P & O Arcadia or Sapphire Princess ?

IDB37

Hi

We are UK ex-pats, living in Alberta, Canada for fourteen years now. Aged mid 50's & young(ish !) in outlook.

We've cruised previously mainly with Celebrity, but also Cunard, RCL, & a single time each on Crystal & Princess (Ruby - 2011).

Having just retired, we're looking at the possibility of cruising from Singapore to Southampton in March/April 2019. At the moment, we're booked to travel the 37 night route with Sapphire Princess, but have also noticed that Arcadia is making a similar sailing around the same time, with the additional option of boarding at Hong Kong.

We've never cruised with P & O and would welcome any thoughts as to how the two lines measure up against each other.

We know that P & O will have a heavy British influence, (which is fine, as that is where we come from !), but we're wondering how the demographics, entertainment & food quality etc. compare.

Any input/views would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Harry & Deanna

Arcadia is an adults only vessel whereas the Sapphire Princess is not. Also the Sapphire will have completed a 2 week refit on the day you would join her so should be in a pristine condition.

Be aware that if you travel with P&O the onboard charges would be in £ sterling as opposed to $ dollar on the Sapphire.

Hi

We are UK ex-pats, living in Alberta, Canada for fourteen years now. Aged mid 50's & young(ish !) in outlook.

We've cruised previously mainly with Celebrity, but also Cunard, RCL, & a single time each on Crystal & Princess (Ruby - 2011).

Having just retired, we're looking at the possibility of cruising from Singapore to Southampton in March/April 2019. At the moment, we're booked to travel the 37 night route with Sapphire Princess, but have also noticed that Arcadia is making a similar sailing around the same time, with the additional option of boarding at Hong Kong.

We've never cruised with P & O and would welcome any thoughts as to how the two lines measure up against each other.

We know that P & O will have a heavy British influence, (which is fine, as that is where we come from !), but we're wondering how the demographics, entertainment & food quality etc. compare.

Any input/views would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Harry & Deanna

P&O is more formal. Jacket is required on formal nights in public areas including the Main Dining Room. No jacket means a meal in the buffet. P&O tend to do more formal nights. Four on a fortnight cruise as opposed to 3 with Princess. Tips are cheaper with P&O and some extras like shuttle buses are included. Drinks are cheaper on P&O but Princess do offer drinks packages. Sapphire Princess has an indoor pool (with a retractable roof) and the International café which serves complementary pastries, salads, deserts and sandwiches depending on the time of day.

Both lines open the Main dining room on port days. (Princess even on embarkation day!)

Both lines offer good food in the dining room.

P&O has tea and coffee making facilities. I can't remember if Princess just does this out of Southampton.

Sapphire Princess is a bigger ship with Movies under the stars. A family ship but with a long cruise I wouldn't expect to see many children and both have kids clubs so you hardly see the children anyway.

Hope this helps

Arcadia is an adults only vessel whereas the Sapphire Princess is not. Also the Sapphire will have completed a 2 week refit on the day you would join her so should be in a pristine condition.

Be aware that if you travel with P&O the onboard charges would be in £ sterling as opposed to $ dollar on the Sapphire.

The refit is in March 2018 the thread starter is talking about a cruise in March/April unless I am mistaken.

If it was me it would be Sapphire Princess every time more of an international cruiser where Arcadia will be prominently British and older because of adults only and a long cruise so majority will be retired. Although drinks/tips are cheaper with P&O IMO the food and service is better on Princess.

I mainly Cruise P&O, but I have been with Princess. We found the experience to be 80% to 90%. The same. The food was just as good on both but there were a couple of stand out meals on Princess. Also one or two less so. The one advantage that Sapphire Princess has over Arcadia is that she has more entertainment venues. This is down to the class of ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have cruised with Princess and on Arcadia. To my mind, Arcadia is fine, but too 'British'. It's a bit like the floating equivalent of Eastbourne. Fine if you like Eastbourne, but I prefer a more cosmopolitan mix, which you will find on Princess.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions and input, which I think confirms Princess as the right decision for us.

(With apologies to anyone from Eastbourne !)

I think you made the right choice!

P&O is more formal. Jacket is required on formal nights in public areas including the Main Dining Room. No jacket means a meal in the buffet. P&O tend to do more formal nights. Four on a fortnight cruise as opposed to 3 with Princess. Tips are cheaper with P&O and some extras like shuttle buses are included. Drinks are cheaper on P&O but Princess do offer drinks packages. Sapphire Princess has an indoor pool (with a retractable roof) So does Arcadia and the International café which serves complementary pastries, salads, deserts and sandwiches depending on the time of day.

Both lines open the Main dining room on port days. (Princess even on embarkation day!)

Both lines offer good food in the dining room.

P&O has tea and coffee making facilities. I can't remember if Princess just does this out of Southampton.

Sapphire Princess is a bigger ship with Movies under the stars. A family ship but with a long cruise I wouldn't expect to see many children and both have kids clubs so you hardly see the children anyway. Arcadia is adults only.

Hope this helps

The food will be different too - more veggies on P&O, more meat on Princess.