US State Department issues alert for Cozumel ferries

moki'smommy

Other cruise lines are canceling excursions from Cozumel that involve ferries.

According to the US Embassy, on March 1, undetonated explosive devices were found by Mexican law enforcement on a tourist ferry that operates between Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Mexico. On February 21, an explosive device detonated on a tourist ferry in Playa del Carmen resulting in injuries, including to U.S. citizens. As of this alert, U.S. Government employees are prohibited from using all tourist ferries on this route until further notice. Mexican and U.S. law enforcement continue to investigate.

This alert pertains to tourist ferries operating between Cozumel and Play del Carmen and is NOT for the island of Cozumel. Disney Cruise Line is currently recommending that all guests remain on the island of Cozumel and avoid traveling on their own to Playa del Carmen.

It is unknown at this time, how long this security alert will remain in effect as these are still listed on DCL’s website when you look at excursions for Cozumel. If you are schedule to visit Cozumel on an upcoming cruise it is best to check the embassy’s website and monitor any and all future communications from Disney Cruise Line.

We were in Cozumel on Friday on Regal and they cancelled all excursions to the mainland with a full refund. We only got about 30 mins notice, which was a bit annoying, but totally understand why the decision was made.

We were in Cozumel on Friday on Regal and they cancelled all excursions to the mainland with a full refund. We only got about 30 mins notice, which was a bit annoying, but totally understand why the decision was made.

That is what I was fearing / expecting . We are scheduled to be in Cozumel in a couple of weeks on our Regal cruise . We have an excursion scheduled through Princess that requires the ferry. I guess we wait and see if anything changes .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the heads up. Any U S international traveler should checkout STEP state department site for due diligence. Just do a web search please. You can register to get alerts for wherever you are. Regards.

Just signed up for it and set up for our next cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Griffith, the ferries run between Cozumel, which is an island just off the coast off Cancun, and the mainland of Mexico. People staying on the mainland ferry over to Cozumel for diving, and cruise ship passengers ferry over to the mainland for the opportunity to see the ruins at Tulum, or even Chichen Itza, or anything else over in Cancun or further inland. They're not affiliated with the cruise ships at all - you pay a fee to use them. It's like taking a city bus - it's a transportation service that runs on a set schedule, at a set price, to get people from one area to another - it's just that this particular route is over water, so it's a boat rather than a bus.

Interesting to see more and more cartel violence impacting the heart of tourist sites like Cabo, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel. I was in Guadalajara over the weekend and we were talking with our some locals about how the tourism industry goes out of its way to somewhat hide the true nature of violence in the area to avoid scaring tourists. The conversation was triggered by my wife receiving a message that someone we knew had been "sequestrado" - kidnapped by one of the local gangs/cartels. The person was released after a spayment was made, but it is an incredibly unnerving and frightening experience. Fortunately, "extranjeros" foreigners are largely ignored as it is just easier for the cartels / gangs to prey on the locals.

I noticed on my list of excursions for NCL there is a Chichen Itsa by Airplane Excursion. Pricey at $499/person, but that is one way to avoid the ferry.

It may be pricey, but you skip the grueling long bus ride, complete with the tour guide hustling souvenirs en route, instead of offering the history you've come to experience.

Interesting to see more and more cartel violence impacting the heart of tourist sites like Cabo, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel. I was in Guadalajara over the weekend and we were talking with our some locals about how the tourism industry goes out of its way to somewhat hide the true nature of violence in the area to avoid scaring tourists. The conversation was triggered by my wife receiving a message that someone we knew had been "sequestrado" - kidnapped by one of the local gangs/cartels. The person was released after a spayment was made, but it is an incredibly unnerving and frightening experience. Fortunately, "extranjeros" foreigners are largely ignored as it is just easier for the cartels / gangs to prey on the locals.

There is no drug cartel violence affecting Cozumel. Will you please stop this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no drug cartel violence affecting Cozumel. Will you please stop this!

They are operating in Cozumel whether you choose to believe it or not. Here is a story which talks about the a fight between cartels in Quitan Roo.

http://encambiodiario.com/2017/11/pelea-de-carteles-en-quintana-roo-deja-287-muertos/

One of the statements refers to the leader of the Cancun Cartel being arrested for selling drugs and shaking down business for protection money in Cozumel.

"“Doña Lety” fue detenida el pasado 9 de agosto en el estado de Puebla imputada por narcomenudeo, cobro de derecho de piso y el ataque a antros en Cancún, Alfredo V. Bonfil, Tulum, Xel-Ha, Isla Mujeres y Cozumel."

Tourists are unlikely to experience anything related to these operations, but to say it doesn't exist is just not correct.

I noticed on my list of excursions for NCL there is a Chichen Itsa by Airplane Excursion. Pricey at $499/person, but that is one way to avoid the ferry.

It may be pricey, but you skip the grueling long bus ride, complete with the tour guide hustling souvenirs en route, instead of offering the history you've come to experience.

I booked - same operator, but for the same price get a Private tour, plus lunch, plus a cenote visit. 2 hours more.

They are operating in Cozumel whether you choose to believe it or not. Here is a story which talks about the a fight between cartels in Quitan Roo.

http://encambiodiario.com/2017/11/pelea-de-carteles-en-quintana-roo-deja-287-muertos/

One of the statements refers to the leader of the Cancun Cartel being arrested for selling drugs and shaking down business for protection money in Cozumel.

"“Doña Lety” fue detenida el pasado 9 de agosto en el estado de Puebla imputada por narcomenudeo, cobro de derecho de piso y el ataque a antros en Cancún, Alfredo V. Bonfil, Tulum, Xel-Ha, Isla Mujeres y Cozumel."

Tourists are unlikely to experience anything related to these operations, but to say it doesn't exist is just not correct.

I was on Cozumel and had been there for almost two weeks when that article was printed - I was also there for over two weeks after it's publication. There is no drug cartel violence on Cozumel.

That would be known by everyone on the island - especially the diver community there.

Quintana Roo is a large state of Mexico - drug violence has been known to occur in Cancun for years, but it has been to a lesser degree than those areas on the west coast of Mexico.

The brush you use is too broad and fearmongering does no one any good.

Edited by smokinmike

I was on Cozumel and had been there for almost two weeks when that article was printed - I was also there for over two weeks after it's publication. There is no drug cartel violence on Cozumel.

That would be known by everyone on the island - especially the diver community there.

Quintana Roo is a large state of Mexico - drug violence has been known to occur in Cancun for years, but it has been to a lesser degree than those areas on the west coast of Mexico.

The brush you use is too broad and fearmongering does no one any good.

I am glad you enjoyed your trips to Cozumel. To say that something doesn't exist because you haven't seen it or are likely to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Why would people pay protection money to the gangs if it not for the threat of violence?

I think our difference is only about the level of an activity and not its existence.

I am glad you enjoyed your trips to Cozumel. To say that something doesn't exist because you haven't seen it or are likely to see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Why would people pay protection money to the gangs if it not for the threat of violence?

I think our difference is only about the level of an activity and not its existence.

I am not going to sit here and argue with you endlessly - believe what you want, say what you want.

We have been going to Coz on extended land vacations - at different times of the year - for over ten years and have never heard of or witnessed any drug related violence or violence of any sort for that matter. We are divers and know other divers that live on the island and they aren't aware of any of this. I'm not even sure if there have been any homocides for that matter.

So, for me, that's it - that's what I've heard, that's what I've seen, that's what I know.

. . . and that is not from some newspaper article.

Ciao

I am not going to sit here and argue with you endlessly - believe what you want, say what you want.

We have been going to Coz on extended land vacations - at different times of the year - for over ten years and have never heard of or witnessed any drug related violence or violence of any sort for that matter. We are divers and know other divers that live on the island and they aren't aware of any of this. I'm not even sure if there have been any homocides for that matter.

So, for me, that's it - that's what I've heard, that's what I've seen, that's what I know.

. . . and that is not from some newspaper article.

Ciao

Adios might have been a more appropriate way to say goodbye in a Cozumel thread. I truly hope Cozumel remains the paradise for you that it seems. My experiences from many years (50+) of interacting with friends and family in Mexico tells me that what you see on the surface is not all that exists. This is in addition to reading Spanish language news. No problem agreeing to disagree.

OK, not fearmongering, I love Cozumel and think it is a great place for tourists to go and relax.

However, to say that there is no violence on the island from the gangs/cartels is foolish. While it is much worse in Cancun and Playa, and even there fairly rare, the violence has been in Cozumel for the last few years. Starting in 2009 with the first club homicide from a takeover fight that spread from Playa. For the most part the gangs are not going to go after tourists, they know were the income from the area is generated.

Again, NOT fearmongering. Cozumel is a great place, and probably safer than a lot of places in the city that you live in right now. But you do need to be aware that Cozumel of today is not the Cozumel of 20 years ago. Mexico's violence has been spreading as they have branched out from just drug trafficking. The Mexican police work very hard at controlling it, and despite a bad reputation overseas in the media, are some of the hardest working police in any country in their attempts to keep people safe.