How long is too long?

rheins65

We did cruises in Australia and around NZ last year, plus some extra days in Sydney, for a total of 35 days. In April we will take a 27-day TA/BI cruise, then spend a week in London, so another 35 days. I think this is about as long as we can go. I hate leaving our dog for so long, as others have also noted. Maybe someday if we don't have a dog, but I don't see that happening for awhile :D

We have been on a good number of 7 night cruises (all Caribbean), thinking we want to try something a good bit longer. What are the thoughts on cruises that are 15-20 nights long?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love them! I think anything over a month would be too long for me. The longest cruise I've been on has been 3 weeks, and I was just starting to get the feeling that I was wanting to be home.....I miss cooking in my kitchen and sleeping in my own bed. My guess is my max would be 4 weeks or so.

Our minimum is 14 days, unless we are doing a shorter cruise as part of a longer land trip. Our longest so far has been 74 days - it was WONDERFUL!!! - and most have been around 30 days. We've also done lots of b2b cruises. And - we're doing a full WC in 2019 - 114 days! Can't wait!

Having said that ... on some of those longer cruises, you can tell when someone has hit the wall and just wants to go home. It might be your SO, another relative, a friend, a new cruise friend, or just another cruiser ... but you can just tell. They'll be fine the next day ... and it will be someone else's turn!

I don't know what would be too long for me, but I'd surely like to find out.

Yeah the longest I have done has been 30 nights with a B2B Transpacific, all different ports. Could have stayed on. I think a 54 day half world cruise may be the next step up in length.

We did cruises in Australia and around NZ last year, plus some extra days in Sydney, for a total of 35 days. In April we will take a 27-day TA/BI cruise, then spend a week in London, so another 35 days. I think this is about as long as we can go. I hate leaving our dog for so long, as others have also noted. Maybe someday if we don't have a dog, but I don't see that happening for awhile :D

Someone once said, that you are not truly free until the kids have moved out and the dog has passed.

Our longest cruise to date was 12 nights long. We added five nights before the cruise, making it a 17-day vacation. That was about long enough for us to be away from our mothers. I have a brother in town who can look in on our mother, but DH is an only child. His mother is in an independent living arrangement in a senior complex--so we know she will have care if anything happens while we're gone. But DH feels guilty if he stays away too long.

Someone once said, that you are not truly free until the kids have moved out and the dog has passed.

All so true. We do love dogs, but we also love world travel...and the two do not mix. So it will be a few years until we get another dog.

Hank

All so true. We do love dogs, but we also love world travel...and the two do not mix. So it will be a few years until we get another dog.

Hank

Likewise, our longer travels started when our son moved out (our dog had already passed) and we said we would not get another pet until we had seen an end to long haul flights to Europe or the US and having 6-8 weeks away. Grandkids may change that scenario though.:D

Hank

I started planning 30 plus years ago, had a daughter, bought her up to also love dogs, she cares for Maxy for us.

In 2014 someone was talking about a long cruise (about 30 days) I said I wasn’t sure if I could do that long. 2015 did 33 nights, next year doing 35 nights, hoping they offer the 77 night circle Pacific again while I’m well enough to do it.

Edited by GUT2407

In201 someone was talking about a long cruise (about 30 days) I said I wasn’t sure if I could do that long. 2015 did 33 nights, next year doing 35 nights, hoping they offer the 77 night circle Pacific again while I’m well enough to do it.

I hope you can as well.:D

We have been on a good number of 7 night cruises (all Caribbean), thinking we want to try something a good bit longer. What are the thoughts on cruises that are 15-20 nights long?

It is a great opportunity to meet people and make friends; get to know your waiters and stewards. Play games on sea days; and let your hair down and sing on karaoke night!

It is a great opportunity to meet people and make friends; get to know your waiters and stewards. Play games on sea days; and let your hair down and sing on karaoke night!

I was in agreement until you mentioned karaoke.;p

Anything over 30 nights would be too long, unless you are retired. There may not be enough entertainment or activities for so many sea days.

For.me, It all depends on the cost per day. If a long cruise is available at a low cost per day (after adding airfare and visa costs), I will go for it!

Though I wonder how many different production shows would be there on a long cruise. The last 14 night Celebrity cruise had only 3 grand production shows. The remaining 11 nights had only singers 1 juggler, 1 pianist and 1 Acrobatic show.

Edited by drsel

Anything over 30 nights would be too long, unless you are retired. There may not be enough entertainment or activities for so many sea days.

Different strokes for different folks.....I almost never go to the evening entertainment performances, even on stretches of 10 or 15 sea days. They're just not my thing. The only one I've gone to was because the performers had been seated at our dinner table, and I'd met them and liked them.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I've learned that my limit on a cruise ship is about 12 days. That might change as I get older but for now, 12 days is about the point I've had enough with the crowds, routine and food.

My longest cruise so far was 21 nights. I was gone 31 days in total with pre and post cruise travel. Honestly, I was away from my dogs for too long. Otherwise I absolutely loved it.

Right now, 2 weeks away is my sweet spot. For any sort of trip. Longer than that is too long for the dogs. Shorter, and I have to go home just when I'm hitting my vacation groove.

For.me, It all depends on the cost per day. If a long cruise is available at a low cost per day (after adding airfare and visa costs), I will go for it!

Though I wonder how many different production shows would be there on a long cruise. The last 14 night Celebrity cruise had only 3 grand production shows. The remaining 11 nights had only singers 1 juggler, 1 pianist and 1 Acrobatic show.

Entertainment is truly an issue on a longer cruise..especially on the mass market lines where folks expect production shows. The Production Show cast is generally trained to do up to 4 different performances for which their ship has the proper costumes, scenery, etc. This becomes a problem. On a medium length Oosterdam transpacific cruise or 36 days, their were 4 production shows. At one point the cast went nearly 2 weeks without doing a single performance (one of the singers told us he was totally bored). The cruise lines do try to adjust by bringing aboard more "Guest Entertainers" who will often perform 2 (or even 3) shows during their time onboard.

Those of us who routinely take long voyages understand the entertainment situation. This is not like a 7 night Oasis of the Seas cruise where there is all kinds of entertainment options. It is just not possible. HAL is soon going to try a new concept they call "EXP" cruises on which there will not be any production shows. Instead they intend to provide more locally-based entertainment (at their far flung ports), more cultural things, lectures, etc. The reality is that long cruises cannot be operated in the same way as a short cruise (2 weeks or less). And its not just entertainment. The dining menus also take a lot of innovation. On one long 62 day Prinsendam ship the Executive Chef varied the menu so that we never had the same exact menu more then once on the two month voyage. Menu items were certainly repeated, but the overall menus were varied.

Doing a long voyage is not for everyone. A large majority of the passengers on these voyages have been cruising for years (many have more time on ships then some of the crew) and understand the pros and cons. DW and I love the long voyages, and when we once had 9 straight sea days it was like heaven :). For uys its about lots of relaxation, reading, socializing, and sometimes going to a lecture, movie, cooking class, etc. Others will spend many of their days are part of a knitting or sewing group, play bridge, maj jong, etc. I would not generally recommend this type of long cruise for those who have a Type A Personality. One fellow cruiser once said to me that "if somebody has to ask what to do on lots of sea days" they are probably not the type that is going to enjoy sea days. DW and I always have over 100 unread books on our Kindles which is enough for any cruise :).

Hank

IMO. there is no such thing as too long. My dream, if it fit my budge,t would be a world cruise (100+ days).

So far my highest number of consecutive days has been 35 days, and I would have happily stayed on for at least one more cruise. I am NEVER ready to get off!

We prefer the longer cruises. Have taken b2b's for 28 and 33 days. Currently booked on April 18 day cruise and another 18 days in December.