Rome to Venice for Post Cruise Stay

vtxriders

Considering traveling to Venice for a few days post cruise and looking for recommendations regarding transfer. I have seen options for car, flight and train. Money isn't as big an issue and best utilization of time.

As this is a bucket list trip, I do want to stay on a canal.

Personally I prefer the trains for travel within Italy. The fast trains are quite nice and they take you from city center to city center, for the most part.

In Venice, the station isn't really the city center, but it's a lot closer to it than the airport.

The trip takes about 3 hours and if you purchase your tickets in advance the cost is pretty low.

Be sure to use the official site for purchasing (trenitalia.com) not a middle-man which adds to the cost.

Personally I prefer the trains for travel within Italy. The fast trains are quite nice and they take you from city center to city center, for the most part.

In Venice, the station isn't really the city center, but it's a lot closer to it than the airport.

The trip takes about 3 hours and if you purchase your tickets in advance the cost is pretty low.

Be sure to use the official site for purchasing (trenitalia.com) not a middle-man which adds to the cost.

Couldn't agree more. There are a few threads around...the concensus is definitely to take the train. It is pretty close to city center to city center. Without all the airport hassles.

As to staying in Venice, virtually everything is on a Canal. I would recommend the Hilton Milano Stucky. There are many threads on hotels here, both in Rome and in Venice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering a post-cruise trip to Venice in the future, and had the same question as the OP. I started to research and hoped to contact cruisemom42 to ask this same question. Imagine my surprise when the I found this thread first, and cruisemom's reply first!

Cruisemom42 - you provided invaluable tips to me on a previous trip to Rome (THANK YOU AGAIN), so was hoping you would have something to say about Venice! clear.png?emoji-grin-1677 I really wish CC had a way to utilize private messages.

Just curious - how is it maneuvering to and through train stations with luggage post cruise? Any travel hints or logistics in this regard would be greatly appreciated.....

Just curious - how is it maneuvering to and through train stations with luggage post cruise? Any travel hints or logistics in this regard would be greatly appreciated.....

Venice's situation is unique and doesn't make it easy for travelers with a lot of luggage. The train station itself is easy -- relatively flat, fine for roller bags. But getting to and from the station can be problematic. What are your logistics? (Coming from where? Staying where in Venice? etc.)

Train cars have a few, narrow steps up to reach the carriage. With luggage it generally works best to have one person board first, stand at the top and then let the other person hand up the bags. (There are no porters.)

Venice's situation is unique and doesn't make it easy for travelers with a lot of luggage. The train station itself is easy -- relatively flat, fine for roller bags. But getting to and from the station can be problematic. What are your logistics? (Coming from where? Staying where in Venice? etc.)

Train cars have a few, narrow steps up to reach the carriage. With luggage it generally works best to have one person board first, stand at the top and then let the other person hand up the bags. (There are no porters.)

Hi! Very very early in the planning - I was thinking (i) cruise from Rome (ii) post-cruise visit of somewhere in Italy I haven't been to, keeping in mind coordination of international travel back to North America. So lots of puzzle pieces. Venice has been a place I've wanted to see, but it might make more sense to do a cruise that starts or ends in Venice rather than trying to add it on after Civitavecchia... I just might start another thread on "where to visit post-cruise enroute back to North America" ;) I'd be using Aeroplan miles, which makes a multi-city trip very appealing....happy to hear your thoughts...

Venice's restrictions on cruise ships -- much talked about for years -- do seem to finally be inching forward.

If you have not sailed into or out of Venice, I would highly recommend looking for a cruise that starts or ends there -- it is a unique experience that may only be available for a limited time. It also would make it a bit easier to stay in Venice after.

But travel by the fast trains in Italy is really pretty painless, if that works better in your overall plan. As long as you keep your luggage to one larger bag and one bag you can either piggyback to the larger one or carry (e.g., as a backpack or shoulder bag), you should manage both Venice and trains fine.

Venice's restrictions on cruise ships -- much talked about for years -- do seem to finally be inching forward.

If you have not sailed into or out of Venice, I would highly recommend looking for a cruise that starts or ends there -- it is a unique experience that may only be available for a limited time. It also would make it a bit easier to stay in Venice after.

But travel by the fast trains in Italy is really pretty painless, if that works better in your overall plan. As long as you keep your luggage to one larger bag and one bag you can either piggyback to the larger one or carry (e.g., as a backpack or shoulder bag), you should manage both Venice and trains fine.

Ok - this is great information to start. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

When purchasing a ticket from Rome to Venice using the official site, is seating guaranteed/assigned? I have never taken a train in Europe, but someone just mentioned they stood for almost 3hrs on a train in England, so I thought I should ask...

I just checked out the trenatalia site and I am quite confused/overwhelmed by all the booking options (I'm also using the English site as I do not know Italian). Could you provide some general booking guidance (which stations, class, etc. :o )

When purchasing a ticket from Rome to Venice using the official site, is seating guaranteed/assigned? I have never taken a train in Europe, but someone just mentioned they stood for almost 3hrs on a train in England, so I thought I should ask...

I just checked out the trenatalia site and I am quite confused/overwhelmed by all the booking options (I'm also using the English site as I do not know Italian). Could you provide some general booking guidance (which stations, class, etc. :o )

For the longer-haul trips like this, I'd recommend booking the high-speed trains. On the Trenitalia site these are the ones that start with "Frecc-" (such as Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, etc.). Collectively they are called Frecce. (It means "arrow" in Italian.)

There is assigned seating on these trains. When you purchase a ticket you are automatically assigned a seat. If you want to choose your seat, you can, but otherwise one is randomly assigned to you. You will not end up standing.

If you want to travel from the center of Rome to the station closest to Venice proper, you would select for your starting point "Roma Termini" and as your ending point "Venezia Santa Lucia".

Regarding the class, there is not anything like as much difference between first and second class on these trains as there is on an airplane. In first class you will get a slightly bigger seat and perhaps a bit more storage space -- but that's about it. On the other hand, if you book your tickets well in advance you might find some good prices and if the first class seats are not significantly more expensive, then you might as well book them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

If taking the train, watch out for a certain scam. When boarding you'll be approached by "friendly" locals who offer to help with your bags. DO NOT ACCEPT. They will either take off with your bags or firmly request compensation for their help.

Although our last experience was 2 years ago I suspect this is still happening. The boarding of the train can be crowded and you'll want to accept their help but it isn't worth it (IMHO).

That said, the train from Rome to Venice was an enjoyable trip.

I've booked a 2019 cruise departing from Civitavecchia. I'd like to spend two nights in Venice and then travel to Rome to stay two nights before boarding the ship. I'm unfamiliar with the logistics of getting from Venice to Rome. From reading the threads, I gather the most economical way is by train. Is it best to purchase train tickets while in the U.S. or while in Venice? How far is Rome from Civitacchia and what's the best mode of transportation to get to the ship? TIA

The most economical way is to buy them from the trenitalia.com website 90-120 days before actual travel date. Most fo these fares come out 4 months prior, so be looking at 120 days. Fares will increase as time to departure gets closer.

Don't use vendors like RailEurope. Yes, you can buy earlier there. But the price is better on trenitalia.

A little reading around the board would reveal it is about 75-90 minutes by road, anywhere from about 50 minutes to 75 minutes by train, Rome to Civi. Again, if budget is important, train is the way to go. Then read the many discussions here about getting from the Civi train station to the gates of the port, (walking or bus), or possibly to your ship (taxi).

Note the advantage to taking a taxi or private car service from Rome Termini (rather than cheaper train) would be the car service will definitely take you direct to your ship. Taxi might...depends on their security clearance.