Cuba Affidavit

skronzek

I just happened to call NCL because I was curious about how I would physically obtained my visa. The lady ended up telling me I need to fill out an affidavit through ncl.com first. It's not a big deal because it's a very short form, but I'm wondering when someone was going to tell me about this. Is it something I missed somewhere?

Also, she is telling me I need to click on "Educational exchanges – group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization" as the reason I'm traveling to Cuba. How would I have known about that?

Edit - I booked this cruise with a travel agent. He told me that after I paid the $75.00 bucks, there was nothing else required to get the visa.

Anybody else?

Your travel agent is 100% responsible for your cruise. You made a decision to use that travel agent and NCL has no responsibility for ensuring that you don't violate US laws by going to Cuba. US citizens may not visit Cuba on "vacation". Don't go griping about NCL.

if you go to NCL site and search FAQs there is information regarding what is required to travel to Cuba. Your travel agent really should be aware of this. Ours was. If you have any questions if you have done all you need to, just call NCL and they will make sure you are set. Enjoy Cuba!

The visa and the affidavit are totally unrelated (one is for you to be OK with the Cuban authorities, the other is for you and NCL to be OK with the US authorities). You have to make sure you complete both procedures. For the visa, your TA is correct: All you have to do is give NCL $75. For the affidavit, it sounds like you're all set, too. Since it's a document that NCL needs to have on file a few weeks before you sail, I think they would eventually have contacted you (or your TA) about it. Maybe they did, and your TA dropped the ball, who knows.

As the previous posters pointed out, all of this information (and more) can be found on NCL's FAQ pages about Cuba cruises.

The visa and the affidavit are totally unrelated (one is for you to be OK with the Cuban authorities, the other is for you and NCL to be OK with the US authorities). You have to make sure you complete both procedures. For the visa, your TA is correct: All you have to do is give NCL $75. For the affidavit, it sounds like you're all set, too. Since it's a document that NCL needs to have on file a few weeks before you sail, I think they would eventually have contacted you (or your TA) about it. Maybe they did, and your TA dropped the ball, who knows.

As the previous posters pointed out, all of this information (and more) can be found on NCL's FAQ pages about Cuba cruises.

Thank you!

We were wondering about the visa as well, called NCL and the man on the phone took our CC number to charge us the $75pp and said he clicked a box and that it was all taken care of and we'd get our visas on the ship. They could make the process clearer on their website, but a call cleared it up quickly.

I just happened to call NCL because I was curious about how I would physically obtained my visa. The lady ended up telling me I need to fill out an affidavit through ncl.com first. It's not a big deal because it's a very short form, but I'm wondering when someone was going to tell me about this. Is it something I missed somewhere?

Also, she is telling me I need to click on "Educational exchanges – group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization" as the reason I'm traveling to Cuba. How would I have known about that?

Edit - I booked this cruise with a travel agent. He told me that after I paid the $75.00 bucks, there was nothing else required to get the visa.

I was told to ONY check "in support of the Cuban people" box.

I was told to ONY check "in support of the Cuban people" box.

There's some kind of confusion around this, and I'm not sure if I have the answer.

I was also told "in support of cuban people" which I think is related to maybe just taking excursions.

When I called and spoke with someone at NCL, they told me to check this off on the affidavit

515.565(b)Educational exchanges – group people-to-people through Norwegian or other organization"

You check "people to people " if you are just going to take NCL excursions only when you are off the ship. If you are going to take other legal excursions or go off the ship on your own following USA guidelines then you check "Support of the Cuban People".

You check "people to people " if you are just going to take NCL excursions only when you are off the ship. If you are going to take other legal excursions or go off the ship on your own following USA guidelines then you check "Support of the Cuban People".

What if I'm not sure? Can I fill out two affidavits, checking off each one, to make sure I'm covered?

What if I'm not sure? Can I fill out two affidavits, checking off each one, to make sure I'm covered?

Are you taking an NCL excursion? If yes then just follow their instructions. If not then you need to do your own research to determine what is legal as US citizens are not allowed to travel to Cuba for strictly vacation purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just check "Support For The Cuban People" and be done with it. No one is actually looking at this affidavit. NCL just needs it on file to comply with US regulations.

I agree, it’s all kind of bogus, but in that case I’d rather make a single bogus declaration than two separate bogus declarations. Since last year, people-to-people activities are only authorized if you go through an organization under US jurisdiction and if you are accompanied the whole time you are in Cuba by a person under US jurisdiction who represents this organization. I’m not sure how even an NCL excursion meets the second requirement, but it’s clear that if you are planning to visit on your own, or with a Cuban guide, then you cannot select this license.

Your only option is to claim that you are there to provide “support for the Cuban people”. And you may even convince yourself that it’s really true. The good thing is that no one actually cares.