Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Arrived in Budapest yesterday in a fairly hard rain that did clear up in the afternoon. They had gotten three straight days of rain. Nothing but blue skies today.The S.S. Beatrice is leaving tomorrow headed for Regensburg on schedule. Captain believes there is enough water in the river now to go without worry.

We left Budapest yesterday. At the moment water levels are ok to get through to Regensburg, however we won’t know for certain for 3 days as levels can change quickly.

I would never have known that such things happen.

The problem is probably is that LA is seveal time zones behind us and are just catching up with us.

:'):'):') Seems like they are weeks behind us...

BTW, unfortuantely Pfelling river level is dropping fast and now closer to the "very low stage" than to the "normal" :(. So, Marjan1, I fear you will luck out regarding that low area near Straubing.

steamboats

Doing pre cruise extension in Transylvania now, and have arrived in Bucharest before joining Viking Aegir on Friday 7th. We have been told today that Aegir can't reach Giurgiu where we should have been boarding and so have a 3 hour drive to board the ship before sailing 'Passage to Eastern Europe' towards Budapest. Hope this is our only restriction!

We are on GATE1 Baroness leaving Budapest 23rd of September to Amsterdam thank you everyone for posting. At least I know what to expect this is our first river cruise at first I was disappointed about the river being at its lowest in years and thought of canceling but it is what it is I feel fortunate that I am able to go on a river cruise and will go with the flow the river that is. I always look at the donut and not the hole and expect to have a wonderful time no matter what the adventure will be

We have a 14 day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise leaving in about a week. Any guesses if its going to turn into a bus tour?

We will be traveling Amsterdam to Budapest in 3 weeks Keeoing an eye on weather Won’t do a bus tour. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

:'):'):') Seems like they are weeks behind us...

BTW, unfortuantely Pfelling river level is dropping fast and now closer to the "very low stage" than to the "normal" :(. So, Marjan1, I fear you will luck out regarding that low area near Straubing.

steamboats

Not worried. We didn’t expect our ship to get to Budapest and it did. At worst we will be up for a ship swap.

The two critical points between Passau and Regensburg, the Danube level is falling rapidly, their status is changing from Low to Very Low. Difficult to say if passable.

Rain is forecaste for tomorrow, so we'll see if it makes a difference.

We are on GATE1 Baroness leaving Budapest 23rd of September to Amsterdam thank you everyone for posting. At least I know what to expect this is our first river cruise at first I was disappointed about the river being at its lowest in years and thought of canceling but it is what it is I feel fortunate that I am able to go on a river cruise and will go with the flow the river that is. I always look at the donut and not the hole and expect to have a wonderful time no matter what the adventure will be

I love your attitude! We will be first time river cruisers (also Gate 1) NEXT summer, so I'm reading everything I can find. It's good to know that the river cruise companies stay on top of things and make accommodations when river levels are too low. We, too, will be willing to "go with the flow"! Have an awesome trip...and post a review afterwards for those of us who are researching the experience!

In Prague now. We sail tomorrow on Tauck’s Savor, heading to Vienna. Been told the ship can’t get upriver past Passau so we’d have a very long bus trip to either Regensburg or Munich. An alternate excursion is being planned for those who don’t enjoy a bus.

In Prague now. We sail tomorrow on Tauck’s Savor, heading to Vienna. Been told the ship can’t get upriver past Passau so we’d have a very long bus trip to either Regensburg or Munich. An alternate excursion is being planned for those who don’t enjoy a bus.

Passau to Regensburg is only 125km (about 80 miles) - takes about 90 minutes. Munich is about 30 minutes further along.

Wow, is it a train [emoji577]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They told us we’re meeting the ship tomorrow in Engelhartszell. A tiny place apparently, down river even from Passau. Those who don’t want to bus will just walk around there. Don’t know if it’s true, but they told us it would be five-hours round trip on the bus to Regensburg. Maybe I’m wrong and they said 4 hours in total - but that still seems quite a long time the day after a bus ride from Prague to the river. At least we’re sailing!!

Edited by susananded
checked google maps

New to this board and river cruising. First time cruise on Sept 30 with Viking Prestige Passau to Budapest. Called Viking yesterday to see if they had status report on water levels. They say its improving but still very nervous. Wont go if, its a bus trip. Have option to cancel and go next May/June. Any thoughts on next couple of weeks and whether ships will get through to Budapest

They told us we’re meeting the ship tomorrow in Engelhartszell. A tiny place apparently, down river even from Passau. Those who don’t want to bus will just walk around there. Don’t know if it’s true, but they told us it would be five-hours round trip on the bus to Regensburg. Maybe I’m wrong and they said 4 hours in total - but that still seems quite a long time the day after a bus ride from Prague to the river. At least we’re sailing!!

Engelhartszell is a nice village, if you stay there be sure to visit the Trappist Abbey, beautiful church and they make great schnapps and wonderful beer.

It is an hour drive to Passau along the Danube, then 1.5 hours to Regensburg on the autobahn, so 65 hours round trip.

New to this board and river cruising. First time cruise on Sept 30 with Viking Prestige Passau to Budapest. Called Viking yesterday to see if they had status report on water levels. They say its improving but still very nervous. Wont go if, its a bus trip. Have option to cancel and go next May/June. Any thoughts on next couple of weeks and whether ships will get through to Budapest

No one can predict how the river levels will be so far in advance.

The good news is the Passau to Vienna has not been affected at all during the low levels this summer, boats have always got through. The problem was between Bratislava and Budapest, lots of reports of bus journeys, but this area ha improved over the last 10 days with boats getting through.

Today we are sailing to Passau, as far as ships can go, afternoon tour. Tonight we sail back to Aschach as Passau docks very crowded with ships that can’t go any further towards Nuremburg.

To avoid a long bus trip to visit Regensburg as scheduled tomorrow, (5-6 hours in bus for a 2 hour visit), we will instead visit Linz for a tour in the morning then shuttles in the afternoon for free time.

Monday we swap ships with identical sister ship in Nuremberg. As we will be away from the ship for most of the day, we will each be given €25 for lunch and other incidentals.

Today we are sailing to Passau, as far as ships can go, afternoon tour. Tonight we sail back to Aschach as Passau docks very crowded with ships that can’t go any further towards Nuremburg.

To avoid a long bus trip to visit Regensburg as scheduled tomorrow, (5-6 hours in bus for a 2 hour visit), we will instead visit Linz for a tour in the morning then shuttles in the afternoon for free time.

Monday we swap ships with identical sister ship in Nuremberg. As we will be away from the ship for most of the day, we will each be given €25 for lunch and other incidentals.

Enjoy you time in Passau.

The sad news is that the Danube levels at Straubing and Pfelling are still falling and no rain forecast for at least 4 days.