Credit Cards

Can anyone recommend a credit card for Europe traveling? Perhaps one that has no fees for ATM withdraws as well no international fees?

I've never been to Europe but assume that it'll be cheaper to get euros and the cheapest way to do that would be ATMs? Or is there a better way? Should I get euros before I leave the states?

You want to look for a card with no foreign transaction fees. Any credit card used to get cash will charge you a cash advance fee. You can minimize this by using a debit card but those will subject your bank account to potential fraud. Some on CC have recommended opening a separate checking account with a debit card with a limited amount if cash in it for traveling purposes.

As far as a credit card, we used our cards that have no foreign transaction fees to make most if our purchases. We ended up using very little cash while in Europe. But then again, we aren't shoppers.

If you don't have a credit card with no foreign fees, sign up for one to get you the best points (airline, travel, hotel, or cash) for signing up with no annual fee. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Most bank have some type of no foreign fee card. I have one we only use on travel. capital one and Bank of America have some nice ones. Also check your bank, you may have one already and not know or upgrade an existing card. One thing to remember is in Europe they use PINS for most of their transactions so you will need to know your cards pin. I did a report last year for my IT class. But I digress. It may be easier to apply at your bank than a new bank.

CapitalOne cards have no foreign transaction fees.

My American Express account just added this feature.

You will always pay an ATM fee for using a foreign machine; some banks offer an offsetting rebate. Contact your bank.

Many years ago I spent a semester of college in Spain. My bank at the time only charged me the standard out-of-network fee for using an ATM, I think it was $2 per withdrawal regardless of amount. There was no conversion fee, no out of country fee, nothing else. So if I took out $20 or $200 the fee was the same and I got extremely favorable exchange rates. I know things have changed but you might check and see what your current bank charges for similar transactions. Enjoy your trip.

I would use a card with no foreign transaction fee. Not sure where you are visiting but remember United Kingdom (England) does not use Euros. You will need pounds sterling.

Also, I think the majority of US credit cards now have a chip. Definitely need a chip card for Europe. Several years ago had problems because my US card did not have a chip. Also used a 4 digit pin and not a signature.

CapitalOne cards have no foreign transaction fees.

My American Express account just added this feature.

You will always pay an ATM fee for using a foreign machine; some banks offer an offsetting rebate. Contact your bank.

Capital One also rebates ATM charges up to $30 per month.

Apparently not EVERY CapitalOne card. Mine does not list that in the benefits section. :(

I use the CapitalOne Mastercard debit card at ATMs. I don''t use the Quicksilver card at ATMs.

No matter what card you use,notify the card company that you will be traveling in Europe,so they don't put a hold on the card.We do this whenever we travel out of the US.

I usually do this, but when I got the CapitalOne Venture card, you don’t have to. I kept forgetting and calling, and the recording told me it’s not necessary because of their chip technology. One less thing to worry about now.

I use a Visa travel card that I got at AAA, but you can also get them other places. It works just like a debit card or a charge card but it's not connected to your bank so it's safer. We load it with an amount of money before we go that we think is sufficient for our travels, then you can get local currency for whatever country you're in. The original card was 7.95 and there is a small fee when you use it for a debit card, I think it's about 2.00 or 3.00 dollars. But there's no foreign transaction fee if you use it as a charge card. We've been using this for years and has always worked perfectly.

No matter what card you use,notify the card company that you will be traveling in Europe,so they don't put a hold on the card.We do this whenever we travel out of the US.

A lot of cards don't require this anymore. Last time I called American Express they told me it wasn't necessary .

ING have no International transaction fees, as long as you deposit a certain amount each month (here in Australia it's $1000AUD)

And definitely tell whichever bank you are with you are travelling overseas. I was told I didn't need to for mine, then halfway through our trip, when trying to pay for a hotel in Brasil, my card had been locked. A 3 minute phone call would have saved me hours of calls from Rio to Australia trying to get it sorted.

Check with whatever card you already have and find out about foreign transaction fees. I have travelled quite a bit out of the U.S. (retired airline pilot) and simply used my normal Debit Card at ATM's. Always seems best to get cash as it is the exchange rate of the day. But mine does have a small foreign transaction fee (1%). But no big deal really. I also use American Express where I can. Many places won't take it so you need another card, Visa or Mastercard. One thing we do is have a text sent to our phones whenever our Amex card is used. Works very well. We charged dinner in Rome one night and before the waiter had returned with my card, I already had the text showing the charge! Most cell carriers have free or $.05 per text to receive, so well worth getting any charge notification.

On a slightly different tangent, I have read that while all transactions on RCI are in US dollars, you can choose to pay in Sterling and it will get converted at the exchange rate prevailing. However, they also state that if you pay using a Sterling credit or debit card, they will automatically charge you a conversion fee as all transactions are processed through a US bank. Does anyone with experience of this advise how much the RCI conversion fee is? We will be using a credit card issued in the UK which does not charge a commission on foreign exchange transactions.

On a slightly different tangent, I have read that while all transactions on RCI are in US dollars, you can choose to pay in Sterling and it will get converted at the exchange rate prevailing. However, they also state that if you pay using a Sterling credit or debit card, they will automatically charge you a conversion fee as all transactions are processed through a US bank. Does anyone with experience of this advise how much the RCI conversion fee is? We will be using a credit card issued in the UK which does not charge a commission on foreign exchange transactions.

It's always been better to have your bank do the conversion.

Thanks for your post, but how exactly do I do that when my cards are all issued in the UK in Sterling?

Just let Royal charge your card in USD. Your bank will make the conversion to GBP. Make sure you tick the proper box on your SetSail pass to have your bank make the conversion. It's also a good idea to confirm this selection with Guest Services around midway through the cruise. The cruise line has a habit of "forgetting" your selection and making the conversion themselves.

Edited by Host Clarea