Looking to cruise Europe in May 2019

kaytamar

Weather is a big factor that time of year. I took an Ireland/Scotland/Norway cruise in mid-May a few years ago and the temperature never got above 10C/50F. Similarly either a Baltics cruise or an Eastern Med with ports in the Adriatic or Greek Isles will be iffy, though you will be ahead of the peak season crowds. I would lean toward sailing out of Barcelona with calls in the French and Italian Riviera, and Mallorca if possible.

We went on a Mediterranean cruise last May and the weather was simply phenomenal - I would always go again in May. This year we are doing the Baltic and not sure what to expect but prepared for cold or warm. Our favorite is still the Med and Greece.....wish they were still going to Istanbul as that was the greatest.

eclue:cool:

• 2 months later...

I would start by researching some ports, deciding what interests you most, do you like port intensive or are you a more of a sea day type.

Don't let weather be a deciding factor, no way to predict it. I did a May Baltic cruise after a TA which was warmer than normal, 70's in St. Petersburg. Many people were over prepared with heavy clothes. Everyone was surprised, one rainy, overcast day in Oslo, the rest were perfect. The key is layers, dress properly and weather doesn't matter.

I realize this was an exception rather than normal, but I would not let weather dictate where or when I go on a cruise. I enjoy all the Europe ports, so much to see and experience. I've been to Spain many times, I will do a Baltic cruise again, the Med is great, going around the British Isles is nice, too.

Here is a site with great info: https://www.whatsinport.com/index.htm

looking to do the europe next year the one that leave from Leharve. question where do you fly into? Paris was cheaper but not sure how to get to port from air port. also is it better to go june/july?

Yes, Paris CDG is your airport. You can use Princess transfers or go on your own on the train if you spend time in Paris first.

If cruising in April / early May, I would choose the Med.

Northern Europe is cool at this time and is best cruised in July when we have very long days. For example, in the U.K. we get 16 hours with the sun above the horizon in June with sunset being around 9pm plus around one hour of additional dusk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would prioritize the ports and sights that I wanted to experience, and choose an itinerary and date from there.

Certainly late in May might be a bit warmer/nicer than late April.

We are planning to cruise Europe departing the end of Sept. next year.

We were not super impressed with the Princess ships and itineraries currently planned, and saw the 10 day Med. Mosaic on the HAL new-build that is coming out. Both Rome and Athens, Naples, Santorini, Dubrovnik, etc...

There should be fewer ships and crowds in Ports off season. Which is what I am seeing so far on our itinerary.

I would rather cruise in May, just before the summer heat and crowds... Instead of at the end of the season.

But, I am hoping for good weather.

I am not thinking that Springtime would be as super desirable in Italy and Greece as it might in the Eastern/Northern Med.

What do you think the best European cruise would be in late April/early May? There are so many from which to choose, it’s hard to decide! All recommendations are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got back off the Crown, a wonderful Grand Med Cruise. We departed from Barcelona on 4/17, ports of

Marseille, Livorno, sea day, Katakolon, Mykonos, Santorini, sea day, Kotor, sea day, Naples and ended up in Rome. The weather was just perfect, though was warmer than expected in Naples and Rome (low 80s and

high humidity). No rain, clear skies most days, windy in Greek isles. As mentioned earlier, look at itineraries

offered and see where your interests are. I prefer weather on the cooler side (70s) so would not go any later

than mid-May. I didn't think low 80s would be uncomfortable, but with crowds in larger cities (Rome especially)

it was almost unbearable.

We were told the crowds weren't bad (compared to July and Aug) but the Vatican in particular was tight! Wall to wall people and HOT!

Anyway, have fun planning and even more fun cruising! As an aside, we've always been curious about staying

in an aft balcony cabin and we booked C752. It was great! Awesome wake view, quiet, would book again in

a second.

I also have to add that I believe Princess does a great job in scheduling port stops. With the exception of Naples and of course Rome, we were the only ship in port. What a difference that made!