Solarium - Covered or open?

Hi,

Looking ahead to Feb 2019 and a Caribbean cruise. Can anyone please tell me what ships or class of ships have closed in solariums.

We love the space on the Radiance class ships because it is covered. My DH has "filled his bucked" for sun exposure (according to his dermatologist, so the covered pool is fabulous.

What other ships have this feature. I just saw pictures of the Freedom and it looks like the pool is open with no roof.

Thanks

We are on the Jewel in a few weeks for the second time.

I loved the ship but did not like that the roof was always closed. It seemed counter-intuitive to be in the Carribean on a sunny day and be at an indoor pool with air conditioning on. The solarium is a lovely adult only area with nice padded chairs, just wish it were in the sun!!

For those of us with skin cancer issues even indirect sun is an issue. Not everyone wants to bake in the sun and end up looking like a dried prune. The closed roof is a big plus for many cruisers.

For those of us with skin cancer issues even indirect sun is an issue. Not everyone wants to bake in the sun and end up looking like a dried prune. The closed roof is a big plus for many cruisers.

Wow!! Attitude

Your comment makes little sense - makes me wonder how much time you have spent in the solarium! There are so many seats/loungers along the side areas of the solarium - a few steps away from the pool - and yet permanently in the shade. Some are by windows with sliding glass for a breeze. The area is also air conditioned.

If you choose to sit in the sun - either with the open roof or with the sun beating through the closed glass - that's a personal choice. There are plenty of areas in total shade.

I am very fair skinned and use mega sunblock; blessed not to have to deal with sun cancer issues, however, I like the roof open not for the sun but for the fresh air. I do not bake in the sun. Just enjoy a dip in the pool every so often to cool off.

Wow!! Attitude

Not attitude. Just observations from living in Florida since 1961. Have skin cancer surgery appointment (again) next week. Check out the Atlantic and Gulf coast beaches and you will see what I was talking about.

Just to add to my original post. With the closed roof my DH can actually hang out in the water and sit near/beside the pool.

That is the point to this thread. It also creates a more intimate setting. You can have the sun at the main pool.

What is the use of the open roof if he has to hide in the corner. He is a golfer, over 60. Lots of sun has been enjoyed. He now has to be careful. We all do.

As a teenager, I never had to worry about sun exposure but the sun's rays are more harmful now. Wear a hat, wear sunscreen, wear sunglasses. Make sure your children and grandchildren do also.

Sermon over.

I must not be following correctly. Is the glass on the solarium roof UV protectant? I'm thinking the sun exposure in the solarium would be equally as bad in the open air pool, so it wouldn't really matter which pool you are in if you have skin issues.

I was wondering is there an app that can remotely open and close the Solarium Roof that a Staffmember can use?

I love the Solarium being able to relax even during cold weather on those padded chairs. So nice to have the Park Cafe on most ships to get something to eat.

Several years ago was seated at the staff captain's table for dinner. Not sure if they even have that table any more it was a table for 8 and we were joined each evening by the staff captain and/or another officer.

A lady at the table asked why in the Caribbean the roof in solarium was closed. He said that it was primarily left up to the bridge officer. If no one requested it to be opened, then they left it closed. The following day it was open. At dinner he asked if we had noticed - said he had opened it - not a big deal and was happy to oblige. He said in the future if we ever had a question to ask a senior officer or ask at guest services - he did say to ask a senior staff member to make sure it was done.

Umm okay. I have skin cancer issues and my husband is a red head. Never once worried about the shaded area of an open air solarium. A closed roof does not cut off the sun either. You still get baked. In a sauna since it also retains all the humidity

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...