Internet on the Grand Princess

Cruise Raider

11 minutes ago, xCity said:

It is.  Attaching screenshot.

Capture.PNG

BTW .... is this for the 10 night sailing on the Grand on 12/18?  It looks like 7 night pricing.  Maybe they are giving it away ... that is a lot cheaper than 50%  off for a 10 night sailing.  

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

BTW .... is this for the 10 night sailing on the Grand on 12/18?  It looks like 7 night pricing.  Maybe they are giving it away ... that is a lot cheaper than 50%  off for a 10 night sailing.  

Yes, 10 nights.  It was a bit confusing at first because that's 7 nights pricing at $9.99/night.  Not that I'm going to call them and complain about it.  😉

4 minutes ago, xCity said:

Yes, 10 nights.  It was a bit confusing at first because that's 7 nights pricing at $9.99/night.  Not that I'm going to call them and complain about it.  😉

No ... don't you call them!  hahaha!!  

You got great pricing and would leave it at that!!  🙂 

13 hours ago, xCity said:

Pre-cruise list price for 8 to 10 day cruises is the same, but the onboard pricing is different. Onboard for 8,9,10 days is $75, $80, $85. Elite/Platinum first day onboard pricing fo 8,9,10 days is $56.25, $60, $63.75.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I may just have to place a call to Princess but thought I would ask here first. I am going into my cruise personalizer for an upcoming cruise (still 2 months away) and don't have any option to purchase unlimited internet. What is odd is that I do have that availability to purchase this for a cruise on this ship later this year.

For this upcoming cruise, we are in a suite and this is the first time ever in this cabin type but don't see any documentation on the Princess website stating that unlimited internet is included. Just not sure why it is not showing up for me as a purchase option. ????

On 2/27/2018 at 10:51 PM, caribill said:

It was probably slower than usual (for Princess) since those who had purchased the unlimited option were busy using up the available bandwidth.

I am in a suite at the moment on Grand and I have unlimited Internet which I bought on sale.  I am allowed one device at a time and it has worked well for me on this 15 day cruise from SF to Hawaii and back.  A good buy if you are into Internet on a daily basis.  Three in my suite C424 and we use the Internet  by turns, but one at a time.  Not many delays and it never failed me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 2old4this said:

I am in a suite at the moment on Grand and I have unlimited Internet which I bought on sale.  I am allowed one device at a time and it has worked well for me on this 15 day cruise from SF to Hawaii and back.  A good buy if you are into Internet on a daily basis.  Three in my suite C424 and we use the Internet  by turns, but one at a time.  Not many delays and it never failed me.

The Medallion Net is supposed to go live today on the Grand.  Is that the unlimited package that you purchased?  I am told that it would be available for me to purchase online as of today ... still not on my personalizer but I might not be exercising any patience.  It's still early in the day and my cruise isn't until next month.  

I am curious, though ... did you have the option of buying three different speeds for your internet ...or just the one?  I am wanting to stream shows on it ... I had no luck even connecting to my email back in October on the Grand, much less stream a tv show.  

PS -- hope you are having a great cruise.  If you happen to see Janel in the club class dining, be sure to say hi for us.  We were the three ladies with the one guy ... he may remember?  He cooked us a special pasta at night ... was it ever great!!  

MedallionNet finally showed up as available for my Jan 22 5 night cruise on Grand out of SF.  $8.99 a day for $44.95 total.  No speed options, just the one choice.  Seems pretty cheap.

It wasn't there yesterday, so I assume this means they think they're going to make the install date.  Ocean Medallion itself is still scheduled later (Mar 29, 2020).

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, 2old4this said:

Open

3 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

MedallionNet finally showed up as available for my Jan 22 5 night cruise on Grand out of SF.  $8.99 a day for $44.95 total.  No speed options, just the one choice.  Seems pretty cheap.

It wasn't there yesterday, so I assume this means they think they're going to make the install date.  Ocean Medallion itself is still scheduled later (Mar 29, 2020).

3 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

V

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Medallion Net is supposed to go live today on the Grand.  Is that the unlimited package that you purchased?  I am told that it would be available for me to purchase online as of today ... still not on my personalizer but I might not be exercising any patience.  It's still early in the day and my cruise isn't until next month.  

I am curious, though ... did you have the option of buying three different speeds for your internet ...or just the one?  I am wanting to stream shows on it ... I had no luck even connecting to my email back in October on the Grand, much less stream a tv show.  

PS -- hope you are having a great cruise.  If you happen to see Janel in the club class dining, be sure to say hi for us.  We were the three ladies with the one guy ... he may remember?  He cooked us a special pasta at night ... was it ever great!!  

• Bbi
    11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am home now, here since 10 am.  See my Facebook page at Jack P Morris for my 15 day reporting of my trip on Grand.  It may answer many of your questions.  To sum up that vacation, I say it fulfilled my every need . . . and much more.

13 hours ago, 2old4this said:

Open

V

• Bbi

I am home now, here since 10 am.  See my Facebook page at Jack P Morris for my 15 day reporting of my trip on Grand.  It may answer many of your questions.  To sum up that vacation, I say it fulfilled my every need . . . and much more.

I was unable to find your post on FB ... but, I also just checked on my personalizer and I can finally see the internet option available for purchase.  Yes, it is $8.99 a day ... may be a bit cheaper when I board with an elite discount but probably just a buck or two.  So, I might purchase it just to get it out of the way ... I don't have much OBC on this next sailing.  

Thanks for the update.  Would it be possible to copy and repost your facebook review on this page?  I'm looking forward to your thoughts.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I was unable to find your post on FB ... but, I also just checked on my personalizer and I can finally see the internet option available for purchase.  Yes, it is $8.99 a day ... may be a bit cheaper when I board with an elite discount but probably just a buck or two.  So, I might purchase it just to get it out of the way ... I don't have much OBC on this next sailing.  

Thanks for the update.  Would it be possible to copy and repost your facebook review on this page?  I'm looking forward to your thoughts.  

Sorry you were unable to find my daily reporting.  If you indeed reached the right Jack P Morris, all you had to do was scroll down my column until you reached my last day entry which deals with Ensenada.  Scrolling further, you would reach each day.  Finally, you would locate my boarding at SF.  I just scrolled and it is indeed still where I posted.

25 minutes ago, 2old4this said:

Sorry you were unable to find my daily reporting.  If you indeed reached the right Jack P Morris, all you had to do was scroll down my column until you reached my last day entry which deals with Ensenada.  Scrolling further, you would reach each day.  Finally, you would locate my boarding at SF.  I just scrolled and it is indeed still where I posted.

Found it ... thanks!

On 11/26/2019 at 2:52 AM, caribill said:

Pre-cruise list price for 8 to 10 day cruises is the same, but the onboard pricing is different. Onboard for 8,9,10 days is $75, $80, $85. Elite/Platinum first day onboard pricing fo 8,9,10 days is $56.25, $60, $63.75.

Do we have to wait until we're on board to purchase that? Seems odd to me....we are platinum, and I want to get the unlimited WiFi like I did on the last cruise. I never thought about getting it pre-cruise, but once on board I saw info as you describe above, so got it then.

I just signed onto my Princess account, and they offer me 10 days (Grand Princess Jan 2020):

"MedallionNet Voyage Package – Save over 50% pre-cruise! $69.99. Purchase an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $9.99/day and save over 50%!".

On our 10 day cruise last month on the Crown Princess, I paid $60 for the 10 day voyage; I did that the first evening on board. Seems odd that it would be less expensive to wait until we board. ....but about $10 is $10, and I am of Scottish descent. <g>

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, xCity said:

Quick update. I’m on the Grand right now. Speeds seem quick enough.  Web pages are loading quick. Social media uploads are also quick. 

Thanks for posting. WiFi/internet speed was very fast on the Crown last month also. Seems like when it's working, it's very fast. But it might have a slow to non-functioning hours like we did for about 3 hours one day out of ten.

2 hours ago, xCity said:

Quick update. I’m on the Grand right now. Speeds seem quick enough.  Web pages are loading quick. Social media uploads are also quick. 

Great!!  Can you tell me if it was less to buy it once onboard?  It is only $8.99 per day to buy it online.  I will probably just do it unless they are offering specials for Platinum/Elite once onboard.  

thanks 

Great!!  Can you tell me if it was less to buy it once onboard?  It is only $8.99 per day to buy it online.  I will probably just do it unless they are offering specials for Platinum/Elite once onboard.  

thanks 

I asked a platinum member, and it’s $59.99 for platinum members onboard. 😀

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xCity said:

Confirmed. I did on my Nov 2019 10 day cruise on the Crown. We're Platinum, but I do not remember if the offer in the Princess Patter mentioned anyone's Loyalty Status. That MIGHT have been open to anyone.....I can't imagine why they'd had that offer in the Patter, which everyone reads, unless any status could purchase it at that price.

Anyone confirm who was not Elite/Platinum?

16 hours ago, xCity said:

Mine is for a 5 night cruise so it would be better to purchase it ahead of time ... it looks like that pricing is for a 7 or 10 night sailing.  

Since it will only  amount to like a $5 savings if I wait until I am onboard, I think I will just get it now and get it out of the way.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

On 12/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, 2old4this said:

Open

V

• Bbi

I just read of all your days on the Grand Princess SFO to Hawaii and back with great interest as we are making this trip in March.  Your writing is divine and makes me anticipate my trip even more.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, mbglib said:

I just read of all your days on the Grand Princess SFO to Hawaii and back with great interest as we are making this trip in March.  Your writing is divine and makes me anticipate my trip even more.  Thank you.

Happy that you are happy, MBGLIB.  See the reporting I did while on Grand all packaged up below.  Share with others if you wish.  Jack

1a_HAWAII WITH KIDS.pdf

On 12/20/2019 at 4:27 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Confirmed. I did on my Nov 2019 10 day cruise on the Crown. We're Platinum, but I do not remember if the offer in the Princess Patter mentioned anyone's Loyalty Status. That MIGHT have been open to anyone.....I can't imagine why they'd had that offer in the Patter, which everyone reads, unless any status could purchase it at that price.

Anyone confirm who was not Elite/Platinum?

Our first day Patter just mentioned $9.99/day (50% discount).

32 minutes ago, xCity said:

Thought I’d share this speed test I ran onboard the ship, on a sea day. 

91A97C72-CF6D-4F7F-8EBA-3362EC6096C3.thumb.jpeg.8aed158158d3019af2527fc332caa529.jpeg

Given we viewers are interested in Internet services while aboard, what does this mean regarding the service we can expect with Grand?  Is it truly high speed, acceptable speed, or something else?  Keep it simple.  Most of us reading this may not be up to technical data.

48 minutes ago, 2old4this said:

Given we viewers are interested in Internet services while aboard, what does this mean regarding the service we can expect with Grand?  Is it truly high speed, acceptable speed, or something else?  Keep it simple.  Most of us reading this may not be up to technical data.

Considering your questions are subjective, perhaps I can help if you tell me how you use the internet?  I can then give you a simple answer.