Outsmarted class system

Mopsymillar

Very true.

We should stop reviewing consumer products because so many people globally have no access to them.

Then we should stop taking medications, stop washing our hands and simply cut electricity off for the same valid reason.

Cruise lines should be blessed for every reduction in quality they do.

Well Mein Schiff 3 is certainly setting a wonderful example with it's inside cabins! Good on 'em! :D

I don't think the OP needs to worry about the fact that others have cruised the line enough that their loyalty is rewarded. Each of those people cruised Celebrity for the first time and was where the OP is now. I'd advise OP to enjoy their cruise experience and not worry about what others have. All the worry will do is diminish their experience. If someone wants to pay more for a different accommodation, more power to them. Enjoy you cruise.

Hi Keith - I am with you. don't quite get why a lot of people only cruise with the same line. I have a couple of friends who do that. But a lot of people choose to go back to the same place year after year on holiday so I suppose it is no different. We choose a cruise first because of the date (as we are limited to school holiday time) then budget then itinerary, There are a couple of cruise lines we don't think we want to cruise with but generally are open minded. We have cruised with RCI, P & O, Oceania, Celebrity and a UK firm who we started off with (and got us addicted to cruising). We have gone on lots of cruises but never enough with one line to become elite (or whatever). Maybe that is daft and we are missing out on benefits. Anyway, have just booked our second cruise on Celebrity for next year - in a AC cabin - and looking forward to it immensely. We cruise every other year because we like other sorts of holidays too. The world is your oyster!

We will be on our first celebrity cruise in May 18. This will be our fourth cruise and we've another booked for October this year.

Is it just me or is anyone else unsettled by cruisings archaic class system?

It sort of makes you feel unwelcome if you've not reached a certain station in cruising life:(.

Does Airline or Hotel status make you feel unwelcome?

If one is first time cruiser or a twentieth time cruiser it will make no difference to your cruise with possibly one exception. That exception is if one has to tender ashore. Newbies will have to queue up where more loyal cruisers will probably have priority tendering. if the newbie is undertaking a ships excursion or in a suite then queuing up is not required.

Functions/ perks for loyalty members will be advised separately to those involved and the newbie will go about their life as normal.

Unless someone flaunts their status and I have never seen that on 8 previous cruises one would never know the status of the guy or gal lying on the sunlounger next to you at the pool

It's my opinion that those who would consider the division of cabin categories on any given ship an "archaic system" might just be sore they themselves set priorities that restrict their experiences when others do not. To be overly simple the "archaic system" is nothing more than "pay-to-play." Just because you choose not to afford the finer real estate aboard doesn't provide you the room to consider it a "class system." Just like on board an airliner, those seated in the back of the cabin have no justifiable reason to resent those seated in the first class cabin UNLESS first class was sold out when they purchased their ticket. If frugality is a priority over comfort and convenience then don't complain because not EVERYONE has the same priorities! If the fact is you haven't chosen to incur preventative debt, dependents or addictions and your living doesn't allow for such comforts then one should take pride in their willingness to earn what they have, enjoy what they have earned and understand that those who are able to afford more are absolutely no better or more deserving, they simply have more means which in the end amounts to just shy of nothing. Resentment is the purist form of jealousy. Personally I relish seeing other people enjoying their lives and the extravagances they are able to afford themselves. Its never bothered me a bit to see someone happy. If someone has something you want, work hard and get it for yourself. If you just want everyone to be the same as you...well, work hard, and get real.

We have cruised in Aqua previously and enjoyed the Blu Restaurant. I think suites have the Luminae but this is almost the only difference beside of Michaels Club, a venue I never visited before it became a lounge only for suite passengers. So don´t worry. Once you´re onboard nobody will ask if you have an inside or a suite.

...So don´t worry. Once you´re onboard nobody will ask if you have an inside or a suite.

Well maybe not. There's a very popular UK entertainer who works a lot on cruise ships including Celebrity who sometimes gets members of the audience to "come out" and declare to the rest of the audience that "they're in an inside cabin and proud" - it's all done in good humour and he probably gets some of the biggest standing ovations I've seen on board

Well maybe not. There's a very popular UK entertainer who works a lot on cruise ships including Celebrity who sometimes gets members of the audience to "come out" and declare to the rest of the audience that "they're in an inside cabin and proud" - it's all done in good humour and he probably gets some of the biggest standing ovations I've seen on board

In that situation ones' anonymity as to cabin is still protected as one does not need to participate in that portion of the show, even if in a suite...

In which case that is what I consider 'self-outing' LOL..

bon voyage

We will be on our first celebrity cruise in May 18. This will be our fourth cruise and we've another booked for October this year.

Is it just me or is anyone else unsettled by cruisings archaic class system?

It sort of makes you feel unwelcome if you've not reached a certain station in cruising life:(.

What surprised me most of all about the OP's complaints of an "archaic class system" on cruise ships is that this is someone from the UK, where they still have royalty, lords and ladies, dukes and duchesses, etc.

Their upper house of parliament is the House of Lords, where members have titles like Lord or Earl or Baroness or Viscount.

I hope the OP realizes that on cruise ships, anybody at all who is willing to pay for a top level suite can book one, regardless of one's family heritage or occupation.

In fact, some humble people of very modest means will save up and book an upper level suite to celebrate a special occasion.

Some do it when they are recovering from an illness or injury, for the additional pampering.

As for loyalty tier status, we have all had the experience of taking our first cruise on a new cruise line, and I cannot recall ever being made to feel unwelcome.

Being treated so well as newcomers keeps people returning to a cruise line for future cruises.

I wonder if the OP also resents the "archaic class system" where people who are willing to pay more get better seats at shows and sports events, better hotel accommodations, better quality clothing, furniture, jewelry, and so on.

What surprised me most of all about the OP's complaints of an "archaic class system" on cruise ships is that this is someone from the UK, where they still have royalty, lords and ladies, dukes and duchesses, etc.

Their upper house of parliament is the House of Lords, where members have titles like Lord or Earl or Baroness or Viscount.

Whilst the House of Lords does good and valuable work - it is completely unelected - many are there because they either inherited a title (That has diminished in recent years) or are there through political patronage. The UK is also the only democratic country to give seats in its legislature (again in The House of Lords) to religiousrepresentatives as of right - but only one religion - ridiculous in a multi cultural country that in many ways is now secular.

In fact, some humble people of very modest means will save up and book an upper level suite to celebrate a special occasion.

As a mere shop assistant who started part time at 11, and finished part time employment at 77, we booked a top suite on Cunard to celebrate retirement. OK, I made good, and for 20 years we used to take 2 or 3 cruises in balcony, but with every line making cutbacks we decided to just have one expensive suite instead for our final cruise. We met policemen, teachers, insurance salesmen and lots of folk just like us, just wanting something a little better, but never met a Lord or Lady as far as I am aware!