Can 18 year old's order beer & wine?

lahoban

I believe that if you are old enough to be drafted for war and possibly die for your country, get married, drive a car, smoke,vote, be financially responsible for yourself etc etc, then you ARE old enough to order and drink alcohol-whatever kind.

This doesnt mean I think alcohol is a good thing, it can be deadly for so many and in so many different ways; DUIs, domestic violence, child abuse and the ruination of untold families and individuals lives, the list is neverending and heartbreaking. Nevertheless, because of the above I believe that it's a right that 18-20 should be given-on land or sea. Liz-Member of Bill W.

chasetf, You're wrong IMHO.

At 20 years of age, my parents had passed away, I was married, working full time and finishing my first University degree.

That was a long time ago, but I when I was taking a vacation I expected to be treated with courtesy and respect. I'd be pretty pissed of if a corporation's rules wouldn't allow my wife and I to have a glass of wine with our dinner. After all; I was paying the bill. .(FWIW the laws back then were pretty much 18 throughout the States)

It seems to me that if you're a parent and you don't think your young adult kids are mature enough, don't allow them the privilege of being able to sign for drinks. That was the basis of the original query wasn't it?

Anyhow, what do I care.... I'm over 21 and I'm going on a cruise vacation!:D

Curious.... I too was married at 20 and completing my education just like you, plus had our first daughter on the way. I respected the laws of the land and did not push the fact (nor get p...ed of) I had to wait until 21 to go to a bar or have a glass of wine with my dinner. (And FWIW in Calif it was and is still 21)

I believe that if you are old enough to be drafted for war and possibly die for your country, get married, drive a car, smoke,vote, be financially responsible for yourself etc etc, then you ARE old enough to order and drink alcohol-whatever kind..........Nevertheless, because of the above I believe that it's a right that 18-20 should be given-on land or sea. Liz-Member of Bill W.

The "they are young enough to die in a war" argument falls on my deaf ears. As a commanding officer of a combat ready overseas deployed battery, my experience and personal observation are that 18-20 year olds are the least responsible drinkers. Almost every discipline problem I had to deal with involved GI's abusing alcohol.

Curious.... I too was married at 20 and completing my education just like you, plus had our first daughter on the way. I respected the laws of the land and did not push the fact (nor get p...ed of) I had to wait until 21 to go to a bar or have a glass of wine with my dinner. (And FWIW in Calif it was and is still 21)

This will be my last word.

The laws of the world where cruise ships travel are 18. This has nothing to do with respecting "their" laws. In fact, people like you argue that "their" laws aren't restrictive enough. You want your laws to be imported around you. Onto a foreign ship (cruise ships are almost always registered in the Bahamas or some off shore country of convenience) then to a foreign land.

Personally I've had enough of those who can only see their narrow interpretation of the world using exclusively their law, their religion or what ever.

This will be my last word.

The laws of the world where cruise ships travel are 18. This has nothing to do with respecting "their" laws. In fact, people like you argue that "their" laws aren't restrictive enough. You want your laws to be imported around you. Onto a foreign ship (cruise ships are almost always registered in the Bahamas or some off shore country of convenience) then to a foreign land.

Personally I've had enough of those who can only see their narrow interpretation of the world using exclusively their law, their religion or what ever.

Yes understand where you are coming from re' narrow interpretation'....those people are wearing 'rose colored glasses' Many of the disagreements in this world are possibly started because of this................We are only human,and must try and learn to comprehend each others point of view.

I believe that if you are old enough to be drafted for war and possibly die for your country, get married, drive a car, smoke,vote, be financially responsible for yourself etc etc, then you ARE old enough to order and drink alcohol-whatever kind.

And the cruise lines – and most of the United States – believe that you are old enough to be drafted and vote BEFORE you’re old enough to drink alcohol. Because you don’t agree with the law or guidelines, you ignore them? What kind of example is that for your kids?

The laws of the world where cruise ships travel are 18.
International law and ships guidelines are two different things - in this case the guidelines overrule the law as long as the guidelines don't say someone under 18 can drink alcohol. When you sign your cruise contract and pay your fare, you are not paying for carte blanche to do whatever you want – you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the cruise contract and they include adhering to certain guidelines on board. One of those that is strictly enforced is the minimum drinking age. It has already been stated here that crew members on Princess ships can be dismissed (and have been) if it is noted they are serving alcohol to passengers under the age of 21. I would take that to mean Princess is serious about this issue. If you don’t care if minors drink, or if you don’t care about the on-board guidelines, surely you must care a little bit if you put a crew member's job in danger by trying to get alcohol for someone under 21.

And the cruise lines – and most of the United States – believe that you are old enough to be drafted and vote BEFORE you’re old enough to drink alcohol. Because you don’t agree with the law or guidelines, you ignore them? What kind of example is that for your kids? International law and ships guidelines are two different things - in this case the guidelines overrule the law as long as the guidelines don't say someone under 18 can drink alcohol. When you sign your cruise contract and pay your fare, you are not paying for carte blanche to do whatever you want – you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the cruise contract and they include adhering to certain guidelines on board. One of those that is strictly enforced is the minimum drinking age. It has already been stated here that crew members on Princess ships can be dismissed (and have been) if it is noted they are serving alcohol to passengers under the age of 21. I would take that to mean Princess is serious about this issue. If you don’t care if minors drink, or if you don’t care about the on-board guidelines, surely you must care a little bit if you put a crew member's job in danger by trying to get alcohol for someone under 21.

I think you misunderstood this deep subject........Nowhere in this topic has it been stated that drinks should be served to an under aged person on any ship.

I think you misunderstood this deep subject........Nowhere in this topic has it been stated that drinks should be served to an under aged person on any ship.

What? See the below quotes – given the policy on Princess ships is no alcohol served to anyone under 21, I don’t think I’m the one who has misunderstood:

The laws of the world where cruise ships travel are 18.
On our last 7 nighter on the Sapphire, we WANTED our 19 year old son to have wine at dinner.
It should be the parents choice, not a cruise company's, whether or not their young adult children can order drinks when it's perfectly legal to do so in the international waters and countries they visit.

Refusing service strikes me as a generally baffling policy.

And the cruise lines – and most of the United States – believe that you are old enough to be drafted and vote BEFORE you’re old enough to drink alcohol. Because you don’t agree with the law or guidelines, you ignore them? What kind of example is that for your kids? International law and ships guidelines are two different things - in this case the guidelines overrule the law as long as the guidelines don't say someone under 18 can drink alcohol. When you sign your cruise contract and pay your fare, you are not paying for carte blanche to do whatever you want – you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the cruise contract and they include adhering to certain guidelines on board. One of those that is strictly enforced is the minimum drinking age. It has already been stated here that crew members on Princess ships can be dismissed (and have been) if it is noted they are serving alcohol to passengers under the age of 21. I would take that to mean Princess is serious about this issue. If you don’t care if minors drink, or if you don’t care about the on-board guidelines, surely you must care a little bit if you put a crew member's job in danger by trying to get alcohol for someone under 21.

Great post.... I do not understand why, when parents know the rules going in, they then complain about them and / or choose to ignore them even at the risk of a crew member's job. :confused: :confused: :confused:

If they want their child to have the opportunity to drink, why don't they vacation in Cancun or some similiar venue. :D

Like France for instance its a ordinary everyday occurence for a young child to be offered a small glass of wine at the dinner table.

Most parents on any cruise ship would not ask staff to bring their under age child a alcohlic drink....so why bring that up.?

The OP brought up a worldly point of view which went beyond the original subject of alcohol ( that was just one aspect) that you all missed .

Thats the last I will be talking on this issue.:cool:

Is it a matter of the bill or is it a matter of whether a minor is allowed to have alcohol – including beer or wine? If it is only a matter of the bill, then are you condoning a minor drinking when they are under the minimum acceptable age? Right or wrong, the cruise line has set a policy for the minimum age of drinking. That policy is in line with the U.S., where most of the passengers come from. I’m sure given the international nature of the passenger load, the cruise lines have thought about their liability and risks when setting that age. It would be nice if the passengers on board accepted that – or went somewhere else for their vacation.

It is fact that the minimum age for drinking is taken very seriously on board Princess ships – that and that the minimum age is 21. As posted above, there are other cruise lines which allow drinking of wine and beer at age 18 - perhaps those cruise lines are more suitable?

I don’t agree. Kids from the U.S. who are considered in the minority until they are 21 will not be responsible if they are suddenly given alcohol at 18 on board a ship. What happens on shore is one thing and in most cases (unless on a ship sponsored tour) the cruise line will not accept any responsibility to what happens to the little ones when they are on shore. Just ask the people Dawn Princess left behind in Mazatlan. On the ship, however, the cruise line becomes liable from someone who becomes intoxicated, gets into an accident or altercation and decides to blame the cruise line for their issues. People who are severely drunk do not take responsibility for themselves.

I don't think you understood my post. IF they allowed an eighteen year old to drink on board then I would want to set ground rules before sailing. Are you having a bad day? All your responses to this question seem to be very rude and negative. Just for your info. I also live in California where I am well aware of the legal drinking age. As a matter of fact my husband is a California Highway Patrolman. Letting your minor child drink even if at home is not legal, not even getting into the moral issue. Have you heard of contributing to a minor?

If the cruise line allowed an eighteen year old to consume any alcohol then how would you stop them? Follow them around for the duration of your cruise? I believe the original poster just asked a simple question, none of us know the reason why. And frankly I don't need to know the reason. The question was "is the minimum age eighteen for beer and wine" I don't think my post was questioning the right or wrong of underage drinking.:confused:

I never expected such a heated debate. It was just a simple question. Not all cruiseline's are run the same and I wanted to make sure I knew the rules before we left that's all.

Kruisey, this is not the most important part of my cruise it was "just a question" so I will know the rules before we board.

A Sixth?, thank you for your kind answer.

Also, I went back and read my original post and there were alot of spelling errors. Sorry, it was late at night and I was very tired.

I never expected such a heated debate. It was just a simple question. Not all cruiseline's are run the same and I wanted to make sure I knew the rules before we left that's all.

Kruisey, this is not the most important part of my cruise it was "just a question" so I will know the rules before we board.

A Sixth?, thank you for your kind answer.

Also, I went back and read my original post and there were alot of spelling errors. Sorry, it was late at night and I was very tired.

I completely understood your original post as did most of the others. Some, obviously found it to be a question of concern to them and showed by there less then kind responses. I don't understand why a simple question has to turn soooo ugly. We believe in following the rules in all aspects of life. So making sure you know the rules ahead of time makes sense to me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think you understood my post. IF they allowed an eighteen year old to drink on board then I would want to set ground rules before sailing. Are you having a bad day? All your responses to this question seem to be very rude and negative. Just for your info. I also live in California where I am well aware of the legal drinking age. As a matter of fact my husband is a California Highway Patrolman. Letting your minor child drink even if at home is not legal, not even getting into the moral issue. Have you heard of contributing to a minor?

If the cruise line allowed an eighteen year old to consume any alcohol then how would you stop them? Follow them around for the duration of your cruise? I believe the original poster just asked a simple question, none of us know the reason why. And frankly I don't need to know the reason. The question was "is the minimum age eighteen for beer and wine" I don't think my post was questioning the right or wrong of underage drinking.:confused:

The only reason I asked this qestion is because I read in the Rccl book that 18 year old's can drink beer and wine and then I read on the Carnival board that it is there policy also.(I now know this is wrong). I wanted to know what Princess's policy is on the subject. I have an eighteen year old and do not want her to drink on the cruise but want to know the rules. If she had a sea pass and could order beer or wine I want to know about it. I'm just being a parent.

Um – you’re right, your post wasn’t clear. And that has nothing to do with the kind of day I’m having. Your post suggested that if alcohol was available, you wanted to know because you didn’t want any surprises when your account was closed at the end of the cruise. You didn’t seem too concerned with following the rules – and you wonder if I’m having a bad day.

Given your post above, you should realize that I’ve been backing the cruise line and their policy throughout this thread - if that makes me rude and negative, then so be it. Sorry that posts where the meaning isn’t clear makes it seem like I’m having a bad day. I used to work in the service industry in a bar and I know the lengths some people will go to in order to be served when they are under age. As for contributing to a minor, you might want to mention that to my parents. I never had to go out and lie about my age in order to get alcohol – I could get it at home where I was supervised by adults while some of my schoolmates were out lying about their age, getting alcohol, drinking, driving and dying. Your husband might have scraped them off the pavement. I have heard of contributing to a minor, but morality is not as cut and dry as you might make it out to be.

As for questions about drinking age on Princess ships, the information is readily available from an objective source - the Princess website and pre-cruise publications. Might be a better place to look for it than this board where posts are either unclear or misunderstood.

Um – you’re right, your post wasn’t clear.

Sorry that posts where the meaning isn’t clear makes it seem like I’m having a bad day.

I never had to go out and lie about my age in order to get alcohol –

I don't think ANYONE who posted on this thread said ANYTHING about lying to get there kid alcohol including me.

I am curious though, why would you choose to respond to a post that was "unclear" in your opinion? The original question was obviously more in regard to good parenting then anything else. For you to imply that another cruiseline might be better suited for them, was a bit presumptious.

I truly don't want to argue with you I just find your responses a bit off key.

And just for further info. my oldest child is only seventeen, although if I were cruising when he turned eighteen I could easily have asked the same question.

Eighteen year olds are adults they are responsible for there actions no matter what scenario they are put in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the reason Princess has such a strict drinking age compared to RCCL is because Princess will actually allow young people 19 and up to cruise by themselves. Most other cruiselines require that everyone in the party is either 21+ or one person must be over 25 (i.e. a family). So, if you can have groups of 19 and 20 year olds cruising by themselves, I guess Princess figured it would be best to enforce a 21+ drinking age.

As far as having an underager having a glass of wine with dinner, a lot of times that's not a huge issue if you're with family, but as it was mentioned, you must pour the glass. That's what happened at Sabatini's to me last summer.

I don’t get it and don’t know what kind of example it sets for the minor.

What do you gain from doing this accept showing your children that guidelines don't matter.

I don't think the parents will show this fact as much as being in university will. And I'm sure parent's aren't thinking this when they offer a glass to their "kid". I think it's a little harsh to jump to the conclusion that a parent offering wine to a 20 year old is a bad parent. In many countries it's completely normal, so maybe it's just something you're "used" to. In fact, I'd argue that having such a high drinking age (especially since in that age many are in their 3rd/4th year of college and not living at home) actually tempts people to ignore guidelines (whether or not this carries into other parts of life i have no idea). Being a university student, I've actually noticed that the most irresponsible drinkers are in their first year, when they are still underage. By second year, most are and for some reason, I guess it's not as tempting to binge drink when now you're "allowed".

bdjam,

You're taking lizzybell's post out of context. Never did she she say that she was ignoring the guideliness for anyone under the age of 21. All she said was that she believes that if you're old enough to vote then you're old enough to drink. She didn't even say whether or not she had kids so lighten up! The OP was only asking to no what the rules are prior to cruising, it wasn't a question based on what's most important or bending rules and once again it turns into a big debate. This is why many people get turned off this board, they ask a simple question for whatever reason they have and their ethics gets questioned!

Frankly, I'm in complete agreement that if you're old enough to vote you are old enough to drink. When I grew up, 18 was the drinking age and I was allowed by law to drink. Now it's 21. I do not allow my 17 year old to drink but I'm not foolish enough to think she hasn't ever tried it and never will until she's 21. I don't let her drink because it's against the law. Our friends are here from Brussels and they're laughing because at 16 their son is old enough to drink alcohol but can't drive until 18 but my daughter has been driving here in Florida since 15 but can't drink until she's 21! Just goes to show how different things on throughout the world.

I’m not quite sure how I became the whipping boy on this thread, but let me clarify the events here. My first post was in response to one that indicated minors on Princess ships have their cruise cards coded so that there will be no alcohol sales. In fact a minor was getting “flavoring” in her sodas when using her cruise card on my last cruise. It was apparent that when this was realized, the bartender dispensing the “flavoring” was going to be disciplined.

There are a number of other posts here which indicate that the alcohol policy on Princess ships is incorrect because of international law, ability to vote or go to war or because the age of majority varies from country to country. At no time did I defend those posts and in fact I indicated that Princess can dictate whatever policy they like when it comes to on board behavior as long as they are working within the law. My suggestion that someone book another cruise line if they find the policy not agreeable is a very good suggestion – why would someone want to buy something that they don’t want?

Right – there is no consistency in laws and different countries have different ideas of what is responsible. Believe me I know this better than most when it comes to my ability to marry in this country. But because one feels a law, policy or guideline is incorrect doesn’t mean they should disregard it. There are more responsible ways to deal with issues like this that are not to one's liking.

Finally, I suggested for a good, objective source of information, check the alcohol policy as stated on the Princess website. It’s straight-forward and very clear.

There are various other posts on this thread which apparently are not clear – after the fact. When I see something like this in a post:

If my eighteen year old was allowed to drink ANY alcohol on board, I would want to make sure I set some ground rules. That way I wouldn't get any suprises when my billing came at the end of the cruise.

I can’t help but be led to believe that the actual alcohol policy is secondary to the amount of the bill at the end of the cruise.

Why do I respond to unclear posts? Possibly because they aren’t unclear until afterwards when the poster retracts their statements or makes them more clear. I don’t quite understand why that’s my issue.

So, just to clarify my position – I’m in agreement with Princess Cruises current alcohol sale policy and I understand the business case behind it. Similarly, I would agree with the policy if the minimum age stated was different if it didn't change on board behavior. I don’t believe it’s right for people to demonstrate their parenting skills by trying to get around that policy. If anyone personally is not doing that, great. If you are, I’m disappointed because not only does it set a bad example for your children - no matter their age, but you’re putting crew member’s jobs in jeopardy.

Flame away.

The only reason I asked this qestion is because I read in the Rccl book that 18 year old's can drink beer and wine and then I read on the Carnival board that it is there policy also.(I now know this is wrong). I wanted to know what Princess's policy is on the subject. I have an eighteen year old and do not want her to drink on the cruise but want to know the rules. If she had a sea pass and could order beer or wine I want to know about it. I'm just being a parent.

lahoban, you don't need to explain yourself... your question was very clear and very legitimate. Sorry you had to weed thru some of the more judgemental posts while looking for a clear answer.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

She didn't even say whether or not she had kids so lighten up! The OP was only asking to no what the rules are prior to cruising, it wasn't a question based on what's most important or bending rules and once again it turns into a big debate. This is why many people get turned off this board, they ask a simple question for whatever reason they have and their ethics gets questioned!

Thank You so much! I couldn't agree more.

It seems like some people are just looking for an arguement. Even with the law in my state being 21 to consume alcohol. I would never be naive enough to think my eighteen year old would not drink if the rules so allowed. That is why I would "set some ground rules" as I stated CLEARLY before. I would not want to spend my vacation being a hall monitor for my young adult child. If an eighteen year old was allowed to consume alcohol I certainly would not want them to over indulge, just the same way I feel about any age of drinkers. :D

I am done with this out of control thread. Good luck and enjoy your cruises!

Archived