Cruising New England/Canada

Bibi14

They usually sail from Baltimore, Boston and NY. I don't know which I would like to do more, a cruise or a land trip. I think there is also some one way cruises from NY ending in Quebec and then 1 back to NY. I know Celebrity and RCCL do them. Not sure about others. Def on my bucket list...

They usually sail from Baltimore, Boston and NY. I don't know which I would like to do more, a cruise or a land trip. I think there is also some one way cruises from NY ending in Quebec and then 1 back to NY. I know Celebrity and RCCL do them. Not sure about others. Def on my bucket list...

HAL has 2 ships doing Montreal to Boston and back and forth in alternating weekends almost all through the summer.

If you are only going to cruise New England/Canada one time, I would strongly recommend doing one that goes all the way to Quebec, either one way or round trip, rather than just to Nova Scotia.

There are several options to choose from...on several different lines, especially during the "foliage season", in September and October....

Going all the way to Montreal is limited to only smaller to midsize ships, due to navigational limitations. There are no limits on going to Quebec City. You can find many one way, or back to back cruises going there. There are also a few round trip cruises, such as the 14 day Celebrity Summit one from Cape Liberty, NJ.

I see that you (the OP) are from Miami....

Another option would be to take a repositioning cruise from Florida to Canada in the Spring, or a return at the end of the fall season, and fly the other way....there are only a couple northbound, but lots southbound at the end of the season to choose from on several different cruise lines...

march 10,2018

Hello everyone can’t wait to learn about your experiences/ suggestions.

Bibi

Miami, Fl:D

We have done 2 New England cruises, one on Carnival out of Boston and one on NCL out of NY. Cruise lines really don't make that much difference if you are inquiring about experiences.

We went, both times, late summer. On our Carnival cruise, almost the entire cruise was done in a fog bank. Gosh, if I close my eyes, I can still hear that fog horn going off every 5 minutes. :D:D:D

Just some info, I prefer Bar Harbor to Portland, in Maine, much more interesting and Acadia National Park is great.

Halifax is nice--try to get to Peggy's Cove and the Fortress in Halifax proper.

We went to Sydney and for us, not a great place to visit, Prince Edward Island would have been much better.

St John's was great if you can get there at low tide and walk on the sea bottom thru the caves. If not, nice scenery though. We found the reversing rapids a complete waste of time.

It is a great change from the Caribbean and would do it again in a flash.

Cheers

Len

I've never been but I'm going in 2019! I've got a solo balcony room booked on a cruise that a few other solo-traveling friends are also on. I'm doing it back-to-back with Bermuda, er, probably. I have to figure out how vacation time looks. For now, though, I have it booked B2B with the same solo balcony both times. I believe I have the itinerary that hits up Quebec as well, I'd love to see the old city!

We have done 2 New England cruises, one on Carnival out of Boston and one on NCL out of NY. Cruise lines really don't make that much difference if you are inquiring about experiences.

We went, both times, late summer. On our Carnival cruise, almost the entire cruise was done in a fog bank. Gosh, if I close my eyes, I can still hear that fog horn going off every 5 minutes. :D:D:D

Just some info, I prefer Bar Harbor to Portland, in Maine, much more interesting and Acadia National Park is great.

Halifax is nice--try to get to Peggy's Cove and the Fortress in Halifax proper.

We went to Sydney and for us, not a great place to visit, Prince Edward Island would have been much better.

St John's was great if you can get there at low tide and walk on the sea bottom thru the caves. If not, nice scenery though. We found the reversing rapids a complete waste of time.

It is a great change from the Caribbean and would do it again in a flash.

Cheers

Len

I think you meant to say "Saint John", which is in New Brunswick, and not "St. John's", which is at the east end of Newfoundland. These two are frequently confused.

Many cruises to Nova Scotia and Quebec call at Saint John, but very few cruises, mostly transatlantic, call at St. John's....

Usually, the cruises continuing to Quebec, will call at Sydney, NB, Charlottetown, PEI, occasionally Corner Brook, NL, and some other St. Lawrence ports. The Nova Scotia cruises will only go as far as Halifax, usually...

We took a 10 day cruise starting in Quebec and ending in Cape Liberty, NJ on RC in Sept 2013. We loved it! The weather was unseasonably warm that year so the colors were late and not as vibrant but we were able to wear shorts the majority of the trip. Ship overnited in Quebec which was wonderful. The only port that did not impress me was Cornerbrook, Newfoundland. Loved visiting Halifax and Prince Edward Island.

I would like to take another Canadian cruise at some point. We did not get to Sydney, Nova Scotia or St John, New Brunswick so those would be my next choices.