New To Royal... What are the differences to be aware of

nb1005

After cruising more than 20+ times with Carnival, I thought I would branch out and try something different. Currently I am booked on the Empress of the Seas leaving in a few weeks.

What differences should I expect? Can I bring on my own soda or water?

How is Chops compared to the steak house on Carnival.

If my check in says 11:30 and I get to the port earlier, will I need to wait till my time?

What should I not miss?

Thanks to all of you in advance for any help or assistance

Soda and water are technically prohibited, but usually allowed.

There is no equivalent to FTTF on Royal.

There is no equivalent to Early Saver on Royal.

Suggested arrival times have not been enforced by Royal at US ports.

Some people will say that one is better than the other, but I argue that both cruise lines are about the same. I personally believe that RCI's ships are nicer, but Carnival offers more in the base rate. Empress is the smallest RCI ship, which I'm sure you already know, so I wouldn't use it as your basis to judge all of their ships. I did a review last year, take a look if you'd like. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2524443

I've never been to either steakhouse, but plan on trying Chops for my upcoming cruise so I can't offer any insight.

There isn't a whole lot to do on the Empress so you can't miss much. Don't forget to check out the "secret" decks at the front of the ship.

After cruising more than 20+ times with Carnival, I thought I would branch out and try something different. Currently I am booked on the Empress of the Seas leaving in a few weeks.

What differences should I expect? Can I bring on my own soda or water?

How is Chops compared to the steak house on Carnival.

If my check in says 11:30 and I get to the port earlier, will I need to wait till my time?

What should I not miss?

Thanks to all of you in advance for any help or assistance

We have always cruised Carnival but became dissatisfied with the crowd. We just got off Independence of the Sea and it was awesome in fact booked a future cruise on the Allure. I realize the ship you are booking on is smaller but the ships are beautiful but the biggest difference to us was the clientele. The atmosphere was more respectful but also fun. No crude dressing or rude people, no very crude comedy shows until last night. We were very pleased and service was excellent and food good. We will not be going back to Carnival and we also enjoyed NCL which was about the same as RCL. Can't comment on the speciality dining.

The two cruise lines are more similar than different.

Chops and the Steakhouse on Carnival are very similar. Good steaks, great service, similar menu. I would be hard pressed to choose between the two. I can't compare the Italian, as I've never had Carnival's Italian restaurant. Carnival's japanese restaurant, in my opinion are superior to Izumi's on Royal Caribbean. I found Carnival's sushi to be fresher and tastier, but Royal Caribbean's Izumi's sushi seem to be slightly lesser quality. I'm not sure if there is an Izumi on Empress though.

Royal Caribbean does not enforce staggered check in, so you can check in whenever. However, 11:30 is usually the earliest time period. Earlier than that, you may still check in, but you might not be able to board until they clear the ship. Disembarking, I've been on as late as 10:30am from a 7:00am arrival.

Differences that I notice. Cruise directors are not as in your face and energetic as Carnival's. However, the result, to me, is a more relaxing cruise, but more disconnect with my fellow passengers. Carnival likes to push audience participation more aggressively, some find it off-putting while others find that it connects you to your fellow guests better. Personal preference.

Chef's table. I'm not sure if you've done it on Carnival before, but there are differences, which I find Royal Caribbean wins over Carnival. Carnival, gives you a kitchen tour and demonstration (see passenger participation above) which Royal Caribbean does not. However, at dinner, Carnival provides a red and white wine that goes with dinner. Royal Caribbean takes that extra step and pairs specific wines to each course. You are also free to get wines from previous courses, but this is what their sommelier has chosen for that particular.

The biggest difference for myself is RCCL'S past passenger program! Was a Milestone cruiser on Carnival before starting with RCCL. And the past passenger programs are like night and day. Therefore, very loyal to Royal. Glad to see you are giving RCCL a try. Make sure you join the Crown and Anchor club! They say the Empress of the Sea is the smallest ship with the biggest heart!:)