Whats all the fuss about the AARP gift cards? Are there any benefits?

LongHill44

You pay $90 for them and then you get a card worth $100. This is how I paid for my entire cruise (actually I used Verizon's.) I will take a 10% off any time.

You get them from AARP's website and you do not have to be a member.

You pay $90 for them and then you get a card worth $100. This is how I paid for my entire cruise (actually I used Verizon's.) I will take a 10% off any time.

You get them from AARP's website and you do not have to be a member.

And this can be used at the bar?

Or if you are a Cheers "user" you can save 10% on the cost of Cheers. Assuming 2 people on a 7 day cruised, saves about $85 off the cost of Cheers for 2...

And then if you buy it online before your cruise, you get an additional discount.

Yep, they're basically like discounted cash. We buy them to pay off our cruise balance, our onboard spending, gratuities, etc. We usually buy $5,000 per cruise for $4,500. That's a $500 savings per cruise just by using gift cards. I just recently bought $10,000 worth of gift cards for $9,000 which saves me $1,000. That's a lot of savings for a little bit of time. That pays for my airfare and AirBnB for the days prior to the cruise.

Also have read if you did play with a credit card, you can call Carnival and they will take the Gift Cards and refund your credit card thus giving you the 10% gift card savings. I have not done this but read others have so verify if you plan on doing it.

You can do the e-cards. I got them instantly yesterday. Cancelled my cruise and rebooked it in the same room a minute or two later using the cards for the $1000 deposit. You will have to answer their quizzes to earn points and AARP members earn 50% more points than non-members I think it is? I plan to pay for the whole cruise and Cheers package this way if they are still available. Will save me $500 for our family of four on Vista if it works out. Plus I get to answer fun quizzes that tell me how to improve my love life. lol.

I signed up for AARP at 40 several years ago when I saw there was a discount on NCL at the time. That saved me hundreds on several different cruises each. And I've saved a lot at hotels that way. I think its like $16 a year? I forget. Anyway, I thought you had to be 50 but nope. When I called, they told me they like to take "young" people's money and recruit you for the full membership when you are older.

About how long has it taken to get the cards? My folks are members, so this might work for us.

The eCards come in about 5 minutes. The physical cards come in a few days.

You DO NOT have to be an AARP member. Anyone can do this. You can sign up for multiple accounts and when you do the quizzes/surveys you don't have to be right/wrong on the answers, just click through them to get the points.

Not really that hard to do. I've bought $4,000 in gift cards, used half on cruise earlier this month and the remainder on next cruise in April.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Between the 2 sites I think $15,000 is the most I've ever purchased in a week from them. I like stocking up on them to pay off cruises, on-board spending, gratuities, etc.

Is there anyway I can use AARP cards to pay off my cruise -- I booked thru a travel agent and have to pay the agent for the remainder of my cruise. I'm thinking it only works to pay on your actual cruise when you book directly thru Carnival, right? I did buy $1100 worth and paid for our cheers, internet and $75 credit on the ship. Went with travel agent cause they gave me free gratuities!

Is there anyway I can use AARP cards to pay off my cruise -- I booked thru a travel agent and have to pay the agent for the remainder of my cruise. I'm thinking it only works to pay on your actual cruise when you book directly thru Carnival, right? I did buy $1100 worth and paid for our cheers, internet and $75 credit on the ship. Went with travel agent cause they gave me free gratuities!

Your TA should be able to process those Carnival gift cards for you. There are a few exceptions to that, but they are really the only ones who can answer that for you.