Passport EXPIRES on the day we Disembark?

caddykid12

Leaving in the horizon out of NYC

My aunt's passport expires on the day we get back to NYC.

Is that an issue.

There are much better sites to find the answer to this question than CC. I would go with the U.S. Government site to find the answer.

"United States passports are valid until midnight on the date of expiration."

Your cruise leaving out of NYC and returning to NYC does NOT even require a Passport. You would be fine just taking a Birth Certificate.

Here is the theoretical: your aunt gets hit by a taxi on the last port day. She is hospitalized for 5 days in a foreign country. Now her passport is expired and she can't get home until she gets one at the consulate.

This reason above is very accurate. If your passport expired before you got back to the US, it would make it harder for you to get back into the US.

Here's is what my expierence has been.

Sailed out NO. We missed the embarkation of a cruise due to airplane problems and then had to fly to catch up with the ship. When scheduling our flights for 2 days later, Airline would not let us fly to Roatan because our passports only had 45 days left on them. Luckily, we were in Minneapolis and they have a passport office right downtown. Got passports renewed in less than 6 hrs and made our flights 2 days later.

Get a new passport. Had something expire (DL?) ‘that’ day and had heck of a time. Their opinion was that the DL was not valid because the last valid day was the day before the stated expiration date.

Get a new passport. Had something expire (DL?) ‘that’ day and had heck of a time. Their opinion was that the DL was not valid because the last valid day was the day before the stated expiration date.

Who said this nonsense? What's the point of giving a specific expiration date if something expires the day before the expiration date? If the state DMV doesn't state a specific time on the given expiration date, then I think it should be valid the entire day.

We are cruising this weekend, so I just filled out all of our cruise registration paperwork. When inputting the info for each passport on the Carnival site, I got a pop-up box that said "Passport must be valid for the length of the cruise."

So, yes, you will have an issue with that passport, according to the Carnival site.

CeleBrat

I'm guessing a cruise is the same but when my daughter went to Europe last summer they said it couldn't expire withing 6 months of travel date.

We are English. My daughters passports run out in June. We are doing a med cruise next month, Carnival said that the passports are good to use as they are valid for the cruise dates.

We are cruising this weekend, so I just filled out all of our cruise registration paperwork. When inputting the info for each passport on the Carnival site, I got a pop-up box that said "Passport must be valid for the length of the cruise."

So, yes, you will have an issue with that passport, according to the Carnival site.

CeleBrat

The OP stated that the passport in question expires on the last day of their cruise. Presumably, the passport is good until midnight, and they'll be disembarked in the morning. Where's the problem?

Is that an issue.

First, the USA does not require a passport to be 6 months for a USA citizen coming back. The requirement is because many, not all countries have many different requirements that state your passport must be valid for the period of time, that they allow you in the country without a visa. Most countries that is 6 months. You must leave the country within those 6 months so they require it to be valid.

However, you could have a hard time checking in, depending on who checks you in, concerning this. It is still valid if you arrive on the day of expiration. So what can you do? Well, if you have time, renew it. As a back-up, just bring the BC for your Aunt. The worst that will happen, is that they ask for it.

An acquaintance just recently had to cancel his trip as one of his family member's passport was not valid for that time frame. You may want to check the Carnival web site FAQ.

If this was a closed loop cruise what would merit canceling? Did they have a birth certificate? Passports aren’t required. They are a grand idea, but not necessary to cruise.

Curious...

I think Carnival requires passports to be valid with more than a 6 month window. I could be wrong. It’s their decision, their ship, their rules.

If this was a closed loop cruise what would merit canceling? Did they have a birth certificate? Passports aren’t required. They are a grand idea, but not necessary to cruise.

Curious...

I think Carnival requires passports to be valid with more than a 6 month window. I could be wrong. It’s their decision, their ship, their rules.

They recommend it but they don't require it (unless a government does).

Curious...

What's needed is dependent on the receiving countries' requirements - especially Central America. We did a partial Panama Canal cruise with HAL that stopped in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. Because of Costa Rica we were required to have a valid passport to even board the ship on embarkation day. HAL sent us at least 3 emails notifying us of that special requirement.

Carnival requires ID/Passport to be valid through the cruise dates unless a foreign port of call requires otherwise - even though they suggest a 6 month buffer.

For more information www.travel.state.gov.

I'm guessing a cruise is the same but when my daughter went to Europe last summer they said it couldn't expire withing 6 months of travel date.

same..my understanding is there has to be a full 6 months (not even less 1 day) from when you leave, and when your passport expires

same..my understanding is there has to be a full 6 months (not even less 1 day) from when you leave, and when your passport expires

That would be correct if flying to Europe for a vacation.

A closed loop cruise in the Caribbean a passport is not even required but if using one it only has to valid for the duration of the cruise.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

That would be correct if flying to Europe for a vacation.

A closed loop cruise in the Caribbean a passport is not even required but if using one it only has to valid for the duration of the cruise.

Unless for some reason you have to change plans due to any number of unforeseen events. In such a case, you would not be able to fly.

I would never travel on a passport with less than 6 months left on it. Many countries will not allow entry if less than 6 months. And even if they do not have a set policy, a immigration officer in the port can rule no entry. Even if you cruise is a few weeks away you set can get it done. It will involve a rush fee and proof of travel but in the long run well worth it.

Don't risk your whole cruise for a few dollars.

Unless for some reason you have to change plans due to any number of unforeseen events. In such a case, you would not be able to fly.

When people post this it speaks in a absolute tense. And, well... that’s not true.

In a few hours, albeit hectic ones you can arrange for a flight back to the US without a passport. I’ve seen it happen to a couple traveling with us.

On my last cruise we got stuck at sea due to Irma... only those with a valid passport were allowed to disembark the ship at our port of call to fly home... those traveling with only a birth certificate were not allowed to disembark until the ship returned back to the original port of departure... that was two weeks later... these things are rare but best to be prepared for

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is that an issue.

Why worry? Just take a chance & see what happens. Ever been in a Turkish prison?

Is that an issue.

My wife's passport expired the week after we are due back from a cruise, so we opted to get a new one now!:D