RCCL Schooner Bar Vs. Carnival Piano Bar

I’m more familiar with Carnivals Piano Bar which can become a little rowdy sing-a-long Bar.

Tell me about Royals Schooner Bar

Depends on the crowd and the pianist. But in general I would say the schooner bar is way more laid-back or mellow than what I have experienced with carnival.

Well on the Dec FOS sailing there was a Hawaiian Piano guy who had the place jumping with standing room only. I guess it was the off color jokes and the encouragment to have a drink nothing like Carnival. :cool:

Well on the Dec FOS sailing there was a Hawaiian Piano guy who had the place jumping with standing room only. I guess it was the off color jokes and the encouragment to have a drink nothing like Carnival. :cool:

I’ve been on two rcl trips that I remember with a rocking schooner bar. That is out of nearly 30. Many had decent crowds but nothing to get excited about. Wife and I usually find the pub to be a little more lively but always depends on who is playing.

If Matt Yee is playing the piano in Schooner, everyone will be involved!

BINGO ! That's the guy, I thought he was very entertaining but some people got up and left.

Another great act was kamikaze karaoke with derek lewis a few years ago who set up in a hallway and would nail passerbye's to sing. LOL

BINGO ! That's the guy, I thought he was very entertaining but some people got up and left.

Another great act was kamikaze karaoke with derek lewis a few years ago who set up in a hallway and would nail passerbye's to sing. LOL

Derek Lewis was great! I was sorry to see him leave Royal.

For the life of me, I cannot remember his name. It was our NYE Grandeur of the Seas 2014 cruise. This guy pulled off Guns and Roses on the Piano. I didn't think that was possible, but yeah, he did. Unfortunately, he was only on a short term contract with Royal Caribbean and was returning to Australia after that cruise.

So, also during this cruise, we had a guy who was essentially a rock star wannabe. He was one of our headliner shows on our 10 night cruise. He literally turned the sedate auditorium into a rock concert and that was pretty incredible.

Anyways, it turns out that the wannabe was actually friends with the Piano guy. The band pretty much walked into the Schooner Bar and out of the blue, started a incredible impromptu jam session with the Piano guy. I've never seen the Schooner Bar/piano bar THAT energetic, EVER, across Carnival or Royal Caribbean, and unfortunately, I have yet to find it to hit that level ever again.

• 5 weeks later...

I would have said Carnival was better in the past but November 2017, 12 nt. on Grandeur had JR Neal in Schooner that we really enjoyed. He played to the crowd and as younger baby boomers we enjoyed the 60s, 70s and 80s rock/pop music he played and we sang along with. I think he's with NCL now.

A few weeks ago on Grandeur again, 9 nt. Schooner had Debby Mac for the first few days and enjoyed her too. First night very subdued and more Jazzy music but second night was whatever anyone requested...loved her. For the last 3 nights Mr. H joined the Schooner and loved him. He too played to the crowd with lots of sing-a-longs. Would love to cruise with him as an entertainer as well.

Twice on Anthem in 2016. First time Schooner had PBE that was very old-time singing 1930's type of music. It was crowded with the 'elderly' but lively crowd...older than us but certainly not our style. Another time in Schooner. Matt Yee but he was late night Adult only and not even standing room...lol... wild, wild. Would have stayed but cruising with extended family with 12 and 14 yo nephews.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had mixed experiences with Royal Schooner Bar performers. The best ever was an Australian named Henry Saxby. Brilliantly talented and he set the bar really high. At the other end of the spectrum are performers that add all of the background electric music, which drowns out their voices (maybe on purpose?)

We love to hang out at the Schooner Bar, sit around the piano and sing loud and proud with the pianist and other passengers. When the pianist is sub-par, overly chatty between songs, or too into themselves, we hit the pub instead.

Other great experiences were with Paul O’Shea and we liked Andy Cruickshank, although he had more of a reggae vibe. Others were okay but these guys were memorable.

I haven’t sailed Carnival in a while, but remember that their piano bars were enclosed in a room. Royal’s are often in hallways where people walk through to get somewhere else and are either drawn in or not. On Carnival, people are there on purpose (or used to be). It’s a different dynamic.