Barcelona Hop On Hop Off Bus

Reagan0712

We’ll be in Barcelona from 7a to 5p. Our scheduled tour to Monserrat Monastery will take around four hours. We were thinking of trying the Hop On Hop Off bus to see some of Barcelona after the tour. Anyone have experince using this?

We’ll be in Barcelona from 7a to 5p. Our scheduled tour to Monserrat Monastery will take around four hours. We were thinking of trying the Hop On Hop Off bus to see some of Barcelona after the tour. Anyone have experince using this?

Done it twice; nice experience to get a good overall view of a great city! The shuttle bus will take you from the pier to close to the HOHO pick-up point near the very tall Christopher Columbus statue

Agree with Copper -- I used the HOHO bus last Sept and had a very good experience, even with the protesters. We had to change routes a couple of times to get around problems. The driver and guide were both very helpful. I got a very nice overview of the city.

We spent two days on the HOHO precruise one time in Barcelona. It was a good way to see things but the buses moved very slowly. I can't see that a half day is nearly enough time to make this worthwhile. I'd suggest deciding on what you want to see and researching what public transport line will get you there. Last time we were there we rode the subway from near the port to La Sagrada (with reservations to go up the tower, a new experience for us).

Thanks everyone.

Are there maps available showing the bus route(s)?

Is this what we’d want to take? https://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat/en

Yes that is the correct one. There are 3 interacting routes, on the website you will find PDF brochures and maps. You can either do one route, or change from one line to another.

Red route will start and end near the cruise terminal, at the location where the port shuttle will drop you off. If you want to visit the beautifull Parc Güell and Sagrada Familia, you will have to change to the Blue route.

The company I used in Barcelona (and several other cities) was Barcelona City Tours, also known as "the Red Bus". Many cities also have a "Yellow Bus" which I also used elsewhere. I generally found that the Red Buses were a bit better - newer buses and better commentary.

Both Bus companies have more than one route in each city, and transfer between routes is allowed on the daily ticket you purchase. Routes are generally called Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow.

If I'm not mistaken, stop #5 on the Red Route of the Red Bus is at the cruise dock and you can join the tour there.

Rich

If you only have a half day or so, be careful on your timing. I'd advise NOT getting on and off the bus, as you can end up waiting a long time for another bus with room to pick you up again. The buses get very crowded at times.

If you only have a half day or so, be careful on your timing. I'd advise NOT getting on and off the bus, as you can end up waiting a long time for another bus with room to pick you up again. The buses get very crowded at times.

Based on what I found on the website, guides on each bus, I doubt we’ll be getting off much, if at all. Like the other cities on this cruise, I’m more interested in getting an overview of the city so I can decide which ones I’d like to spend more time in in the future.

Based on what I found on the website, guides on each bus, I doubt we’ll be getting off much, if at all. Like the other cities on this cruise, I’m more interested in getting an overview of the city so I can decide which ones I’d like to spend more time in in the future.
May I suggest Barcelona Day Tours. We did a half day tour with them recently and it was terrific. Really not that expensive, either. We got off the tour bus frequently for photo ops and a bit of sight seeing. The Sagrada Familia is not to be missed! We walked around all sides, which you could not not do on the regular bus, unless you got off. There is so much to see in Barcelona, the HOHO bus will not give you much compared to the experience you have on an excursion, unless you're prepared to actually get on and off.

I agree with Lady Arwen and I have done the tour with Barcelona Day tour and the Hop on Hop off bus. There are times when the Hop On Hop Off buses are crowed and you will be unable to board. Barcelona Day tours are much better especially if you want to see the Park Güell which is not to be missed. We did the tour that included Montserrat and we where there to see the Boys Choir perform. Just a wonderful excursion.

I agree with Lady Arwen and I have done the tour with Barcelona Day tour and the Hop on Hop off bus. There are times when the Hop On Hop Off buses are crowed and you will be unable to board. Barcelona Day tours are much better especially if you want to see the Park Güell which is not to be missed. We did the tour that included Montserrat and we where there to see the Boys Choir perform. Just a wonderful excursion.
That is the same tour we did! Yes, the Park was excellent, as was Montserrat. We've also done the tour without Montserrat, which was not as long, but really, really good.

We were pressed for time in Barcelona, so we jumped in a taxi and had him take us to the most important sites. Then we had him drop us at La Rambla so we could do a tapas walk. So much fun! But I heartily recommend HOHO's when time isn't a factor.

We were pressed for time in Barcelona, so we jumped in a taxi and had him take us to the most important sites. Then we had him drop us at La Rambla so we could do a tapas walk. So much fun! But I heartily recommend HOHO's when time isn't a factor.

Las Ramblas! One awesome place to grab a lunch on one of the restaurant terraces in the central walkway and watch the world go by :D

Las Ramblas! One awesome place to grab a lunch on one of the restaurant terraces in the central walkway and watch the world go by

I agree wholeheartedly! We're going back for the 3rd time in October and can't wait; our hotel is just half a block off Las Ramblas and about a block from La Boqueria Market - excellent location!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)