How long is too long?

rheins65

I start getting tired of the food by the 8th night...even with all the choices on most ships, it all seems to take on a "sameness", to me. I don't think I'd do any longer than a 10 nighter....

I feel the same way...we did a 14 night and by day 10 we were ready to pack up. We're doing a 9 night this summer and I think that will be perfect.

Entertainment is truly an issue on a longer cruise..especially on the mass market lines where folks expect production shows. The Production Show cast is generally trained to do up to 4 different performances for which their ship has the proper costumes, scenery, etc. This becomes a problem. On a medium length Oosterdam transpacific cruise or 36 days, their were 4 production shows. At one point the cast went nearly 2 weeks without doing a single performance (one of the singers told us he was totally bored). The cruise lines do try to adjust by bringing aboard more "Guest Entertainers" who will often perform 2 (or even 3) shows during their time onboard.

Those of us who routinely take long voyages understand the entertainment situation. This is not like a 7 night Oasis of the Seas cruise where there is all kinds of entertainment options. It is just not possible. HAL is soon going to try a new concept they call "EXP" cruises on which there will not be any production shows. Instead they intend to provide more locally-based entertainment (at their far flung ports), more cultural things, lectures, etc. The reality is that long cruises cannot be operated in the same way as a short cruise (2 weeks or less). And its not just entertainment. The dining menus also take a lot of innovation. On one long 62 day Prinsendam ship the Executive Chef varied the menu so that we never had the same exact menu more then once on the two month voyage. Menu items were certainly repeated, but the overall menus were varied.

Doing a long voyage is not for everyone. A large majority of the passengers on these voyages have been cruising for years (many have more time on ships then some of the crew) and understand the pros and cons. DW and I love the long voyages, and when we once had 9 straight sea days it was like heaven :). For uys its about lots of relaxation, reading, socializing, and sometimes going to a lecture, movie, cooking class, etc. Others will spend many of their days are part of a knitting or sewing group, play bridge, maj jong, etc. I would not generally recommend this type of long cruise for those who have a Type A Personality. One fellow cruiser once said to me that "if somebody has to ask what to do on lots of sea days" they are probably not the type that is going to enjoy sea days. DW and I always have over 100 unread books on our Kindles which is enough for any cruise :).

Hank

I agree, we will be on the Maasdam for a EXP cruise next year and it doesn't worry me at all that there would be no production shows.

Someone once said, that you are not truly free until the kids have moved out and the dog has passed.[/quote

Mic, we never went for more than a fortnight when our border collie was alive- she stayed with friends- and then we started taking a month away. I doubt we'll have another pet now, which is strange as we've always had one or two around, until our longer cruising days are over.

Mic, we never went for more than a fortnight when our border collie was alive- she stayed with friends- and then we started taking a month away. I doubt we'll have another pet now, which is strange as we've always had one or two around, until our longer cruising days are over.

At first we found it hard to replace our dog because he was such a character and then we realised the freedom so no pets until our travelling for months are over.:D

On the subject of dogs...we lost our last dog in 2012 at age 13. From 1994 forward we (well I) had adopted 7 retired greyhounds. The most we had at one time was 4, which was perfect, plus I would foster from time to time. Teddy was the last I adopted and the last to pass. I miss them, but I decided I needed a period in my life when I wasn't responsible for another living being.

Well there is DH, but I'm not responsible for him. :D

We took our first cruise in 2013, Sydney to Honolulu. I was hooked before we left the dock. We got a late start but we are catching up.

Starting in December 2018 we have put together a kind of interesting series of voyages. There will be a lot of sea days, but we like sea days. We don't need to be busy. We both read a lot, and I love watching the horizon and the beautiful sea.

I feel the same way...we did a 14 night and by day 10 we were ready to pack up. We're doing a 9 night this summer and I think that will be perfect.

Quite the way opposite here. First cruise back in the day was four days. Loved it. Then we did seven days for a couple of years. Our first ten day was fantastic. At day seven we had three more days. Never ever did another seven day. Now ten is the lowest, 11-14 our target.

That said I question whether we could ever do a 20 day much less one of these 60 day round the world

Wow, I feel like I haven't cruised at all compared to some of the cruise lengths previously mentioned. Longest cruise for me has been a mere 18 days! I prefer, however, 10 - 12 day cruises and I'm not one who needs to be entertained all the time. I actually enjoy sitting on the balcony reading or just enjoying the ocean. On the other hand, I had a friend with me, last December, on just a 9 days cruise. By day 7 he was ready to jump overboard and swim back to FL because he was "bored" and missed his dogs! So, it just goes to show that we're all different and luckily the cruise lines give one the option of many days on a cruise, or just a few. :)