Please help us get up to speed fast.

cdn_tbird

Hi everyone,

We're fairly novice cruisers with just 3 cruises under our belt (2 on X and 1 on RCCL). We were booked for a cruise on X this Dec. that ended up getting chartered. While I think the OBC portion of the compensation was fine, none of the price protected sailings they offered were suitable for one reason or another. So instead of settling, we've decided to spread our wings and try Princess this year. We've narrowed it down to two cruises and are looking to book two balcony cabins for 5 people (DW, 2 kids, my mother, and me).

1. How can we tell which are connecting cabins? Any of the deck plans I've looked at don't seem to show this. Am I missing something?

2. Any areas on a deck we should avoid? DW & mom are both extremely light sleepers so will be staying away from the decks immediately under or over a common area deck.

3. I see that there is only one alcohol drink package for $68 USD (incl. service charge). Does Princess have "sales" on drink packages similar to how X & RCCL do every once in a while?

4. Do the experienced Princess cruisers here have any tips or other things I should be aware of?

TIA

Which ships are you looking at--it matters.

Beverage packages are sometimes included as a perk at the time of booking, or at least has been in the past. You have to watch for it.

There is a soda and more package available for the kids. SOMETIMES you can purchase a "soda only" package on board, but supposedly this is being phased out.

We have found that Princess is more generous with their soda package than X. The difference is that Princess includes only things from the bartender's gun in the package while X includes cans. My daughter drinks a lot of diet coke and was not happy on X. The dinner server would bring a can to the table and pour half of it into a small glass. He refused to leave the rest of the can. Then it took a long time to get a refill. We felt this was a rationing system and she would have been perfectly happy at being allowed to keep the rest of the can. On Princess, she gets a full, large glass at dinner and prompt refills.

The beverage package on Princess covers more than on X. On X, there were many things that exceeded the allowable price. On Princess, nearly everything is covered

Which ships are you looking at--it matters.

Beverage packages are sometimes included as a perk at the time of booking' date=' or at least has been in the past. You have to watch for it.

There is a soda and more package available for the kids. SOMETIMES you can purchase a "soda only" package on board, but supposedly this is being phased out.

We have found that Princess is more generous with their soda package than X. The difference is that Princess includes only things from the bartender's gun in the package while X includes cans. My daughter drinks a lot of diet coke and was not happy on X. The dinner server would bring a can to the table and pour half of it into a small glass. He refused to leave the rest of the can. Then it took a long time to get a refill. We felt this was a rationing system and she would have been perfectly happy at being allowed to keep the rest of the can. On Princess, she gets a full, large glass at dinner and prompt refills.

The beverage package on Princess covers more than on X. On X, there were many things that exceeded the allowable price. On Princess, nearly everything is covered[/quote']

Thanks for the info on the beverage packages. Good to know. The two ships we're looking at is the Regal Princess (Caribbean intinerary), and the other is the Ruby Princess (Mexican Riviera).

1. How can we tell which are connecting cabins? Any of the deck plans I've looked at don't seem to show this. Have you looked at Cruise Critic deck plans? They show it, IIRC.

2. Any areas on a deck we should avoid? DW & mom are both extremely light sleepers so will be staying away from the decks immediately under or over a common area deck. Don't get under or over the theater.

4. Do the experienced Princess cruisers here have any tips or other things I should be aware of? If you like Princess, be sure to purchase at least one Future Cruise Deposit per person. $100 each becomes your total deposit on a "future" cruise and includes OBC in addition. It's a great deal.

See above

OK, from my quick look up, the Regal does have connecting cabins, the Ruby does not. In fairness, I have taken this information from another site; I can't really say whether it is accurate or not. I do know that they are two different classes of Princess ships and there are many differences between them. Regal is newer; I have not sailed on that class. I have also not cruised the Ruby, but have been on her sister ships of the same class.

SO, if someone who has cruised both disagrees with me, listen to them.

Also, if you have a friend who has cruised Princess previously, have them do a "refer a friend" for each member of your party before you book. By doing so, you will each get a $25 OBC on your first cruise and they will get $25 on their next cruise. All they need is your name and e-mail; after your friend sends your info to Princess, you'll get an e-mail from Princess. You respond to it and you'll each get the OBC. This is per person, not per cabin.

If you don't have a friend, I'll be your friend, (kidding,...I think that violates CC rules maybe)

Princess has several other ways to get OBC. As above, the Future Cruise Certificate. If someone in your cabin is current or previous military, that gets OBC. If you own stock in Carnival Corporation (parent company of Princess) that gets OBC. The amounts are based on the cruise and the category selected.

Edited by moki'smommy

If you like Princess, be sure to purchase at least one Future Cruise Deposit per person. $100 each becomes your total deposit on a "future" cruise and includes OBC in addition. It's a great deal.

Thanks, we more than likely will. We did that on our last X cruise, but the way things turned out we'll be cancelling all those deposits once we've booked elsewhere.

OK' date=' from my quick look up, the Regal does have connecting cabins, the Ruby does not. In fairness, I have taken this information from another site; I can't really say whether it is accurate or not. I do know that they are two different classes of Princess ships and there are many differences between them. Regal is newer; I have not sailed on that class. I have also not cruised the Ruby, but have been on her sister ships of the same class.

[/quote']

Ruby has connecting cabins (added during the last dry dock I think). We have two this summer. On the website deck plans identify which decks have the type of cabin you want and then do a deck by deck check. Chose 'connecting cabins' in the stateroom section. When you click on a specific cabin it will have a note: Special Notes: CONNECTS WITH XXXX.

Ruby has connecting cabins (added during the last dry dock I think). We have two this summer. On the website deck plans identify which decks have the type of cabin you want and then do a deck by deck check. Chose 'connecting cabins' in the stateroom section. When you click on a specific cabin it will have a note: Special Notes: CONNECTS WITH XXXX.

One question, most Princess Balcony cabins have doors that can be opened between the balconies is that sufficient or do you have to have an inside door?

Also' date=' if you have a friend who has cruised Princess previously, have them do a "refer a friend" for each member of your party before you book. By doing so, you will each get a $25 OBC on your first cruise and they will get $25 on their next cruise. All they need is your name and e-mail; after your friend sends your info to Princess, you'll get an e-mail from Princess. You respond to it and you'll each get the OBC. This is per person, not per cabin.

If you don't have a friend, I'll be your friend, (kidding,...I think that violates CC rules maybe)[/quote']

Great to know. My mom has actually sailed with them before.

One question, most Princess Balcony cabins have doors that can be opened between the balconies is that sufficient or do you have to have an inside door?

While an inside door would be a little more convenient as we'd keep it open all the time, if it's across the balconies that would work too. Just want to avoid having to go through locking doors. :D First world problems :D

Edited by cdn_tbird

The connecting balcony cabins are mid ship Caribe and Baja decks on the Ruby. There are six cabins on port and Starboard sides on these decks. Had them for our kids and grandkids and it was great for the parents keeping an eye on their teenagers. Also all the balcony doors between were left opened. To see which cabins , go to deck plans for the individual ships. There is a area where you click on for connecting and they all show on the deck plan. Also on ruby all the Mini suites on Emerald deck are connecting. This is an addition that was added on the last dry dock.

The connecting balcony cabins are mid ship Caribe and Baja decks on the Ruby. There are six cabins on port and Starboard sides on these decks. Had them for our kids and grandkids and it was great for the parents keeping an eye on their teenagers. Also all the balcony doors between were left opened. To see which cabins , go to deck plans for the individual ships. There is a area where you click on for connecting and they all show on the deck plan. Also on ruby all the Mini suites on Emerald deck are connecting. This is an addition that was added on the last dry dock.

Thanks for the website tip. I was looking at the deck plans through a mock booking and that option isn't there.