nothing wrong with those tops! Very nice.

I notice you are a Northerner. Will you be travelling to Southampton by car perhaps, the day before? If so, look at making a detour to Swindon. They have a House of Fraser outlet store and it has wonderful clothes for cruising. I get all of mine there, now. The House of Fraser is situated in the Brunel Centre. Not far away is the Swindon Outlet Centre (which contains a Phase Eight store), though I rarely have much luck there any more. If you like the clothes on sale in the House of Fraser website, then you should like the outlet store. You don't find all the same clothes there, of course, but it's the same designers.

Diane

Look forward to seeing you Camgirl.

Thank you for your comment Diane and how lovely that you and Camgirl will be able to meet up again. I will look out for you both. No, we are not travelling by car. We are cruising with my sister and her husband who live near Stafford so we will drive down to them and stay at their house overnight on the Thursday travelling by train to Southampton on the Friday. Thank you for your suggestions though, I will certainly take a look at their website. Mind you, I think hubby might look a bit askance if I bring any more new clothes into the house particularly as he hasn't yet bought anything new!

People have been so kind and friendly since my original post, it really restores my faith in humankind. It seems that most people don't look down their noses at us mere mortals so I'll feel a lot more comfortable in my trousers and what I laughingly call "nice tops". (quote from an earlier post!)

I will look out for you both.

People have been so kind and friendly since my original post, it really restores my faith in humankind. It seems that most people don't look down their noses at us mere mortals so I'll feel a lot more comfortable in my trousers and what I laughingly call "nice tops". (quote from an earlier post!)

Hopefully we'll meet up at some point. Camgirl (and her husband) and I are generally to be found in the ballroom in the evening, wearing our 'nice tops':D;) as we dance. I have a range of clothes. I have some lovely long dresses, shorter cocktail dresses, but also trousers and sparkly tops. Like both of you, I choose clothes that cover the tops of my arms. However, I have to go for short sleeves as I like to dance and get too hot in long sleeves.