Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

Carnival ...people dress like slobs and yet they want a 4 star dining experience. Tired of hearing " but the air fare"....and yet want to know about Halloween Costumes. Stop dressing as if you are going to McDonald's. You are embarrassing. No wonder Carnival is labeled as the Walmart of cruise lines.

And another one with a superiority complex I choose to ignore on these boards.

I've never eaten at the Golden Corral and you guys are making me feel very left out lol...I don't think we have them in So Cal and if we do not near me...like Crackle Barrel...we don't have those either...but I guess maybe In N Out makes up for it...I couldn't say lol....

We both know that there aren't many places better than In N Out. :cool:

I know this is a coincidence and just based on what’s trending at the moment but as I was reviewing the boards just now the three posts beginning the Carnival board were, in order, the thread with the video of the huge brawl on the Legend, a thread about a rumored murder-suicide on the Freedom, and this one about enforcing the dress code.

Sort of gives you a sense of perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be my guess that a lot of cruisers, especially new ones, have absolutely no idea about Elegant Night nor what it entails.

If you do not know about Elegant Night, you might not even pack clothes that are acceptable for Elegant Night.

I agree. My first cruise we didn’t know about the elegant night so we didn’t pack for it. On my cruise with my dad, we didn’t know what days were elegant dining days so when we arrived in casual attire and were turned away, we shrugged it off and went to the lido deck to eat and chill.

A rule stops being a rule when it's no longer enforced. Scores of posts here and on JH's Facebook prove that the rule is not being enforced.

It comes down to minding your business in my opinion. If I paid their cruise ticket, then I'll tell them what to wear. Since I didn't, I'll mind my own business. Their decision to wear shorts to dinner has nothing to do with me. So should everyone else in my opinion.

*round of applause*

I've never eaten at the Golden Corral and you guys are making me feel very left out lol...I don't think we have them in So Cal and if we do not near me...like Crackle Barrel...we don't have those either...but I guess maybe In N Out makes up for it...I couldn't say lol....
GC is like Hometown Buffet in SoCal. We have had both. In my experience, GC is more of a petri dish tho. We dont eat there because its gotten over priced and honestly not worth the risk of sickness, especially during flu season. Ours in Springfield, MO gets insanely crowded. In & Out is one of the few things we miss about living in SoCal and we stop in Dallas for lunch whenever we sail out of Galveston!

Dont feel bad for a second about not having a GC [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

To those who worry so much about what others wear, why can't you mind your own business? If Carnival tolerates it, why does it bother you,,,,maybe you are the problem!

You can spend your entire cruise complaining about something, which it seems some of you likely do, dress in the MDR, Chair hogs, etc., or just enjoy your cruise focusing on who you are with, ignore the others!

BTW strictly enforced MDR is nowhere to be found on any of the main cruise lines, we've seen tank tops on RCL, baseball hats on NCL, etc.! We still enjoyed our dinner!

We have heard that Cunard is still really strict, try them if this is such a big deal to you!

It boils down to basic human decency, which is rapidly decaying. I mean really folks, if budget is the issue, a decent pair of slacks and a button down shirt can be had at most thrift stores for under $20.

Thank you for volunteering your $20 to help me out.

Is it a dress “code” like back in elementary through high school, where you get sent to the Deans office if you don’t comply? Or is it a suggested attire for the event of the night, for example, dressy or formalwear for the Captains Dinner, or an all white outfit for a Glow/White Party?

Is it a dress “code” like back in elementary through high school, where you get sent to the Deans office if you don’t comply? Or is it a suggested attire for the event of the night, for example, dressy or formalwear for the Captains Dinner, or an all white outfit for a Glow/White Party?

They are just suggestions because the guest make up is international. They are merely providing some examples of what their terminology means. It is in no way a comprehensive list or a rigid requirement.

I know this is a coincidence and just based on what’s trending at the moment but as I was reviewing the boards just now the three posts beginning the Carnival board were, in order, the thread with the video of the huge brawl on the Legend, a thread about a rumored murder-suicide on the Freedom, and this one about enforcing the dress code.

Sort of gives you a sense of perspective.

What perspective would that be?

They are just suggestions because the guest make up is international. They are merely providing some examples of what their terminology means. It is in no way a comprehensive list or a rigid requirement.

Actually what is under discussion is specifically attire for elegant evenings.

While they do give some "suggestions", the do actually have a list of attire that is "Not Permitted".

From their own website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Here is the link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

So again, this discussion has never really been about whether people should be wearing these things, but whether Carnival should enforce the rule if they have it.

It is the same as anything else "Not Permitted" on ship, if they are going to not bother enforcing it then why not do away with the restriction for those that actually bother following the rules.

To those opposed to a dress code I will say this. Perhaps Carnival will associate their food offerings to match their clientele and how they dress. I mean, if people want to continue to look like slobs in the MDR in their cut-off jeans and Harley Davidson t-shirts with no guilt then Carnival will continue to slowly match their food to the people they serve. Carnival will figure that the trailer trash coming to the MDR will be ok with inferior basic foods, trash won't mind. If people dressed up a little and kept some class in the MDR than Carnival won't be so quick to serve a hot dog on a stick and some tater tots to the person in a dress shirt and tie sitting before them. "Classier", if I can use that term, people are going to demand a little more respect and better product by Carnival. If I were a waiter and I had to serve your table and you looked like a disrespectful slob I'd feel no guilt putting a can of Spaghetti-O's in front of you. People's lack of caring what they look/dress like leads to a lower quality product provided to you eventually.

Here is the link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

So basically while they do give you some guidelines, there are some things that are "Not Permitted".

While you won't get sent to the Deans office, they are supposed to turn you away and suggest you return in more appropriate attire.

The issue is that while they are not enforcing this. So the question then is why bother having it?

To use your example of a dress code in school...

If you are one of those people who follows the rules (and believes everyone should) and dress appropriately, then see other students wearing things clearly "Not Permitted" but the dress code but no one does anything about it, how would you feel?

Some people wouldn't care at all.

Others would be frustrated that the rules apparently don't mean anything since they aren't being enforced.

And if that is the case, then what other rules are really "optional"?

Why bother following any of the "rules" if they aren't going to be enforced?

That is the kind of thinking, of course, that leads to chaos.

As I have said before in this thread, I really don't much care what other people are wearing on Elegant evenings.

But if there is a rule, enforce it or do away with it.

So again, this discussion has never really been about whether people should be wearing these things, but whether Carnival should enforce the rule if they have it.

It is the same as anything else "Not Permitted" on ship, if they are going to not bother enforcing it then why not do away with the restriction for those that actually bother following the rules.

People that want to dress up would continue to do so if restrictions were removed. I'm not connecting how the restriction being there impacts people who would have chosen to follow that guideline whether published or not?

There may be some who follow the restrictions out of blind compliance and not personal preference, so I guess it could help them.

Everything else under "not permitted" seems to be something that would directly negatively impact someone; saving deck chairs, smoking where not permitted, etc.

Far more of the posts are derogatory towards actual clothing choice vs adhering to a rule. But I do have a nice fellow from Utah offering to buy me $20 worth of clothing from Goodwill, so I've that going on this Sunday. :)

People's lack of caring what they look/dress like leads to a lower quality product provided to you eventually.

The companies lack of effort leads to people caring less about participating. No lobster. No more beef wellington. No more gala midnight buffet on 98% of the cruises. Wait staff that stops midservice to dance on stripper podiums. No more MDR lunch. No more dedicated bar service in MDR. Now they charge for decent tea at tea time.

So while I watch my ravioli or prime rib get cold so I can watch my waiter grind it out to Apple Bottom Jeans I must do so in a suit so I can be a background player in someones fantasy? People say they have no opportunity to dress nicely except for elegant night on a cruise. WRONG! You can choose to dress elegantly any night of your life. You can do it every night of your cruise. Why do people need a newsletter to control them?

But Carnival has everyone convinced that everyone else is demanding cheaper and cheaper cruises with more cutbacks. I'd rather pay 5% 10% more and have a much more inclusive base experience (higher quality offerings included w cruise fare). Provide refined, efficient but unhurried service, good food, dispense with the trashy floor show, and I'll throw on my slacks and jacket that the Utah guy is going to buy for me.

Don’t know really — I wasn’t criticizing people concerned about dress codes; to the contrary, I found that a comfortingly normal topic. The juxtaposition just kind of struck me as worth commenting on

Don’t know really — I wasn’t criticizing people concerned about dress codes; to the contrary, I found that a comfortingly normal topic. The juxtaposition just kind of struck me as worth commenting on

This was in response to declansdad’s post, btw.

People that want to dress up would continue to do so if restrictions were removed. I'm not connecting how the restriction being there impacts people who would have chosen to follow that guideline whether published or not?

There may be some who follow the restrictions out of blind compliance and not personal preference, so I guess it could help them.

Everything else under "not permitted" seems to be something that would directly negatively impact someone; saving deck chairs, smoking where not permitted, etc.

Far more of the posts are derogatory towards actual clothing choice vs adhering to a rule. But I do have a nice fellow from Utah offering to buy me $20 worth of clothing from Goodwill, so I've that going on this Sunday. :)

I suppose it may be more of a mental thing, then.

If I have taken the time to make sure that I am following the rules, and not dressing in anything "Not Permitted", but then see someone else clearly not following the rules and it's just accepted so they won't complain, that does bother me.

I'm definitely one of those people who tend to follow rules, because generally they are there for a reason, even if I don't understand what that reason is.

So I believe that rules should be enforced when they exist.

However I also believe that there shouldn't be a rule unless it serves a purpose.

I don't think people should be unduly restricted, especially on vacation.

As you said, most of the rules on smoking, no diapers in the pool, no running on wet decks, etc. are there to serve as a protection. I completely agree with that.

Some of the rules are there as a courtesy. (No saving deck chairs, which you mentioned).

The MDR is supposed to be a nicer venue for dining than the buffet.

That's why they require you to dress up a bit more.

The Steakhouse has a stricter dress code than the MDR.

You can bet if I was paying $35 extra for a meal and the person who gets seated at my table is wearing a wet bathing suit, I'd be pretty upset.

And remember that we are talking about one, maybe two nights out of the entire cruise that they require you to follow this dress code.

Just a few hours out of your entire vacation.

The reason the rules are there is because it is supposed to be a special occasion, a special event.

It isn't as though people "didn't know" ahead of time.

And it isn't like they don't have the opportunity to put something more appropriate on.

If they really don't want to follow the rule, then there are definitely other dining options for them.

You are right that there are those of us who would dress up regardless.

And the way someone else is dressed doesn't really impact how delicious my lobster will be (that's all on the chef).

I just agree that they need to either enforce the rule, or do away with it.

And remember that we are talking about one, maybe two nights out of the entire cruise that they require you to follow this dress code.

Just a few hours out of your entire vacation.

The reason the rules are there is because it is supposed to be a special occasion, a special event.

Exactly, it's just a couple of hours, so if someone doesn't participate, no one else should get wound up about it. It's a lot of extra luggage for me to bring formal wear just to put it on for dinner and take it off right after. And it isn't required. It's just a guideline to understand their terminology. Do you really think people do it because they believe it is a requirement? Only two things are required the entire cruise; muster drill, and get off the ship the last morning.

There's NOTHING special anymore. Carnival cut out ALL the special theming and offerings of formal or elegant nights. It's all gone. Okay, on elegant night they put a tablecloth on. That's hardly a high bar! It maybe used to be special, but it sure isn't anymore.

I'm plain not interested in doing it with the current state of Carnivals offering.

If you think or feel it is still special, enjoy it! I see it as just more photo people to say no to and the service and food are pretty much the same every night.

What was special on your last elegant evening besides the stripper podium floorshow?