Viking final payment

kapok kid

I get 3% back on travel with my Citi Costco Visa card,

so 3.3% isn't worth the trade-offs [no float, and no credit card protections]

Absolutely. We use our Costco Visa and .3 is not worth it.

Thank you.

Since we do not have a Costco Card, still considering the direct Echeck to Viking.

We just booked a November 2019 trip.

Told our TA that early final payment was a deal breaker.

She advised us to make our deposit and Viking would adjust the final payment date.

We got final due 6 months prior to travel when the confirm arrived.

Wish Viking would adopt a firm policy rather than playing this nasty game of extracting the most money they can the soonest -

in order to pay for all the new ships coming.

Thanks for the info.

WE are very close to booking the Viking Jupiter for the Southern Crossing, November 2019.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2634399

Of course, we first want to understand (other) details such as insurance coverage.

We have found, it's easier to get info BEFORE making a deposit.:)

Yes, for our planned November, 2019 sail, final payment will be 6 months prior.

On a previous Viking River Cruise, Viking wanted Full Payment one year in advance if we wanted their advertised rate.

Now working on...

what insurance will actually cover (such as pre existing conditions)

and if we should cancel, what does the TA keep... at least $200.00 USD and

does Viking keep the rest of your deposit for a future sailing instead of giving cash back ?

Edited by $hip$hape

Yes, for our planned November, 2019 sail, final payment will be 6 months prior.

On a previous Viking River Cruise, Viking wanted Full Payment one year in advance if we wanted their advertised rate.

Now working on...

what insurance will actually cover (such as pre existing conditions)

and if we should cancel, what does the TA keep... at least $200.00 USD and

does Viking keep the rest of your deposit for a future sailing instead of giving cash back ?

See details.

Executive summary: insurance reimburses in vouchers any penalty you pay and Viking returns balance as cash or credit card credit.

Disclaimer: read the details.

We’re old, so cancel for any reason is very attractive.

http://www.tripmate.com/wpA425V

Sent from my iPad using Forums

See details.

Executive summary: insurance reimburses in vouchers any penalty you pay and Viking returns balance as cash or credit card credit.

Disclaimer: read the details.

We’re old, so cancel for any reason is very attractive.

http://www.tripmate.com/wpA425V

As far as I know, cancel for any reason insurance won't give you back 100% unless you are cancelling for a covered reason. It doesn't give you the right to just change your mind and get everything back.

I learned a very valuable lesson from these boards years ago. Many trip insurance providers allow you to simply insure your deposit and then give you until 14 days after your final payment to add the rest of the trip total. If you insure your deposit within 14 days of making it, you will (in most cases) qualify for the pre-existing waiver. We have now done this for years. We use InsureMyTrip for quotes. They are just agents for the insurance companies but they are all licensed and VERY knowledgeable. Their website is excellent and explains everything, but they are wonderful to talk with. BTW- I told our TA about this when we declined their insurance. He did some research and told me he can do the same thing through his insurance company. Another great benefit was that when I dealt with InsureMyTrip for a cruise in April of 2020, they told me that the rate for the entire trip cost would be the same rate as if I paid for the entire trip today and all I had to do was insure the deposit. That makes a difference as the rates are based on age and we will all be older in two years! [emoji16] Hope this helps some of you as it has helped us. We would have never known about this if we hadn’t read the CC Boards!

I learned a very valuable lesson from these boards years ago. Many trip insurance providers allow you to simply insure your deposit and then give you until 14 days after your final payment to add the rest of the trip total. If you insure your deposit within 14 days of making it, you will (in most cases) qualify for the pre-existing waiver. We have now done this for years. We use InsureMyTrip for quotes. They are just agents for the insurance companies but they are all licensed and VERY knowledgeable. Their website is excellent and explains everything, but they are wonderful to talk with. BTW- I told our TA about this when we declined their insurance. He did some research and told me he can do the same thing through his insurance company. Another great benefit was that when I dealt with InsureMyTrip for a cruise in April of 2020, they told me that the rate for the entire trip cost would be the same rate as if I paid for the entire trip today and all I had to do was insure the deposit. That makes a difference as the rates are based on age and we will all be older in two years! [emoji16] Hope this helps some of you as it has helped us. We would have never known about this if we hadn’t read the CC Boards!

Yes!

When we booked our 2019 Viking cruise this past April, our TA simply insured our $1K deposit. The balance will be insured when we pay the balance, which we were able to get extended until Aug 31 of this year. Makes a big difference!

Jeff

...cancelling for a covered reason

As far as I know, cancel for any reason insurance won't give you back 100%

unless you are cancelling for a covered reason.

It doesn't give you the right to just change your mind and get everything back.

I learned a very valuable lesson from these boards years ago.

Many trip insurance providers allow you to simply insure your deposit and then give you until 14 days after your final payment to add the rest of the trip total. If you insure your deposit within 14 days of making it, you will (in most cases) qualify for the pre-existing waiver. We have now done this for years. We use InsureMyTrip for quotes.

They are just agents for the insurance companies but they are all licensed and VERY knowledgeable.

Their website is excellent and explains everything, but they are wonderful to talk with. BTW- I told our TA about this when we declined their insurance. He did some research and told me he can do the same thing through his insurance company. Another great benefit was that when I dealt with InsureMyTrip for a cruise in April of 2020, they told me that the rate for the entire trip cost would be the same rate as if I paid for the entire trip today and all I had to do was insure the deposit. That makes a difference as the rates are based on age and we will all be older in two years! [emoji16] Hope this helps some of you as it has helped us. We would have never known about this if we hadn’t read the CC Boards!

I just read a disclosure from Viking, that Travel Agents are not allowed, or qualified,

to discuss "cancelling for a covered reason".

Before I lose my mind, I just want to know; if we change our minds, for any reason, what part of our deposit will we get back?

Edited by $hip$hape

Yes and it was easy.

We figured the discount was a bigger benefit than the rewards in our card.

Thank you for your response.

I'll ask my Travel Agent about this;

from Viking... E-check - Save an additional 3.3%—just pay via electronic check.

From TA:

"E-check is up to you.

I personally feel it’s a bit risky giving all your bank info.

Credit cards have an extra level of security.

Plus with the perks added from credit cards, you balance out many times,

but it’s up to you. "

If you ask, they will move final payment to 6 months out.

We are looking at a Viking Jupiter November 2019 cruise.

With a quote, we're told final payment is due May 2019 (close enough.)

If I did not mention it before, our past Viking adventures have been "wonderful".

The key is, having a TA that is willing to act as an advocate,

dealing with Viking's "customer service" .

Edited by $hip$hape