First Royal Caribbean cruise with kids

So I just booked the Harmony of the Seas over 4th of July week and it will be my first cruise taking kids and I’m a little lost and have lots of questions! The kids have sailed on Disney before so they aren’t strangers to cruising, but it will be my first time taking kids on a cruise. It will be me, my fiancé and his two daughters (9 and 14) Here are some of my questions and thank you in advance for your help and guidance :)

• How do we stay in touch with the kids on the boat? The younger one will go to the kids club, but the older one probably won’t and I want to make sure she’s able to reach us whenever. On Disney they have an app where you can text one another without the internet, does Royal do something similar?
  • For the kids club, can we sign the kids up ahead of time or do we do it once on board?
  • We were assigned My Time Dining and when I booked the guy on the phone said we would never wait more than 15 minutes. The last time I sailed on Royal (over five years ago) I had this and if we didn’t make a reservation we could end up waiting hours for a table. Is there a way to book tins we’d like to eat now or do we wait until we are on the ship? Or will we really not have to wait when we show up?
  • I’ve never been on the huge ships Royal has, my last ship was Liberty of the Seas, which I thought was pretty huge at the time and I know Harmony is bigger. What’s a good way not to get overwhelmed by the size?
  • We have two balcony rooms booked overlooking the Boardwalk, will these be noisy because they are so close? Our rooms are the first row of balconies above. Should I change to a different part of the ship?
  • I’ve prebooked all the shows. When we get on the ship will there be something that has these listed out or tickets for everything? Just want to make sure if there isn’t I print out the itinerary.
  • Any other tips on things I might not have thought about?

Sorry for all the questions!

The only question I can answer is the kids club registration. In my experience you don't sign them up until you board. Once signed up you are free to drop your kids at the club anytime you want when they are open, but it can and will fill up. They only allow so many kids at a time in. The only time that really was a problem for us was on formal night after dinner when everyone dropped their kids off.

The only question I can answer is the kids club registration. In my experience you don't sign them up until you board. Once signed up you are free to drop your kids at the club anytime you want when they are open, but it can and will fill up. They only allow so many kids at a time in. The only time that really was a problem for us was on formal night after dinner when everyone dropped their kids off.

So we have to sign them in every day? We would probably bring the kids with us to dinner, but we did sign up for an adult only comedy show so we’d need them to go then. That show starts at 9 so should we drop them off way earlier to make sure there is room? I’m guessing there will be a lot of kids since it’s over 4th of July

I would encourage your 14 year old to go the first night to the meet and greet...my daughter always made friends that first night even though there was no scheduled activity per say. Seems like if that age doesn’t connect soon they wander around feeling unincluded. Royals kids and teen programs were the main reason we have stayed loyal to Royal.

So we have to sign them in every day? We would probably bring the kids with us to dinner, but we did sign up for an adult only comedy show so we’d need them to go then. That show starts at 9 so should we drop them off way earlier to make sure there is room? I’m guessing there will be a lot of kids since it’s over 4th of July

You register day 1, then bring them anytime you want to when they are open. If you want to guarantee that they will get in, you should bring them earlier than later. Formal nights on our cruise were the busiest in the kids club.

After the original sign in , I can’t remember the age but if you feel comfortable they allow the child to sign themselves in and out. We didn’t do this until ours were in middle school and always insisted on the buddy system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would encourage your 14 year old to go the first night to the meet and greet...my daughter always made friends that first night even though there was no scheduled activity per say. Seems like if that age doesn’t connect soon they wander around feeling unincluded. Royals kids and teen programs were the main reason we have stayed loyal to Royal.

Ya we are going to try and have her go on the first night. I read they have video games which she really likes so that might draw her in

After the original sign in , I can’t remember the age but if you feel comfortable they allow the child to sign themselves in and out. We didn’t do this until ours were in middle school and always insisted on the buddy system.

I think 9 is too young for signing out privileges, but the older one could.

Right now I have the water show booked at 8:30 on the first night. Should I change that to a different night so the kids will have time to go to the kids club or does the first meet and greet happen earlier in the day?

I know for us it was important for them to go to the first night To meet the workers and get a feeling for how it worked. Then we had no problems the rest of the week. I have a friend who took her four kids and didn’t make the older ones go to the informal get together the first night and they never participated all week. They never cruised again. You know you child better than anyone, mine needed to ease into the idea and they loved cruising. Sometimes we would have to make them spend time with us!

Right now I have the water show booked at 8:30 on the first night. Should I change that to a different night so the kids will have time to go to the kids club or does the first meet and greet happen earlier in the day?

The water shows are awesome. The whole family will enjoy and something unique to RC. I would not change your reservation. Occasionally the water show is canceled and rescheduled for later in the week - primarily because of sea or wind conditions. It is best to see it when you can.

I believe the meet and greet is an ongoing open house type of thing so you should be okay. Register the kids when you board. They should be able to tell you the meeting time. Personally would let the water show take precedent.

Don't worry about the size of the ship. The first thing you'll notice is it doesn't feel "that" big or overwhelming. And since it's laid out in simple "neighborhoods" - getting around the ship is as easy as can be.

The boardwalk isn't that noisy with the doors shut, and offers more "people watching" than other balcony cabins would. Plus you can watch the water shows from your balcony.

I know for us it was important for them to go to the first night To meet the workers and get a feeling for how it worked. Then we had no problems the rest of the week. I have a friend who took her four kids and didn’t make the older ones go to the informal get together the first night and they never participated all week. They never cruised again. You know you child better than anyone, mine needed to ease into the idea and they loved cruising. Sometimes we would have to make them spend time with us!

I know when I cruised as a teenager my parents never saw me I was always at the teens club. I’m going to encourage her to go, hopefully she’ll spend some time there on the cruise

The water shows are awesome. The whole family will enjoy and something unique to RC. I would not change your reservation. Occasionally the water show is canceled and rescheduled for later in the week - primarily because of sea or wind conditions. It is best to see it when you can.

I believe the meet and greet is an ongoing open house type of thing so you should be okay. Register the kids when you board. They should be able to tell you the meeting time. Personally would let the water show take precedent.

When will we be allowed to board the ship? On Disney they have specific times you can show up, is it the same with Royal? I think going to the clubs early on would be good so they can get a feel for them and the people there. Are the younger kids club close by the older teen one? Or are they on different parts of the ship?

Don't worry about the size of the ship. The first thing you'll notice is it doesn't feel "that" big or overwhelming. And since it's laid out in simple "neighborhoods" - getting around the ship is as easy as can be.

The boardwalk isn't that noisy with the doors shut, and offers more "people watching" than other balcony cabins would. Plus you can watch the water shows from your balcony.

The sales guy on the phone mentioned being able to watch the water show from our balcony so that’s pretty cool. And I know the kids will like people watching so that will be entertaining. That’s good to know the ship doesn’t feel too big and is easy to navigate

When I booked the guy mentioned that the soda package is included in this type of room. But I don’t see that listed anyone on my confirmation email. Is this standard for all boardwalk balcony rooms? Or should I call to double check we have this perk?

There isn’t signing in and out of the teen club, after you sign her up, you are done, it’s a place for teens to hang out, or just meet up.

When will we be allowed to board the ship? On Disney they have specific times you can show up, is it the same with Royal? I think going to the clubs early on would be good so they can get a feel for them and the people there. Are the younger kids club close by the older teen one? Or are they on different parts of the ship?

I have not sailed on the Harmony. On the Allure and Oasis (similar ships), suite guests and pinnacle Crown and Anchor members (RC's loyalty program) board first, followed by each tier of the C&A program), and then general boarding.

I don't think the Harmony will be any different than other ships and the kids' clubs are close together; usually on an upper deck. I think deck 13 or 14.

Personally I would call beforehand to verify the soda package. I would also have them email you what is included with your room and take a hard copy. Last cruise they didn’t have my OBC but I had my reservation that stated an OBC,spa treatment, and one specialty dining that travel agent had gifted. They had none of those down for our room had to stand in line a little while at guest services but it was handled quickly because I had the print out and they simply made a phone call to verify.

When we sailed Harmony, we got to the port at 10:00AM, we walked straight up to check-in then straight onto the ship around 10:20 or so. It all depends when they clear/open the ship up but they weren't boarding in groups since there was nobody there. Harmony is pretty well known for having an outstanding embarkation procedure. Just get there around 10AM and you will generally be on the ship pretty fast.

As for ship size, we brought my dad who can't walk very long distances. They were a little worried and I told them not to be. He was actually surprised at how little walking he had to do and how easy the ship was to navigate. Note that the ship isn't really much taller or longer than other big ships. It's wider. And ships aren't really that wide to begin with. So the walking is on par with just about any other cruise ship, maybe even less.

So I just booked the Harmony of the Seas over 4th of July week and it will be my first cruise taking kids and I’m a little lost and have lots of questions! The kids have sailed on Disney before so they aren’t strangers to cruising, but it will be my first time taking kids on a cruise. It will be me, my fiancé and his two daughters (9 and 14) Here are some of my questions and thank you in advance for your help and guidance :)

•  
  • How do we stay in touch with the kids on the boat? The younger one will go to the kids club, but the older one probably won’t and I want to make sure she’s able to reach us whenever. On Disney they have an app where you can text one another without the internet, does Royal do something similar?

• For the kids club, can we sign the kids up ahead of time or do we do it once on board?

• We were assigned My Time Dining and when I booked the guy on the phone said we would never wait more than 15 minutes. The last time I sailed on Royal (over five years ago) I had this and if we didn’t make a reservation we could end up waiting hours for a table. Is there a way to book tins we’d like to eat now or do we wait until we are on the ship? Or will we really not have to wait when we show up?

• I’ve never been on the huge ships Royal has, my last ship was Liberty of the Seas, which I thought was pretty huge at the time and I know Harmony is bigger. What’s a good way not to get overwhelmed by the size?

• We have two balcony rooms booked overlooking the Boardwalk, will these be noisy because they are so close? Our rooms are the first row of balconies above. Should I change to a different part of the ship?

• I’ve prebooked all the shows. When we get on the ship will there be something that has these listed out or tickets for everything? Just want to make sure if there isn’t I print out the itinerary.

If you can, cancel immediately and rebook with Disney. Far superior experience for families.

If that’s not an option, get out of my time dining immediately. It’s the worst. No matter what they tell you, you will wait. For a long time.

I don’t understand boardwalk balconies. You’re going on a cruise! Especially on oasis class you barely see the ocean. Get ocean view balconies.

Prebooking everything was smart.

In order to keep in touch, everyone should get the Royal IQ App. I believe its costs. 7.95 per family for the trip.

I personally prefer balconies facing the sea rather than interior balconies.

Definitely, make your dinner reservations in advance especially since its a holiday cruise. You may be able to do it through the cruise planner. if you dont see it, call RCL . Found this on the RCL website -

Ready to reserve? If you've reserved through a Certified Vacation Planner or on the web simply call (800) 590-6218 or email openseating@rccl.com (please include your reservation number and the number of guests in your party.)** If you've reserved through a travel agent please contact them directly.

If you can, cancel immediately and rebook with Disney. Far superior experience for families.

If that’s not an option, get out of my time dining immediately. It’s the worst. No matter what they tell you, you will wait. For a long time.

I don’t understand boardwalk balconies. You’re going on a cruise! Especially on oasis class you barely see the ocean. Get ocean view balconies.

Prebooking everything was smart.

You’re scaring me lol. I don’t think switching Disney will be an option. Are there not places where you can see the ocean?

You’re scaring me lol. I don’t think switching Disney will be an option. Are there not places where you can see the ocean?

Surprisingly the ocean is hard to find on that boat. Seriously get out of my time dining. It’s a disaster.

Surprisingly the ocean is hard to find on that boat. Seriously get out of my time dining. It’s a disaster.

If they put me in it doesn’t that mean the other times are full? I don’t see on the website anywhere to switch would I have to call?

If I can’t switch and I make reservations every night will it be okay?

The following is my experience:

Don't worry about MTD. Just go to the maitre'd when you board and reserve a dining time. You can pick the same time every night to start and change it later. The long lines are for people who show up without a reservation.

Stick with the RoyalIQ app for communications. Many buy cheap walkie talkies and find those a) don't work and 2) are annoying to those around you when they do.

Balcony boardwalk is a preference. Some don't like it, most do.

Best advice for dealing with the size of the ship is don't try and see everything at once. You'll find that events happen in various places over the cruise and you'll naturally figure out where things are as you go.

There are still lots of places where you can see the ocean. Pool deck and above is a good start, also lounges. If you signed up for Crown and Anchor after your previous cruise, you will also get an invite to the returning cruisers party.. Our was on the helipad. Great view of the ocean there.