good local pub in Dublin

Hi all

We will be over-nighting in Dublin on our Royal Princess cruise in May. We'd like to avoid the touristy pubs and get a more authentic feel of an Irish pub.

Anyone know of any or heard of any that might be good? It shouldn't be too far off the beaten path since we're not familiar with the area but we can definitely get away from the usual areas.

Thanks

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add note

Hi all

We will be over-nighting in Dublin on our Royal Princess cruise in May. We'd like to avoid the touristy pubs and get a more authentic feel of an Irish pub.

Anyone know of any or heard of any that might be good? It shouldn't be too far off the beaten path since we're not familiar with the area but we can definitely get away from the usual areas.

Thanks

ML

There are some great pubs in Dublin. I will bore you with only two and let others chime-in with their recommendations.

My favorite is the Brazen Head (Ireland's oldest pub - live music every night).

I also really enjoy O'Donoghue's but it is usually very busy (right off St. Stephen's Green - music nightly)

There are some great pubs in Dublin. I will bore you with only two and let others chime-in with their recommendations.

My favorite is the Brazen Head (Ireland's oldest pub - live music every night).

I also really enjoy O'Donoghue's but it is usually very busy (right off St. Stephen's Green - music nightly)

Thanks dogs4fun, we will give them a try.

I hope others can also provide ideas. Can't have too many pub options :D:D

ML

If you want to try a real 'old style' Dublin pub you should look in at the 'Long Hall' on Geoge's Street. Location is not far from the ghastly Temple Bar, and close to Dublin Castle.

It is a real Victorian style Dublin drinking pub (children not allowed).

or try Doheny and Nesbitt's, on Baggot Street (close to Grafton Street, Trinity college, Dail Eireann)

If you want to try a real 'old style' Dublin pub you should look in at the 'Long Hall' on Geoge's Street. Location is not far from the ghastly Temple Bar, and close to Dublin Castle.

It is a real Victorian style Dublin drinking pub (children not allowed).

or try Doheny and Nesbitt's, on Baggot Street (close to Grafton Street, Trinity college, Dail Eireann)

Thanks, we'll give them a try. I thought I read that Doheny and Nesbitt's was closed? I must have misunderstood.

We definitely won't be going to the Temple Bar. Trying to avoid the worst of the touristy places at least :D

ML

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would 2nd the recommendation of the Long Haul ... other traditional and not very touristy options are Keoghs (South Ann St. off Grafton Street) or McDaids also just off Grafton street. For very authentic trad music sessions the Cobblestones is excellent, but a bit outside city centre in Smithfield, and only likely to have music at night. The Stags Head, off Dame St is also great ... no shortage of good pubs in dublin ...enjoy 😆

Hi, I would 2nd the recommendation of the Long Haul ... other traditional and not very touristy options are Keoghs (South Ann St. off Grafton Street) or McDaids also just off Grafton street. For very authentic trad music sessions the Cobblestones is excellent, but a bit outside city centre in Smithfield, and only likely to have music at night. The Stags Head, off Dame St is also great ... no shortage of good pubs in dublin ...enjoy 😆

Thanks for these--I'll add them to our list. I think we may be spending some time on Grafton, so we can definitely check those places out.

I'm thinking we could try anyplace that is a little off the beaten trail and be good!

ML

• 1 month later...

We will be in Dublin this August, ship does not leave till around midnight, so will be looking for a pub for dinner too. Thanks for the suggestions. We have put together our own 'waking tour' of the city. I figure we will be in the St. Stephen's Green and Grafton Street area when we will be ready to eat.

We definitely want to visit the Temple Bar area, will probably walk through there in the evening before getting a cab back to the ship..... but just to see it (no meal) and have a beer somewhere. Any suggestions?