What ports are right in the city?

MaC410

We are going on a cruise in May and were wondering what ports would be the easiest to navigate ourselves. My thought is that there has to be some ports that are directly in the city itself so we can walk out and do some exploring ourselves without having to use buses or shuttles to get to the city. Has anyone done this with either Ravenna or Venice? I dont want to have to rely on transportation for every port we visit!

The port of Venice is pretty much in the city. If you dock at the main cruise terminal there’s a ‘people mover’ that costs €1.50 a ticket (one way). From that you can walk all over Venice.

You may also be docked at the San Basilio if you are on a smaller ship (such as Azamara) from where you can walk into the town. You can also use a ‘Vaporretto’ or public water bus to get around Venice. You can buy individual journey tickets or buy a ticket that will last all day. This website shows you the routes and fares http://actv.avmspa.it/en/content/water-bus-service-timetable-0

I think the port of Ravenna is in an industrial area, so you will need to use a bus, shuttle or taxi to get not Town.

Which other ports are you going to?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also will be going to Rome, Venice and Florence as well as Kotor and Nice. If you have any insights on those ports as well it would be greatly appreciated!

Only Kotor is in town.

Nice usually means you tender in Villefranche, but there are a very few small ships that dock in Nice.

Rome is one hour inland from the Civitavecchia port.

Florence is two hours plus inland from Livorno or La Spezia.

A look at Google maps would be very useful to help you plan.