Ship Excursion or On My Own?

DADDYOFTHE7SEAZ

CCL excursion to Magen's Bay and The Sky ride is $54.99 per person. For 3 of us that's -- $164.97. I'm guessing I can do this on my own cheaper. I think the sky ride is $21, but not sure about taxi's or shuttle to Magen's Bay. I'm planning on the beach 1st and then The Sky ride. I'm there in June on The Magic from 11:30am-7pm. I hate the late Port time 11:30. I like docking around 8am so you can get early jumps on things to do. Will this late time affect anything I'm trying to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this on my own? or just stick with CCL. The excursion time for the ship says 3.5 hours, can I do it in that amount of time with plenty of time left to souvenir shop nothing major just shot glasses and t-shirts. Not new to cruising but 1st time to St. Thomas, so I will take any guidance on what should be a Fabulous Day. Thanks!!

CCL excursion to Magen's Bay and The Sky ride is $54.99 per person. For 3 of us that's -- $164.97. I'm guessing I can do this on my own cheaper. I think the sky ride is $21, but not sure about taxi's or shuttle to Magen's Bay. I'm planning on the beach 1st and then The Sky ride. I'm there in June on The Magic from 11:30am-7pm. I hate the late Port time 11:30. I like docking around 8am so you can get early jumps on things to do. Will this late time affect anything I'm trying to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this on my own? or just stick with CCL. The excursion time for the ship says 3.5 hours, can I do it in that amount of time with plenty of time left to souvenir shop nothing major just shot glasses and t-shirts. Not new to cruising but 1st time to St. Thomas, so I will take any guidance on what should be a Fabulous Day. Thanks!!

Do it on your own and spend under $100 for the 3 of you and go at your own pace.

You could also do one of those island tours between $30-$40 a person which give you shopping, island tour and 2 hours beach time.

We learned the hard way that it simply doesn't make sense to do a ships tour in St Thomas, unless you are perhaps heading to St John. Many beach excursions just throw you on a taxi, that you could have got yourself, and drive you to the beach and back. I suspect they are doing the same thing here, with the taxi heading to the Skyride at some point too.

I'm not sure where you're docking. From Crown Bay to Magens Bay it's $20 both ways for 2 people. I'm not sure how much to go from there to Paradise Point. I think you're docking at Charolette Amalie, so easy to get to Paradise Point. Meagen's Bay will be crowded in the afternoon.

Hey-- Thanks for your input and response. Based on my research and other posters responses looks like I'll be spending $80-100 on taxi rides plus tips for 3 people to go from port to Magen's Bay and then from Magen's to Paradise Point. Then $63 for all 3 of us to ride the skyride. CCL is $164 for the transportation, beach and sky ride. I'll probably will just roll with the ship excursion therefore no worries.

Thanks

Do it on your own and spend under $100 for the 3 of you and go at your own pace.

You could also do one of those island tours between $30-$40 a person which give you shopping, island tour and 2 hours beach time.

Hey-- Thanks for your input and response. Based on my research and other posters responses looks like I'll be spending $80-100 on taxi rides plus tips for 3 people to go from port to Magen's Bay and then from Magen's to Paradise Point. If I spend $30-40 for 3 people for some cheap island tour $90-120, then $63 for all 3 of us to ride the skyride. I'll probably just break even or could possibly spend more than the ship's excursion. CCL is $164 for the transportation, beach and sky ride. I'll probably will just roll with the ship excursion therefore no worries.

Thanks

We learned the hard way that it simply doesn't make sense to do a ships tour in St Thomas, unless you are perhaps heading to St John. Many beach excursions just throw you on a taxi, that you could have got yourself, and drive you to the beach and back. I suspect they are doing the same thing here, with the taxi heading to the Skyride at some point too.

Hey-- Thanks for your input and response. Based on my research and other posters responses looks like I'll be spending $80-100 on taxi rides plus tips for 3 people to go from port to Magen's Bay and then from Magen's to Paradise Point. Then $63 for all 3 of us to ride the skyride. CCL is $164 for the transportation, beach and sky ride. I'll probably will just roll with the ship excursion therefore no worries.

Thanks

Usually ship beach excursions include chairs and a beverage. Are these included in the ship's tour?

What day are you in port? Paradise Point is only $5 starting at 5 pm on certain days.

The chairs and beverage are not mentioned in the excursion description nor from any reviews I've read. I'm in Port on Tuesday June 5th from 11;30am-7pm. Don't think I'll have time to do the after 5 sky ride. By then I hope to be perched up at one of the ship bars ready to sail away to the next stop--San Juan PR. Going to El Morro and Fort San Cristobal and into Old San Juan looking for some Mofongo!!!!!

Thanks for your response:):)

Usually ship beach excursions include chairs and a beverage. Are these included in the ship's tour?

What day are you in port? Paradise Point is only $5 starting at 5 pm on certain days.

Just wondering where you found that it's only $5 some days. I can't see anything on their site about that.

If you're on Carnival you should be able to walk to the sky ride

Exactly, it's across the street and down a short ways from the Havensight port area. Just past Hooters. Look on Google maps for the Paradise Point base.

$52 (pre-tip) for the taxi (there and back) to Megan's Bay for three people.

$63 for tickets on the tram ride to Paradise point

$15 for entry fees to Megan's Bay

$130 (plus tips) paying as you go and at your own pace versus $165 being herded by Carnival.

$52 (pre-tip) for the taxi (there and back) to Megan's Bay for three people.

$63 for tickets on the tram ride to Paradise point

$15 for entry fees to Megan's Bay

$130 (plus tips) paying as you go and at your own pace versus $165 being herded by Carnival.

Hey, thanks for the break down. that makes it look pretty simple. Are you saying find a taxi to prepay $52 and that will be the same driver that takes us and pick us up? Also with late port times 11:30am-7pm, should I do the sky ride 1st since its close to port and then taxi to Magen's Bay?

Thanks for your help

Hey, thanks for the break down. that makes it look pretty simple. Are you saying find a taxi to prepay $52 and that will be the same driver that takes us and pick us up? Also with late port times 11:30am-7pm, should I do the sky ride 1st since its close to port and then taxi to Magen's Bay?

Thanks for your help

I've found that most cab drivers have business cards and/or callback numbers to set up a return trip. If not, Megan's Bay is one of those places that always has business and will always have a few cabs lined up to go. Personally, I would only pay for one way at a time since the driver may not be there for the return leg and you would be pretty much out of luck, out of cash, and out of time to hunt him down.

And yep, with an 11:30 arrival time, hitting the skyride up to Paradise Point would be great right off the boat. You could grab lunch there if you want and then ride back down and catch a cab to the beach. :D

Thanks for your help

$52 is what you'd expect to pay in total before tips for your round trip. You might want to talk to a driver to see if you can set up a pick up time at Meagan's but for this you usually talk to the drivers outside the pier are on the outskirts of Heavensight mall.

Last two times I've been to St Thomas I've rented a car and made my own time. I wasn't really interested in Meagan's (I was content with some pictures overlooking the beach from a lookout point) but I did Coki and Sapphire Beach, a few scenic stops, a stop at the grocery store, an hour in town and a stop to gas the car back up on a 8am-4:30pm schedule. I did a mock booking, mid June, mid week for a car rental and for about $60 total you can rent a car from one of the companies that have offices right there at Heavensight. With your time frame, I'd go to the beach first, get the car back and do the $5 after 5pm deal that was mentioned at the Skyride. The Skyride is a short walk from the car rental offices and you'd have about an hour to enjoy if your on board time is 6:30pm. Or come back to Skyride earlier and pay the regular price for a more relaxed time at the top.

Just remember: Cars in St Thomas are left hand drive but you also drive on the left side of the road. It's a bit weird at first but as long as you keep the curbs on your left you'll get the hang of it quickly. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but it's just an option.

Feb. 15th a lot of traffic lights still weren't working. Even if they were it would still be scary to drive - lots of blind curves. Our driver was Moses. We arranged a pick up time. I paid both ways seperately. He was really nice and on the way back threw in stops overlooking Magens Bay and Charolette Amalie. Moses.i@hotmail.com 340-643-2041

Feb. 15th a lot of traffic lights still weren't working. Even if they were it would still be scary to drive - lots of blind curves. Our driver was Moses. We arranged a pick up time. I paid both ways seperately. He was really nice and on the way back threw in stops overlooking Magens Bay and Charolette Amalie. Moses.i@hotmail.com 340-643-2041

Hey thanks for the response and the info. Don't think I'll be driving any:D:D

$52 is what you'd expect to pay in total before tips for your round trip. You might want to talk to a driver to see if you can set up a pick up time at Meagan's but for this you usually talk to the drivers outside the pier are on the outskirts of Heavensight mall.

Last two times I've been to St Thomas I've rented a car and made my own time. I wasn't really interested in Meagan's (I was content with some pictures overlooking the beach from a lookout point) but I did Coki and Sapphire Beach, a few scenic stops, a stop at the grocery store, an hour in town and a stop to gas the car back up on a 8am-4:30pm schedule. I did a mock booking, mid June, mid week for a car rental and for about $60 total you can rent a car from one of the companies that have offices right there at Heavensight. With your time frame, I'd go to the beach first, get the car back and do the $5 after 5pm deal that was mentioned at the Skyride. The Skyride is a short walk from the car rental offices and you'd have about an hour to enjoy if your on board time is 6:30pm. Or come back to Skyride earlier and pay the regular price for a more relaxed time at the top.

Just remember: Cars in St Thomas are left hand drive but you also drive on the left side of the road. It's a bit weird at first but as long as you keep the curbs on your left you'll get the hang of it quickly. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but it's just an option.

Thanks for the Great Info. You and Ralphinsc have given me the best ideas. Don't really want to drive and The Mrs. is determine to go to Magan's Bay since it always makes the best beach list. Read good things about Coki and Sapphire. Thanks again.

I've found that most cab drivers have business cards and/or callback numbers to set up a return trip. If not, Megan's Bay is one of those places that always has business and will always have a few cabs lined up to go. Personally, I would only pay for one way at a time since the driver may not be there for the return leg and you would be pretty much out of luck, out of cash, and out of time to hunt him down.

And yep, with an 11:30 arrival time, hitting the skyride up to Paradise Point would be great right off the boat. You could grab lunch there if you want and then ride back down and catch a cab to the beach. :D

Best info I think I've ever gotten on CC. I will follow this plan. Skyride 1st and then taxi to the beach. thanks for the good info and HAPPY CRUISING:cool:

• 1 month later...

We just got back and this is how our day went:

1015am, cleared for docking and right off the ship to walk to the Paradise point tram. We caught a lot more offers for tours, taxis, and hard sells NOt to buy the tram tickets than I expected. But everyone was fine with a gentle "No thanks" and a "We have a tour already booked" answer. We did have one guy that was decently persistent and he must of walked with us for three blocks trying to "save" us money on riding the skyride up.

The skyride to Paradise point is $21 per adult, so it was $63 for my three to ride up. Each cabin can hold up to 12 people, but they were only allowing a max of eight per gondola. Each dispatch had three gondolas and they came at seven minute intervals. So it can certainly back up if there is a rush of people as a big ship docks. Don't dawdle if you are planning to go right away, beat the crowd.

Up top, we enjoyed lunch and a few drinks. The views are awesome. I loved watching a seaplane land and take off from the bay below. The food itself wasn't particularly memorable and seemed a bit over-priced (I understand why, since everything has to be imported in). We shopped for a few trinkets and then rode back down to catch a taxi to Virgin Island Ecotours.

We met a taxi driver named Annie immediately upon exiting our gondola at the bottom of Paradise Point (the obviously stake the area out to offer rides). Our fare from the bottom of the skyride to Virgin Island Ecotours was $10 per person. My brother got the same ride for $9 per person for his party of four. Our ride back was $10 per person for seven. Annie was a very personable and talkative driver. Our ride back was a lot less so and he was not pleased to have to take people that were not fully dried in his cab. He did get a bit more pleased with the 20% tip on his $70 fare.

Our kayak/hike/snorkel tour with Virgin Islands Ecotours was EXCELLENT. It was scheduled at 1:30 pm until 4:30 pm. We had Skylar as our guide and there was eleven of us in the group (seven from our family and four from another family). The Excursion that went right before us had 19, and the group that went after us easily had over 30. Really enjoyed all of the information given, from the ecology to the history of the islands. The kayaking was fun and it was cool to see the water change from murky to crystal clear as we got nearer to the entrance of the lagoon. We hiked on Cas Cay tp the blowhole and stopped several times to observe wildlife on the land and sea. We had a hermit crab race at the hermit crab village (thousands of hermit crabs!) We saw plenty of brittle stars, fire worms, and urchins in the shallow tide pools. Once we got back to the boats, we donned our snorkeling gear and snorkeled in the lagoon up to the reef guarding the entrance. We saw tons of fish, an octopus, a juvenile ray, and Eagle ray, conch, coral, and so much more. The snorkeling started great, but it got a little hectic as people from outside of our tour and the second tour group eventually caught up and ended up in the water along with us. Before we knew it, it was time to get back aboard our kayaks and paddle the mile and a half back through the mangroves. We bought the digital photo package and perhaps I'll have a few pictures to add here as I get the time to upload them. Very impressed with our tour and for $68 a person, it was well worth the money!

The cab ride back was only about 15 minutes, even with decent traffic, and we got back to the pier with plenty of time to spare for our 5:30 sailaway.

It was a wonderful, wonderful day in St.Thomas and cannot wait to go back again.