Havana "bar hopping" - middle aged style! ;)

cpayne

Our trip is not until March 2019. Sorry...I'm an advanced planner! Hoping someone else tries the itinerary before us and reports back!

Cheri,

We Are going in July and plan to use your bar hop tour. I appreciate your hard wotk to put it together. Hope you dont nid me passing it on to some other fellow cruisers! I will let you know how it goes. Thank you!!! Dawn

Cheri,

We Are going in July and plan to use your bar hop tour. I appreciate your hard wotk to put it together. Hope you dont nid me passing it on to some other fellow cruisers! I will let you know how it goes. Thank you!!! Dawn

I did the “pre cruise” research. Now it’s up to you to test the theories for me. Find the kinks in my plan and be my guinea pig to see how well my research actually pans out! 😉. Just be sure to report back so we can learn from your onsite research! Thanks for taking my plan on a test drive!

I did the “pre cruise” research. Now it’s up to you to test the theories for me. Find the kinks in my plan and be my guinea pig to see how well my research actually pans out! 😉. Just be sure to report back so we can learn from your onsite research! Thanks for taking my plan on a test drive!

Cheri,

I usually get on cruise critic on my phone. Wow....what typos!!!!!! Today I am at my computer. So much easier to navigate , read and post!!....lol. I will be sure to report back after our trip in July. Your plan looks easy to follow. Also....Your screen shots of google maps helped me tremendously . Now it is just a matter of figuring out how to save the places. Thanks again! Dawn

We’re off mid May 2018.

Will report back on our bar hopping adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be watching for your review, we go in late September 2018. I will post something also when we return, for you real early planners.

• 1 month later...
We’re off mid May 2018.

Will report back on our bar hopping adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to your trip report. We travel in July and are planning on trying out the bar hop tour. Hope to hear your tips and advice! Dawn

We have an overnight in Havana during our March 2019 Cuba cruise. We are not interested in a scheduled show such as the Tropicana. Looking more to take in several local bars with music, dancing, etc.... Sample some mojitos, watch some salsa dancing, listen to some jazz music, etc. Looking to not go where everyone else is such as Hemingways. We'd like to sample several different places to take in the atmosphere/ambiance.

Saw the Strawberry Tours Free Walking Tour - Havana Nightlife. It goes to 5 different locations. Anyone know what those are besides Hemingways?

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be within walking distance of the cruise ship necessarily. Thinking we could take a Coco cab which is something we want to do anyway!

Thanks.

We went bar hopping a d dining during our overnight earlier this month. No clue as to names though; my travel companion kept a journal with all the info. I just enjoyed the beer and the nighttime walk.

We went bar hopping a d dining during our overnight earlier this month. No clue as to names though; my travel companion kept a journal with all the info. I just enjoyed the beer and the nighttime walk.

That is likely what we will end up doing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Any updates?

We sail in 7 days and trying to work this one out

Especially with safety in mind.

We will be a group of 55,54,25,22

I am not one for a long night--and yet don't know if I will sleep not knowing if the 25 and 22 got back on the ship before we sail away!!;p;p

Any updates?

We sail in 7 days and trying to work this one out

Especially with safety in mind.

We will be a group of 55,54,25,22

I am not one for a long night--and yet don't know if I will sleep not knowing if the 25 and 22 got back on the ship before we sail away!!;p;p

I have heard it is very safe. We are staring out with dinner at El Del French and then a bar hop from there. We leave today. I will leave a review before you leave. Everything is close to the port.

I have heard it is very safe. We are staring out with dinner at El Del French and then a bar hop from there. We leave today. I will leave a review before you leave. Everything is close to the port.

Have a great cruise Dawn.

Looking fwd to it here as well

Cheers

BTW - Whats the going rate $/CUC for a drink... mojito, a rum w lime?

We are a party of 4 and I am thinking that multiple stops X 4 adds up. Want to be sure we have the CUC on hand

At tourist bars, drinks run about 6 CUC each.

Thanks. You have been very helpful and it is MUCH appreciated. We speak Italian not Spanish so trying to get a real lay of the land before we head over.

Does this list look reasonable for expenses? We are a party of 4 adults

Tour 130 not inclusive of tip. (130 + 30 tip)

Revolucion museum? 10 per person (40)

Lunch 20 per person (80 (+ guide 20+ driver 20)

Dinner 40 per person (160 + ?)

Do we need extra for Drinks with dinner and tip (6cuc per drink x 4) = ?

Bar crawl 40 per person (tip) (160)

Water/Gatorade/drinks 5-10 per person (40)

random cab rides 15 a go (45) (one to dinner restaurant on water in Miramar

cigars (250)

Straw market? (50)

Rum 10-20-30 per bottle 1 per person/or 2... (80-160)

Some/most items look a bit high, but better to have more cash than less. I suspect the one thing that is low are the taxi rides, especially any after dark, especially from/to the pier. The taxi drivers know who you are and know they've gotcha.

Note: Some of my Cuban friends get very upset when I tip at restaurants what I am used to tipping in the US. They will even snatch back some of the money when my back is turned and give it back to me outside! We are driving up the market unnecessarily, they claim.

Some/most items look a bit high, but better to have more cash than less. I suspect the one thing that is low are the taxi rides, especially any after dark, especially from/to the pier. The taxi drivers know who you are and know they've gotcha.

Note: Some of my Cuban friends get very upset when I tip at restaurants what I am used to tipping in the US. They will even snatch back some of the money when my back is turned and give it back to me outside! We are driving up the market unnecessarily, they claim.

Thanks

I had seen a post about taxi and people had paid 20CUC when the fare would have been normally 10CUC

Hear you about driving the market. After a lengthy (several months ) in Ukraine.. we noted the prices in a restaurant were up about 30%!

Dont want to end up short ANd don't want too much in CUC left

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to do either Strawberry pub crawl or the well-researched homemade version posted earlier. We sail October 22, 2018. Looking forward to reports from those that cruise earlier. Thanks!

My husband and I arranged to do a "private" Strawberry Tour bar crawl because a group tour was not scheduled for the evening we were in Havana. Nelson was our guide and we had a great time. You may want to try this route if the group tour is not operating the evening you are there. I can't remember what we paid, but it was worth it in our opinion. I think we paid at the time of booking online and tipped at the end of the night.

My husband and I arranged to do a "private" Strawberry Tour bar crawl because a group tour was not scheduled for the evening we were in Havana. Nelson was our guide and we had a great time. You may want to try this route if the group tour is not operating the evening you are there. I can't remember what we paid, but it was worth it in our opinion. I think we paid at the time of booking online and tipped at the end of the night.

What agency did you book your "private Strawberry Tour" with? Strawberry does not operate on the evening we are in Havana.

Thanks.