FTTF Price gone up.

DH and I are STTF (slower to the fun):D and with $90 extra for cocktails.

What we do notice is that many folks that have it are sitting down to lunch in the Lido about the same time as us.

It tickles me that a bunch of folks are so angry about the FTTF:o increase but happily pay out $51.95 + 15% grats for alcohol

I'm one of the few that's not angry about the increase because I realize that FTTF is after all a luxury and should be priced accordingly. After having it for the first time last sailing, i'll never cruise without it again.

I'd even pay $100 for it and the less people that buy it now, the more the product keeps it's worth for those that do imo.....which is getting faster to the fun. :)

$59.95 was the breaking point for me. We usually have 2 rooms so I may still buy for one room, just so my kids have a place to sit, relax, nap if needed and we have a place to drop all of our backpacks, etc that we don't want to carry.

Last night on cruose and i was having a flight problem. I needed an assist from guest services. Line was wrapped around to vounter. Having fttf i had a direct route to counter. Someone in the ling line complained. The service desk responded that i have priority. Fttf was so priceless at that moment. I was able to enjoy the last night of the cruise.

Since paying off our cruise, I’ve been doing some research for our 20th anniversary celebration next summer. I’ve compared AIs, cruises, and traditional land vacays. Since we are frugal and don’t eat/drink alcohol alot, it’s looking like a land vacay would be our least expensive option...keeping my options open though clear.png?emoji-smile-1742
I am a librarian and LIVE for research! LOL! I’ve already priced out a 5 night in New Orleans (I’ve never been!) that includes air fare (cheaper to fly then to drive) and a 4 star hotel and meals. So far it’s cheaper than a 5 night cruise during the same dates. I’m at the point where I pass my “vacay vision” over to my TA to see if she can do better clear.png?emoji-smile-1742 before committing!
Frugal family here too. :D One of our favorite vacation destinations is the Smoky Mountains. We can rent a nice cabin for 4-5 days and have a great time for ~$1,000. That includes gas. I like driving to our vacations and we enjoy seeing what there is to see on the road. When we're down there, we mostly hike, which is free. We rent a cabin, (we can find a nice one for about the same price as a decent hotel) because it gives us more room, usually has a pool table or ping pong, hot tub, and we always get one with a kitchen. We save money by buying/making most of our own meals. I know most people will say they don't want to cook on vacation, but we don't mind, especially since it saves us money. We'll still eat out, but not nearly as much. Anything else we find to do is usually free or cheap. That's how we do it no matter where we go.

I'm like you, I love researching our vacations. It's fun to me. Finding things to do that are free or won't cost an arm & a leg, comparing accommodations, looking for discounts/coupons, what routes to take, you name it, I put a lot of hours into researching our vacations. I'll even go as far as looking over the satellite view on the map to see where things are. LOL When we get there, I remember things and it's easier to get around.

So we can definitely take a much cheaper land vacation than cruising, but that doesn't mean we'll stop cruising. Most people who've never done it before think it's way out of their price range. We thought the same. But like we tell others we talk to now who feel that way, if you consider everything that's included in a cruise ticket, it's not too bad. All the food you can eat, a selection of free drinks (that are good enough for us), entertainment of all kinds, and travel to popular destinations. Once you're on board, you don't have to spend another dime if you really don't want to. We just went on our first one two years ago. We loved it and couldn't wait to go again. Next one is in June, so the wait isn't too long.

Keep raising it...

Make the cost "per person" too!

Do it! Do it!!!

I know what you're thinking. You, as platinum, would like to see less people buy FTTF. I'm guessing you're one of the ones who complains that they "dilute" your perks. Sorry to break it to you, but FTTF isn't going away. One of two things will happen after this price increase. Demand stays the same, which means you'll just have to get over it. Or, if Carnival notices that demand drops too much, they'll lower the cost enough to get the numbers back up, which means you'll just have to get over it. :D

Wow that's crazy! I just checked my June Glory cruise and it's $89.95!! My guess is that they are now treating it like an excursion and commanding excursion money for it. I'm sure they'll end up settling at the $100 price point unless the majority of customers reject the higher pricing.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make, $12 million may sound like a lot but it’s only 0.07% of CCL’s 2017 revenues of $17.5 billion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is nothing to sneeze at, but the real number to look at is what percentage it is to EBITDA, or roughly speaking profits. I don’t have time to do the math, but I bet that is a nicer number since it costs hardly anything to generate.

For a public company, EBITDA/profits is a much more import metric.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last night on cruose and i was having a flight problem. I needed an assist from guest services. Line was wrapped around to vounter. Having fttf i had a direct route to counter. Someone in the ling line complained. The service desk responded that i have priority. Fttf was so priceless at that moment. I was able to enjoy the last night of the cruise.

I've gotten used to those angry stares and comments over the years. I try not to look at the regular line anymore

That is nothing to sneeze at, but the real number to look at is what percentage it is to EBITDA, or roughly speaking profits. I don’t have time to do the math, but I bet that is a nicer number since it costs hardly anything to generate.

For a public company, EBITDA/profits is a much more import metric.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What meaningful comparison can you make between gross revenues of a product line and a company’s EBITDA? Maybe if we knew what kind of profit or cash flow FTTF generates for CCL it would make for a valid comparison, but not comparing gross revenue to profit/cash flow.

FWIW, if we assume it’s all profit that $12million REVENUE is 0.46% of CCL’s 2017 NET INCOME of $2.6billion. Still minuscule, a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had luggage tag/flight tix problems last sea day and it took 3 trips to GS to figure it out. I will say I would have gone crazy if I didn't have FTTF. I don't think carnival has that service anymore, luggage express.

I've gotten used to those angry stares and comments over the years. I try not to look at the regular line anymore

I had FTTF and a platinum guy behind me was so angry at me. He started yelling at the GS person when I was done and walked away. Didn't bother me In The slightest but I felt bad for the lady getting yelled at.

How could they help you with a flight problem??? Not their problem??

I would not call it a racket. They provide a convenience to board early. If you don't need or want it don't buy it.

Exactly. This is a business people. The goal is to make the most profit as possible. I don't understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch when prices go up and accuse Carnival of being greedy.

I am bummed that the airfare for my upcoming land based vacation is so much higher than the last time I went to this island, but what am I going to do? I want to go there, so I will pay. I can't drive to Punta Cana.

Happy sailing!

Frugal family here too. :D One of our favorite vacation destinations is the Smoky Mountains. We can rent a nice cabin for 4-5 days and have a great time for ~$1,000. That includes gas. I like driving to our vacations and we enjoy seeing what there is to see on the road. When we're down there, we mostly hike, which is free. We rent a cabin, (we can find a nice one for about the same price as a decent hotel) because it gives us more room, usually has a pool table or ping pong, hot tub, and we always get one with a kitchen. We save money by buying/making most of our own meals. I know most people will say they don't want to cook on vacation, but we don't mind, especially since it saves us money. We'll still eat out, but not nearly as much. Anything else we find to do is usually free or cheap. That's how we do it no matter where we go.

I'm like you, I love researching our vacations. It's fun to me. Finding things to do that are free or won't cost an arm & a leg, comparing accommodations, looking for discounts/coupons, what routes to take, you name it, I put a lot of hours into researching our vacations. I'll even go as far as looking over the satellite view on the map to see where things are. LOL When we get there, I remember things and it's easier to get around.

So we can definitely take a much cheaper land vacation than cruising, but that doesn't mean we'll stop cruising. Most people who've never done it before think it's way out of their price range. We thought the same. But like we tell others we talk to now who feel that way, if you consider everything that's included in a cruise ticket, it's not too bad. All the food you can eat, a selection of free drinks (that are good enough for us), entertainment of all kinds, and travel to popular destinations. Once you're on board, you don't have to spend another dime if you really don't want to. We just went on our first one two years ago. We loved it and couldn't wait to go again. Next one is in June, so the wait isn't too long.

I’m glad we aren’t the only family who vacays frugally! I kind of consider it a personal challenge to design a vacay that meets my family’s needs and doesn’t break the bank. I love the idea of the cabin as I enjoy camping and hiking. No way my husband would go for that idea for our anniversary! I’ve rented houses and have stayed in billeting on various military bases both overseas and domestically. You are so right that one can easily design a land vacay that costs less than a cruise! The best thing I like about cruising is that A) I don’t have to cook or worry about feeding my family & B) My hubby can enjoy himself without worrying about being the designated driver. So hopefully we have a fab time on our first cruise in July and the cruising industry offers another military special!

I am frugal throughout the year so I can splurge big time on vacation...that being said I didn't get FTTF but it had nothing to do with the cost..I just really didn't see the point...I have never waited for hours in long lines to get on an cruise....I have never waited to tender beyond a reasonable amount of time...GS....food etc....and we are driving to this cruise so between myself, hubby and child we will have one backpack among us.....so while maybe I will be kicking myself in the butt later for having not purchased I just don't understand the advantage of it...though I keep trying to figure out what I am missing about what makes it so wonderful but haven't figured that out yet....

• 3 months later...

I hear that all the time that cruising is cheaper than a land-based vacation. Maybe at an all inclusive resort but still, I'm guessing its about the same in those instance. I just got back from 2 weeks in Cozumel as another family member convinced our family to go. We LOVED it. And we rented a condo where the cost ($117 a night per family) was far less than what you could book a budget hotel here for in the U.S. It was a luxury condo in a gated community and food was cheap. Two overflowing carts of groceries and liquor for about $300 USD at Mega. Captain Morgan was $7 for a 750ML bottle at Mega! Beers were $3 a six pack! lol. Dinner out at a fine restaurant was $80 for 4 with tip included. It was actually cheaper than staying at a resort in northern Minnesota on average.

Anyway, my point being I can see why my cousin's family goes there often. It's paradise and relatively inexpensive. And safe I found. My cousin's husband asked me to look into a Mediterranean cruise and once we added up the sticker prices of the cruise and airfare, we were like, how about Mexico again? We could afford the cruise, just rather take 2-3 2 week vacations to Cozumel instead!

That said, we will still take cruises. But saying its cheaper than a land-based vacation is just not true in most cases.

I hear that all the time that cruising is cheaper than a land-based vacation. Maybe at an all inclusive resort but still, I'm guessing its about the same in those instance. I just got back from 2 weeks in Cozumel as another family member convinced our family to go. We LOVED it. And we rented a condo where the cost ($117 a night per family) was far less than what you could book a budget hotel here for in the U.S. It was a luxury condo in a gated community and food was cheap. Two overflowing carts of groceries and liquor for about $300 USD at Mega. Captain Morgan was $7 for a 750ML bottle at Mega! Beers were $3 a six pack! lol. Dinner out at a fine restaurant was $80 for 4 with tip included. It was actually cheaper than staying at a resort in northern Minnesota on average.

Anyway, my point being I can see why my cousin's family goes there often. It's paradise and relatively inexpensive. And safe I found. My cousin's husband asked me to look into a Mediterranean cruise and once we added up the sticker prices of the cruise and airfare, we were like, how about Mexico again? We could afford the cruise, just rather take 2-3 2 week vacations to Cozumel instead!

That said, we will still take cruises. But saying its cheaper than a land-based vacation is just not true in most cases.

First, $117/night is not "far less" than budget hotels in the U.S. Budget hotels (places like Super 8, Motel 6, Microtel, etc.) are more often than not in the $80-$90/night range. Some of them even cheaper than that.

While I agree that one does get a lot of vacation out of a cruise for its price, it's certainly not cheaper than most land vacations we take. For example, we love to vacation in the Smoky Mountains and can do that for around $1,000 total for the three of us. That includes driving, renting a nice cabin, eating out a few times, and doing the things we love to do there. We can certainly have a great non-cruise vacation for much less than a cruise, but recognize that a cruise includes a lot for the price.

The cruise is an inexpensive part. It’s the booze, gambling, air and land travel to port and a night hotel, and excursions/ports/money spent that adds up. I know we don’t have to spend extra but what would be the point if not?

It would be like driving by the Grand canyon and not getting out of the car

First time I ever heard anyone call a land based trip to Mexico safe. Cheap yes, safe no.

Maybe I'm naive but I never once felt unsafe in Cozumel. There are dangerous parts of Mexico but then again, there are dangerous parts of Chicago far more scary where you're much more likely to be murdered. The same applies to NY, London or Paris. Common sense on where to visit and not to in any country goes a long way.