Check In Question

Sorry for so many questions, but this is so helpful to me!

I noticed that even though we are around 60 days away from the cruise, we are able to check in online already and I have seen that many others have checked in long before today as well!

How come we are able to check in so early and what are the benefits of checking in today even though our cruise is not till May? Is there any downside if we wait to check in?

Best,

Victoria

Harmony of the Seas 5/12/18

Sorry for so many questions, but this is so helpful to me!

I noticed that even though we are around 60 days away from the cruise, we are able to check in online already and I have seen that many others have checked in long before today as well!

How come we are able to check in so early and what are the benefits of checking in today even though our cruise is not till May? Is there any downside if we wait to check in?

Best,

Victoria

Harmony of the Seas 5/12/18

Normally you can check in to your cruise 90 days out. No real benefit doing it now other than one less thing to deal with later.

For me check in is one step closer to cruise day, to the start of my vacation. We are booked on a Mediterranean cruise in August and it is frustrating to me to have to wait til 90 days out. With Carnival you can do online check in as soon as you book (but you can't print any documents until the cruise is paid in full). Alas, I shall have to wait 2 more months........

In this case, you are providing the cruiseline info about you, how you are getting to the ship, and how you will be paying for online expenses. There are no benefits for doing it online 60 days out versus 3 days out. At 3 days though, you can no longer do it and will have more paperwork you will have to fill out when you arrive at the port.

Most cruise lines let you fill out the paperwork as soon as you book. Disney and RCI make you wait until 90 days or so (a few others as well), but there really isn't any benefit to doing it early. Shore excursions open between 6 months and 120 days (and sometimes a year out). Onboard drinks and dining open as much as 6 months out. Really no rhyme or reason to all of this.

We prefer doing things early but can live with the 90 day checkin. Just make sure you do online checkin a week or so before boarding since they lock the reservation at about five days. Print out anything you have purchased and get copies of seapass and luggage tags before then.

I could wait to do my check in, but since I’ve been revving my engine for several months, doing my check in makes me feel like I’m finally making progress.

I think that’s why a lot of us check in as soon as we can.

We can do our doc dance at the computer, since we can’t do it at the mailbox any more.

Also, the process makes you check on your required documents like your passports or certified copy of your birth certificate. Saves a lot of panic a couple week before your cruise! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums