Best Uses of On-Board Credit & Shore Excursion Questions

JIMinNC

First post here...we are on the Quest Sept 5, 2018 Barcelona to Civitavecchia, with stops in Valencia, Ibiza, Monte Carlo, Santa Margherita, & Livorno. This is our first Azamara cruise, our first cruise of any kind since a 2007 Disney Caribbean cruise with our kids, and our first cruise as a couple since a Bahamas cruise on Carnival back in the 1980s!

We are in a Club Ocean Suite. We should have $1800 in OBC, and trying to figure out how to best use it. Shore excursions are the most obvious answer, but I had some questions.

1) Any comments on the Azamara excursions...are they good and worth the price? We have enough credit to do one in every port, but should we? We've never been tour bus people, but we're also new to Europe and these locations, so a group tour might be beneficial, but we don't want to feel like we're being herded around like we saw some cruise groups when we were in Los Cabos, Mexico last month for a five day getaway trip.

2) Does Azamara use motorcoach-type buses or smaller buses?

3) Any tips on any of the ports of call?

4) If we elect to do some independent exploring or external tours, what are the other things on-board that the OBC is a good use for?

5) We get the speciality restaurants included, but we will probably have wine most nights at dinner, so that will be one possible OBC use. The beverage packages would be another, but we're undecided whether we would drink enough of the premium drinks to warrant the cost of the package or just pay as we go for upgraded drinks.

6) Any other tips for a first-time Azamara Mediterranean cruiser?

Firstly, the type of buses used depends on the port and the local tour company used. We have done excursions in full sized buses and in mini-buses. They are, however, rarely full. Azamara say they put no more than 25 in a group (I.e. on a bus), but depending on the popularity of the tour there may be more than one group. Each group would have its own guide.

As to how good they are - again they vary. We have done some great ones and some poor ones. We can’t comment on tours in Europe because so far we haven’t done a cruise in Europe ( we have one booked for a July).

You can use your OBC for WiFi if you don’t have it included.

As well as the speciality restaurant there is also the Chef’s Table https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/chefs-table.

Azamara also usually offer an Indonesian Rifstaffel (Ricetable) which is $25 a head.

You could also buy Spa treatments and use the BeautySalon.

The Jewellery shop has some nice jewellery and watches too.

I’m sure you will love the Azamara experience. We found Azamara in 2013 and have done 6 cruises with them so far, and have another 2 booked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good use of the $1800 might be to switch $1400 into the indulgence package.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/experience-more-packages

That gives you a great value combination of land Discoveries, spa, Internet, chefs table, even smatter drinks. You might find this an easier option and less commitment to Land Discoveries

The shops onboard are not that great I wouldn’t bank on spending much there there are only so many watches or sunglasses I can use

The shops onboard are not that great I wouldn’t bank on spending much there there are only so many watches or sunglasses I can use

I agree about watches, but my husband doesn’t - he says he can never have too many watches! [emoji6]

Good use of the $1800 might be to switch $1400 into the indulgence package.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/experience-more-packages

That gives you a great value combination of land Discoveries, spa, Internet, chefs table, even smatter drinks. You might find this an easier option and less commitment to Land Discoveries

I meant to say you will also pick up slightly nicer wines this way - of course you can still buy bottles but the Ultimate Beverage package includes some slightly better wines

You didn't mention where the OBC's are coming from. If they are from your TA, they are most likely refundable. This means that you don't need to spend them. At the end of the cruise, they will be credited back to your credit card. When you view your onboard account, refundable credits will have an R next to them, nonrefundable ones will be marked NR ( I know - makes sense!). We always get OBC's from our TA which are always refundable. Sometimes we spend them, sometimes we don't and just get a credit applied to our card.

I agree with Host Grandma... we have had some fabulous excursions on AZ and some that were not very good. In Europe we have found that it's much better to book a private excursion. The guides and companies live and breath for their reviews on various travel sites and, because of that, we have always had terrific experiences. September is a nice time to go as well. Also, your roll call may provide some opportunities to share private excursions with other people on your cruise. We have made lifelong friends meeting people on some of these trips (we are sailing with 4 of them on our upcoming Singapore cruise).

Enjoy your trip. We are getting ready for our 11th AZ trip and have another booked. You can't beat the onboard experience!

Sue

I don't have answers but can add some insight. We're in a similar situation (May 15 Med cruise) in that we're never been to Europe and are used to luxury trips in Mexico and the islands, so we never dreamed of venturing out solo in those locales. Since I'm not sure I will return to these areas of Europe, I want to see what I want to see, and I don't want to be on a shopping stroll. Az Tours isn't clear whether they include tickets to the attractions and so they say, in Rome, for example, if the tour guide deems the line too long you'll only see the outside of the Colosseum. Huh? What? are you kidding? Don't take their tours even if they are free, imho, if some sights are important to you. I found Rick Steves on YouTube and am getting more comfortable with the idea of venturing on our own or using local vendors. His book on Med Ports is excellent as his travel forum on his website.

You didn't mention where the OBC's are coming from. If they are from your TA, they are most likely refundable. This means that you don't need to spend them. At the end of the cruise, they will be credited back to your credit card. When you view your onboard account, refundable credits will have an R next to them, nonrefundable ones will be marked NR ( I know - makes sense!). We always get OBC's from our TA which are always refundable. Sometimes we spend them, sometimes we don't and just get a credit applied to our card.

I agree with Host Grandma... we have had some fabulous excursions on AZ and some that were not very good. In Europe we have found that it's much better to book a private excursion. The guides and companies live and breath for their reviews on various travel sites and, because of that, we have always had terrific experiences. September is a nice time to go as well. Also, your roll call may provide some opportunities to share private excursions with other people on your cruise. We have made lifelong friends meeting people on some of these trips (we are sailing with 4 of them on our upcoming Singapore cruise).

Enjoy your trip. We are getting ready for our 11th AZ trip and have another booked. You can't beat the onboard experience!

Sue

Only $200 of our onboard credit is from our TA, the remaining $1600 is from Azamara (early booking + suite promotion) so from what I've read here, that is probably non-refundable. Do you have to wait until you are on board to view the OBC, or can you view your on-board account anywhere prior to sailing on My Azamara? If so, I haven't found it.

Only $200 of our onboard credit is from our TA, the remaining $1600 is from Azamara (early booking + suite promotion) so from what I've read here, that is probably non-refundable. Do you have to wait until you are on board to view the OBC, or can you view your on-board account anywhere prior to sailing on My Azamara? If so, I haven't found it.

You cannot view it on your onboard account but you should be able to see it on any invoices, assuming your travel agent passes these to you. There is a separate box showing onboard credit towards the bottom of the first page. It usually only shows the Azamara credit unless it is issued just immediately before you sail as agents often do not buy that credit until the last minute

In many European ports a stroll from the Quay on your own 8s an experience and a local bus or train a great way of seeing a town. Rome is quite a long way from the dock but in other place there are some fantastic places to see strolling round the town and sitting in a cafe people watching or walking round the local.market. excursions are often in large coaches with more than 25 passenger and someone is late back and holds you up!

JIMinNC

Good questions. Anxious to hear the responses. We too are on your cruise with B2B Barcelona to Checevichea and then on to Venice with lots of OBC. First time to those ports and have been reading Rick Steves books on Italy and his Mediteranian cruise ports book with great tips and independent tours.

Also not much for bus tours and prefer to tour on our own or arrange with one or two other couples with similar interests to share private tours.

JIMinFL

I don't have answers but can add some insight. We're in a similar situation (May 15 Med cruise) in that we're never been to Europe and are used to luxury trips in Mexico and the islands, so we never dreamed of venturing out solo in those locales. Since I'm not sure I will return to these areas of Europe, I want to see what I want to see, and I don't want to be on a shopping stroll. Az Tours isn't clear whether they include tickets to the attractions and so they say, in Rome, for example, if the tour guide deems the line too long you'll only see the outside of the Colosseum. Huh? What? are you kidding? Don't take their tours even if they are free, imho, if some sights are important to you. I found Rick Steves on YouTube and am getting more comfortable with the idea of venturing on our own or using local vendors. His book on Med Ports is excellent as his travel forum on his website.

The Rick Steves app for you mobile phone is a great tool, you can download his free walking tours for lots of European sites and so have the benefit of "almost" guidance.

You cannot view it on your onboard account but you should be able to see it on any invoices, assuming your travel agent passes these to you. There is a separate box showing onboard credit towards the bottom of the first page. It usually only shows the Azamara credit unless it is issued just immediately before you sail as agents often do not buy that credit until the last minute

I have a question if I may ask, I will be on the Azamara Quest next March and wondering how and when can you start pre-booking excursions in each port ? Also wondering if I can use my Celebrity Captains Club recognition for extra benefits?

Anything will be helpful, my first time with this cruise line. Thanks in advance

You can start booking excursions as soon as they are available on your Voyage Planner. You can find this through the Azamara website. At the very bottom of the page under ‘Booked’ is a link to ‘My Voyage Planner’ (here’s the link https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/book-shore-excursions ).

Simply put in your Azamara booking reference number, name, ship and sail date.

Your Celebrity Captains Club number is also your Azamara Le Club Voyage number. Make sure it is registered on your booking and you will have the appropriate benefits. The equivalent levels are

Celebrity. Azamara

Classic. Adventurer

Select Explorer

Elite. Discoverer

Elite Plus. Discoverer Plus

Zenith. Dis oversee Platinum

To see the benefits for your level look on the Azamara website, again at the bottom, there is a link to Le Club Voyage and to how to enrol.