Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

Jumping on a subscribing to this one. We'll actually be at sea the same time as you are, but on the Carnival Glory. We do have this cruise booked for 2019 though so are looking forward to your review! We can count down together!

I will wave at you if we see the Glory.

SCREAM!!! just found this thread at random and when i saw the word "cheapskate" i thought, oh, is someone cruising with ME??? love the hilarious wordplay and can't wait to see how it all turns out, since we are kindred spirits. except i cruise solo, no UBP, and definitely no wifi package--a gurl needs her vacay!! party on!

~diane

I spend hours searching the boards to make sure we are getting the best experience for our dollar and I hope to write a review that will appeal to others out there in my situation. It will be long and very detailed.

Oh my we are huge. I'll have to work on that. Sorry

I think it is a good size. :D But then, my glasses are 3 years old because we are too cheap to “upgrade”.

While we are comparing grades of cheapskate... My husband still has a flip phone, and we have no texting.

Seriously though, I think the picture is a good size and you look like you have fun as a couple. Can’t wait for pictures of Epic.

Oh, wait! I will be on the ship before you... Bummer!

We love Bubba. Lived next door to them before we both built houses in different neighborhoods. Their son is in college now. Next time we see them, we can tell them the cruising world is calling them.

How cool! Bubba is one of our favorite people in the world. We met him for the first time in 1998/1999, and saw the show at least 10 more times over the years. We loved his comedy acts, but especially enjoyed watching him sing the more serious songs too... you can tell he is a great guy!

If you see him, let him know we want him on a cruise, along with the whole cast :)

SCREAM!!! just found this thread at random and when i saw the word "cheapskate" i thought, oh, is someone cruising with ME??? love the hilarious wordplay and can't wait to see how it all turns out, since we are kindred spirits. except i cruise solo, no UBP, and definitely no wifi package--a gurl needs her vacay!! party on!

~diane

Welcome soul sister to my my journey. I hope you enjoy the ride. This is the first time we have gotten the UBP, and I'm predicting the last. I'm afraid I'm going to be pressured (haha) into meeting my daily quota and we are really only cruise drinkers anyway.

Today we are 29 days, 8 hours, and 44 minutes away from vacay time.

I want to start today’s post by saying that I am well aware that my DH’s cheapness is directly related to our ability to cruise whenever we want to. (And I love him for it) If my “oh I want that” personality was in charge we probably couldn’t afford a canoe for floating down the Little River.

Now I feel better that everyone doesn’t think I am actually complaining. Just stating facts.

Since we do work in the cheapskate mentality, we also like to know if we made a good decision in our purchase. So I have been tracking the price of the trip we booked. We purchased at roughly 45 days out and the base price for the room and UDP was 739, it has steadily inched up to $859 for a slightly lower category room. We got ID and they only have IF left- I don’t know the difference in the 2. So I am feeling good about our timing.

Today I am going to the tanning bed to get started on that base tan. I know that you are thinking that paying for a tan is not really a cheapskate thing to do. Well I need to remind you that DH is cheap not me and I will be paying cash so there is no paper trail. I will go a couple of times week so that we can stay out all day and not worry about getting burned. I will mention here that we are vitamin D junkies and love to be outside. So I am looking forward to many hours at SpiceH2O soaking it up. Apparently it is an adults only area (I’m a school teacher so not child unfriendly- however I want to make them behave and people are often offended when I go into teacher mode, I know they are on vacation too, but that is not an excuse for not follow the rules- which applies to adults to- which I am less likely to correct- but have been known to do so). I predict that this will be our favorite spot- food and drinks are close by, and there is pool for cooling off. So I will start with an Ultimate Pina Colada followed closely by a Mudslide, a Bushwhacker and then a Classic Hand Shaken Daiquiri with some spicy popcorn chicken on the side. I think I said in an earlier post that we aren’t heavy drinkers- well we did pay all that $ for the the UBP and DH has worked out the quota, so I think this is a good plan. I need to check the dates on the sunscreen and stock up on some ibuprofen.

LOL, I'm turning into that cranky old senior (not 40 yet though). The older I get, the less I care what other people think. I personally think lecturing other out of control kids is fine. As is lecturing their awful parents if needed. I don't think you should put hands on them, but think even that's ok if the kid is actively attacking someone. Restraining the attacking kid, although if I saw you smack that attacking kid upside the head, my eyes may have been distracted at that moment if anyone asks.

I want to start today’s post by saying that I am well aware that my DH’s cheapness is directly related to our ability to cruise whenever we want to. (And I love him for it) If my “oh I want that” personality was in charge we probably couldn’t afford a canoe for floating down the Little River.

Now I feel better that everyone doesn’t think I am actually complaining. Just stating facts.

Since we do work in the cheapskate mentality, we also like to know if we made a good decision in our purchase. So I have been tracking the price of the trip we booked. We purchased at roughly 45 days out and the base price for the room and UDP was 739, it has steadily inched up to $859 for a slightly lower category room. We got ID and they only have IF left- I don’t know the difference in the 2. So I am feeling good about our timing.

Today I am going to the tanning bed to get started on that base tan. I know that you are thinking that paying for a tan is not really a cheapskate thing to do. Well I need to remind you that DH is cheap not me and I will be paying cash so there is no paper trail. I will go a couple of times week so that we can stay out all day and not worry about getting burned. I will mention here that we are vitamin D junkies and love to be outside. So I am looking forward to many hours at SpiceH2O soaking it up. Apparently it is an adults only area (I’m a school teacher so not child unfriendly- however I want to make them behave and people are often offended when I go into teacher mode, I know they are on vacation too, but that is not an excuse for not follow the rules- which applies to adults to- which I am less likely to correct- but have been known to do so). I predict that this will be our favorite spot- food and drinks are close by, and there is pool for cooling off. So I will start with an Ultimate Pina Colada followed closely by a Mudslide, a Bushwhacker and then a Classic Hand Shaken Daiquiri with some spicy popcorn chicken on the side. I think I said in an earlier post that we aren’t heavy drinkers- well we did pay all that $ for the the UBP and DH has worked out the quota, so I think this is a good plan. I need to check the dates on the sunscreen and stock up on some ibuprofen.

Subscribing to follow - I proudly wear the cheapskate label, and DH wears both the "why waste" and "we on vacay, so why not" one. Makes life interesting but well suited for the most part.

When I booked our upcoming Jade and next year's Bliss, I chose the UBP as our perk, I get sea sick, and DH likes the balcony, so we book the cabin we want, allows those perks. I used to do the just put me in cabin bookings when I went with my mom, not since I got married though

Because we too are not heavy drinkers, and more importantly like being responsible drinkers..so no way will we every pay full price on NCL for the UBP when we can select it as a perk, and paying the gratuities only...something like $14 per day each for the Jade and $18 each per day for the Bliss...after that it is on them...so 2 drinks each and we are golden. I make the ultimate sacrifice and will drink DH if I need too...just saying....

Break it down by day...DRINKS only...makes it seem like the better deal

Today I am going to the tanning bed to get started on that base tan. I know that you are thinking that paying for a tan is not really a cheapskate thing to do. Well I need to remind you that DH is cheap not me and I will be paying cash so there is no paper trail. I will go a couple of times week so that we can stay out all day and not worry about getting burned.

I'm curious....what is you plan when you are dark and spicy in H2O and Mr. DrewsMom is pasty white like Casper. Won't he notice something is a little bit different when he pulls his shirt off and is lathering up his brute chest and sexy legs with a heavy duty SPF and you are using baby oil???

I'm curious....what is you plan when you are dark and spicy in H2O and Mr. DrewsMom is pasty white like Casper. Won't he notice something is a little bit different when he pulls his shirt off and is lathering up his brute chest and sexy legs with a heavy duty SPF and you are using baby oil???

That is a very good question. Mr. Drewsmom will likely discover that I have become dark and spicy beforehand so I will have to fess up. I did find a great deal. He flips houses for a living (and does his own had work) so as soon as it warms up a little his sexy legs will brown up the natural way. I love the baby oil reference, I used it many times.

This was supposed to go with today's post. It was the inspiration for my drink list.

282knec.jpg[/img]

2uiezx3.jpg

Are these are within the UBP limit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk