are refunds possible for missed ports?

grits

Has anyone gotten anything for missing ports. We missed seeing Coz. due to weather and nothing was added. We had an extra day...we should have been able to go back on our extra day. I know the contract says they are not responsible for weather, but are you not charged port taxes for that port? RCL didn't offer anything.

If you read the contract with the Cruise line you will see that the itinerary is subject to change. The cruiise line will make an effort to make the port, however, it is nt guaranteed. There are many reasons a port can be skipped ranging from weather conditions to civil unrest. The cruise line is under no obligation to refund money for missing a port. They have, however, given shipboard credit in the past for missing a port.

Has anyone gotten anything for missing ports. We missed seeing Coz. due to weather and nothing was added. We had an extra day...we should have been able to go back on our extra day. I know the contract says they are not responsible for weather, but are you not charged port taxes for that port? RCL didn't offer anything.

On our cruise on the NCL Sun which left Houston November 5, 2005, instead of New Orleans due to hurricane Katrina, we first received a $50 per person on ship credit for the change of departure port and then received $20+ per person ship's credit for not docking in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen as originally scheduled due to hurricane Wilma. I guess it was pretty generous of them. These credit just appeared on our final bill when we were ready to leave the ship.

We spent 5 out of 7 days at sea. We were pretty dissapointed, but enjoyed our cruise nonetheless.

I have never received a credit due to a missed port that was caused by weather. On a recent cruise we were credited for a missed port that was removed from the cruise about a week before the cruise began due to a mechanical issue that didn't prevent the ship from sailing but prevented it from including a particular port on its itinerary.

Keith

We sailed Celebrity last Dec. We received a credit of $50 per-person. We didn't go to Colzuma, but I believe the reason we received the credit was due to engine trouble.

That has been the only time that I have missed a port. For just bad weather in most cases you don't get a credit. But I have limited experience on this.

Kim

It is very unusual for port charges to be refunded for missing a port, especially due to weather. Are you talking about missing because of a hurricane or are you talking about missing because rough seas that made it impossible to tender? Sometimes, but not always or even usually, the cruiselines will offer an onboard credit if they have to miss a port or alter an itinerary because of a hurricane. If it was just that you missed because it was too rough to tender, then they rarely refund for that. Either way, they aren't required to give you are refund at all.

And as to going back on your other sea day, it isn't as easy as that. There probably wasn't dock space available the next day and your next destination was probably a full sea day away.

The cruiselines state in the contract that no reimbursement will be made if a port is missed; however, I know that Carnival does give shipboard credits due to missed ports. And no, the port charges are not reimbursed.

Colzuma?

Last year we were booked for Key West, Progresso, Cozumel and Belize. Due to Ivan we went Eastern and got St. Maarten and Nassau only. Carnival gave us 50.00 shipboard credit each. Friends missed 2 days due to Jeanne and lost 1 port and they got 50% off future booking per person and 100.00 pp shipboard credit from RCL.

Archived