Is the free at sea really a good deal???

crazyboutdisney

Six simple words will clear up any questions you might ever have about a cruise line offer (and they even apply outside the cruise line world).

Ignore the words

Do the numbers

Well said.

Does Carnival have Coke or Pepsi??:rolleyes::p

Clearly, what is best for one person is not necessarily best for another person. This concept applies to both choice of cruise line and to drink packages.

For myself, I can't think of one drink that would cost $50 which I could stomach (assuming most of these are scotchs, whiskeys, etc), yet I can drink more than 15 $15 drinks in one day. I am happy with the free filtered water on the pool deck, in the buffet, and in the pitchers I have delivered to my cabin for free. In fact, I kind of like the fact NCL charges a premium for bottled water. And I don't drink coffee, milkshakes, or any other random stuff not included.

I do love my Capt and Cokes, but Pepsi will work just fine for only the cost of grats.

UBP....see you in October.:D

I would have paid $250 to NOT have her along! :p

To each their own I suppose. I prefer my MIL over my actual mother any day. Plus her ability to speak Italian will come in tremendously handy on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise in May ;)

Although her portion of the cruise is "free", she is still offering to split the total cost with us anyway. Which now gives us a lot of wiggle room for upgrade bids. If I were to get lucky enough to end up in the owners suite at the price we've bid, heck, I'd even allow my own mother in there with me for the week!

So we got back a few weeks ago from our first cruise with NCL, on the Getway and LOVED it!!! We normally cruise with carnival and nothing against them but NCL seemed to be a step above. Still like Carnival though :)

Anyway, we had booked through a travel agent with a private group so we never saw the breakdown of the cruise cost. We are now looking at going next year and we noticed when you add the "free" items such as the UBP they add a $250 service fee:confused::confused::confused:. So this has us thinking is this really a good deal?? Being new to NCL I thought I would ask opinions. Thank you!!!!

Your first paragraph could have been written by me, We're platinum on Carnival and relative newbies to Norwegian and we said the same thing, that NCL was a step above but we still "love" Carnival.

Your first paragraph could have been written by me, We're platinum on Carnival and relative newbies to Norwegian and we said the same thing, that NCL was a step above but we still "love" Carnival.

There were so many small things. Like the showers were a door and not a curtain. The layout of the buffet was brilliant. But I would sail on carnival again in a heart beat. Actually we just booked on NCL for Feb 2019 and I am thinking of taking my daughter on carnival March 2019

The UBP is totally worth it for my husband and I. We do not like to worry about our bill and just order what we would like. However, for those that don't drink a lot, if they book the sail away price they save a lot of money. It is more that just the cost of the UBP gratuity.

what is this sail away price and how do you find it? I did a mock booking for our December 6th cruise on the Dawn and don't see any sail away pricing.

Could you point me in the right direction please.

TIA

Bill

what is this sail away price and how do you find it? I did a mock booking for our December 6th cruise on the Dawn and don't see any sail away pricing.

TIA

Bill

Sorry Chars, just happened to be online.

Bill,

Under the cabin category, you will see the lowest cost cabin usually designated by _X ie IX. That is the sail away rate. GYT cabin no perk offered. Above that you will see cabins ID and so on with a higher cost.

Hope this helps.

TIA

Bill

Sorry Chars, just happened to be online.

Bill,

Under the cabin category, you will see the lowest cost cabin usually designated by _X ie IX. That is the sail away rate. GYT cabin no perk offered. Above that you will see cabins ID and so on with a higher cost.

Hope this helps.

Yes it did help. Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.:)

Bill

it's a good deal for us when they have it include passengers 3 & 4. We don't drink, but the extra passengers do lower the price in side-by-side cost comparisons. We picked the dining incentive to go with it, and will pay OOP for the non-covered pax. It's not as good a deal as a few years ago (unlimited dining for all the people in the stateroom) but it is a nice perk for us.

Re Coffee and water, never had an issue finding either for free on NCL. Ice water and coffee at most any bar.

I was not talking about tap water or coffee, I was referring to the same items that many bemoan about not being included on NCL with their package, specifically bottled water and I drink Pellegrino which you can't get from a spigot and espresso based coffee drinks. And energy drinks, and fresh squeezed juice as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to pass on UBP but I'd like the input of experienced cruisers.

We're travelling with our four kids so it's more of a "working vacation". ;)

We're not heavy drinkers in any situation. 1-2 drinks a day at most. No baileys in the coffee.

If we do get UBP then we have to pay for a soda package for the kids. They don't drink soda. We all prefer (tap) water as our primary beverage.

Is there anything I'm missing? If it were just me and my husband then I'd definitely see the appeal but for this cruise I think it's not for us.

I'm planning to pass on UBP but I'd like the input of experienced cruisers.

We're travelling with our four kids so it's more of a "working vacation". ;)

We're not heavy drinkers in any situation. 1-2 drinks a day at most. No baileys in the coffee.

If we do get UBP then we have to pay for a soda package for the kids. They don't drink soda. We all prefer (tap) water as our primary beverage.

Is there anything I'm missing? If it were just me and my husband then I'd definitely see the appeal but for this cruise I think it's not for us.

You do not have to get the soda package if you take the perk of UBP. We have had it as a “freebie “ on our last 3 cruises and we’re not required to get the soda package for our 3 teens. We are cruising in June and , once again, we have the UBP and the kids do not have to get the soda package.

We usually buy it on board if they want it , but we are doing the Mediterranean port intensive and they won’t need it as we are off ship most of the time

We are all booked in the same H4 .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. My TA said that if we selected UBP the kids were automatically assigned the soda package. Maybe it's just by default but can be removed?

Regardless that's a minor factor. Any flaws in the rest of my reasoning?

How many rooms are you booked in? I’m assuming more than 1 and they required you to split the adults up so you have an adult and child as passengers #1 and #2 in each room. Yes, if you choose the UBP for both rooms it will be automatically given to passengers #1 and #2 and you’ll have to pay the service charge on both. If passenger #2 it will default to the soda package. So per room you’ll have a UBP and soda package to pay the service charge on and 1 child will have the soda package. You are not required to purchase it for anyone else in the room.

The UBP promo isn’t for everyone and it sounds like it may not be for you.

Interesting. My TA said that if we selected UBP the kids were automatically assigned the soda package. Maybe it's just by default but can be removed?

Regardless that's a minor factor. Any flaws in the rest of my reasoning?

No, because of your situation you go the cheapest route whatsoever without a perk. Depending upon when you're cruising you may be able to get a rock bottom price. Since you're going to be perk free, I would also look at Carnival or the MSC Seaside as alternative choices for rock bottom pricing

How many rooms are you booked in? I’m assuming more than 1 and they required you to split the adults up so you have an adult and child as passengers #1 and #2 in each room. Yes, if you choose the UBP for both rooms it will be automatically given to passengers #1 and #2 and you’ll have to pay the service charge on both. If passenger #2 it will default to the soda package. So per room you’ll have a UBP and soda package to pay the service charge on and 1 child will have the soda package. You are not required to purchase it for anyone else in the room.

The UBP promo isn’t for everyone and it sounds like it may not be for you.

We're in two rooms, each with one adult and two kids. Thanks for your input.

No, because of your situation you go the cheapest route whatsoever without a perk. Depending upon when you're cruising you may be able to get a rock bottom price. Since you're going to be perk free, I would also look at Carnival or the MSC Seaside as alternative choices for rock bottom pricing

I'm not following this at all.

Changing cruises is not an option. We're travelling with family and have flights and everything booked.

Why would we be "perk free"? We can pick 2/5 and have, IIRC, selected the dining and shore excursions credits. Those can be changed which is why I'm reading up.

Depends on how much you drink and if you want to pick your room.

Example: We are going on NCL Escape 6 night cruise in April

Lowest cat Bal room and get UBP deal is $2194 for 2 people with taxes

Sail away Deal for Balcony. They assign you a room with no deals is $1541 for 2 people total.

Difference is $653. That's 43 $15 drinks.

We always( almost always) pick the lowest level but not the sail away so we can get the perks. We like the freedom to have 1 drink a day or 10 and not have to worry about it.

So we got back a few weeks ago from our first cruise with NCL, on the Getway and LOVED it!!! We normally cruise with carnival and nothing against them but NCL seemed to be a step above. Still like Carnival though :)

Anyway, we had booked through a travel agent with a private group so we never saw the breakdown of the cruise cost. We are now looking at going next year and we noticed when you add the "free" items such as the UBP they add a $250 service fee:confused::confused::confused:. So this has us thinking is this really a good deal?? Being new to NCL I thought I would ask opinions. Thank you!!!!

If you're a full on Category 5 alcoholic, then yes it's a hell of a deal.

Sadly it is a good deal/perk....However...They find a way to still gouge you. The UBP is very limited and doesn't include coffees, shakes, water, sports beverages , etc Unlike Carnival which includes just about everything in there's at $30/day less!! The value they place on the UBP at $89/day is ridiculous plus they use 18.5% for service charge which again is higher than other lines (15%). So yes your saving but paying through the nose on gratuity charges due to the inflated daily price its calculated on!

We're in two rooms, each with one adult and two kids. Thanks for your input.

I'm not following this at all.

Changing cruises is not an option. We're travelling with family and have flights and everything booked.

Why would we be "perk free"? We can pick 2/5 and have, IIRC, selected the dining and shore excursions credits. Those can be changed which is why I'm reading up.

You were not specific that you're locked in, cruising on a balcony and deciding on which two perks to pick. I had mistakenly assumed you were going the budget route and looking for cheapest way possible to cruise.

I personally would never pick the shore excursions credit because many excursions can be found independently cheaper and in much smaller groups.

The value they place on the UBP at $89/day is ridiculous plus they use 18.5% for service charge which again is higher than other lines (15%). So yes your saving but paying through the nose on gratuity charges due to the inflated daily price its calculated on!
It's up to 20% per day or 17.80 for the gratuity charge.

Depends on how much you drink and if you want to pick your room.

Very true. I ALWAYS pick my stateroom since the staterooms in a particular category are the same price but are not always "equal".

The value they place on the UBP at $89/day is ridiculous plus they use 18.5% for service charge which again is higher than other lines (15%). So yes your saving but paying through the nose on gratuity charges due to the inflated daily price its calculated on!

The service charge is 20%. ;p

As for "paying through the nose...", I don't see how $17.80pppd qualifies.

If you're a full on Category 5 alcoholic, then yes it's a hell of a deal.

Seriously, possibly you should think it through a bit more. I think most people are able to consume enough free drinks during a cruise to meet what the service charge is on the free at sea offer ($17.80 a day). I'd find it real difficult to drink enough to buy the package.