Question on New Ship Itineraries

MistyRo76

I'm putting together a list of cruises for the hubby and I to choose from for 2019. I'm trying to include only cruises that we haven't done before (either new homeport, interesting new itinerary, etc.). I have done the Mexican Riviera out of LA once (many years ago), but he hasn't. I would like to include the Panarama options on the list. My question is when the first post the itineraries for the brand new ships are they immediately open for booking? Or do they publish them first and set a later date that they will begin taking bookings?

Also, what tends to be the best timing on pricing for a new ship? We booked the Vista about 18 months out from our cruise and she had been open for bookings for a while when we did book. I thought we got a pretty good deal for a brand new ship. Are prices high right out of the gate for new ships? Does there tend to be a dip after the first wave of bookings drops off? Never booked a brand new ship that soon after bookings open before.

thanks!

Remember that the Panorama sailings include the higher airfare to LAX. I would pick a southern Caribbean route that is eight days long that goes to Aruba on either the Magic or the Horizon. As a matter of fact, we already did by picking the end of summer cruise on the Horizon, leaving Saturday August 24, getting back on Sunday September 1, with the next day of course being Labor Day. Looking forward to our Havana cabin.

Remember that the Panorama sailings include the higher airfare to LAX. I would pick a southern Caribbean route that is eight days long that goes to Aruba on either the Magic or the Horizon. As a matter of fact, we already did by picking the end of summer cruise on the Horizon, leaving Saturday August 24, getting back on Sunday September 1, with the next day of course being Labor Day. Looking forward to our Havana cabin.

I see the OP is from Kentucky. Airfare from here to LAX isn’t always more expensive than Florida.

I'd be very interested to know the answer to the "Are bookings immediately open, upon schedules being released" question. As they have been so mysterious about how the ship is getting to it's home port, i.e. John Heald saying there's no transatlantic, but there is some kind of further announcement to come. I would want to peruse the inaugural schedule at leisure, without having to make a frantic quick decision, to get the cabin I want.

I see the OP is from Kentucky. Airfare from here to LAX isn’t always more expensive than Florida.

Also, who said anything about airfare. She may be driving to the port.

I remember prices being higher for the Vista and the "yet to be sailed" Horizon, but that may have been because they were Mediterranean Cruises at first, which don't get offered through Carnival except when a new ship is built.

Panarama, being that it is to start on the west coast, I think will be higher because it is a new ship that size and being offered to the west coast customers. They will be all over it.

Also, who said anything about airfare. She may be driving to the port.
I inferred that the OP, who is from Kentucky and had mentioned including Panorama sailings from Los Angeles would be flying and not driving to the west coast. I think that is a pretty safe assumption.

I'd be very interested to know the answer to the "Are bookings immediately open, upon schedules being released" question. As they have been so mysterious about how the ship is getting to it's home port, i.e. John Heald saying there's no transatlantic, but there is some kind of further announcement to come. I would want to peruse the inaugural schedule at leisure, without having to make a frantic quick decision, to get the cabin I want.

Ship has to go from Europe to west coast so would think they would want paying passengers for that route.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I don't want to have to make a quick decision right when the itineraries are released. It would be nice to have a week or two to look at the options and cruise dates and see what we want to do!

Last time I cruised out of LA, the airfare was actually very reasonable! I worked for the airline at the time and could have flown standby...but elected to buy tickets just to save the hassle. I think they were around $300 per person. And now that the Cincinnati airport has low cost carriers such as Frontier, Allegient and Southwest, the fares are even better! :)

Is it possible that the ship maybe made sea worthy in Europe, but without hotel interior fittings? It could be sailed through the Suez to Asia for final assembly. Then a trans-pacific to arrive at Long Beach with passengers.