Will overtourism affect river cruising?

notamermaid

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

You should see some of the small cities in the Mosel or Rhone get slammed with 10-12 of those boats in a day,along with all the tour buses with them. Viking triple rafts, Uniworld double, then AMA, Avalon, CroisiEurpoe, Tauck, & Scenic all slamming Tain

I don't disagree (how could I argue with a fellow wine lover) that there has been a huge increase of river cruise ships in the 12 years I have been cruising, but I doubt seriously that Viking triple rafts in Tain.

It doesn't moor there, nearest stop is a brief time in Tournon where two boats cross (the up-river and down-river) and passengers are taken to and ride on the Tournon steam railway

I was on the Mosel as recently as last August and it was very quiet. I don't recall seeing another cruise boat.

51 minutes ago, pontac said:

I don't disagree (how could I argue with a fellow wine lover) that there has been a huge increase of river cruise ships in the 12 years I have been cruising, but I doubt seriously that Viking triple rafts in Tain.

It doesn't moor there, nearest stop is a brief time in Tournon where two boats cross (the up-river and down-river) and passengers are taken to and ride on the Tournon steam railway

I was on the Mosel as recently as last August and it was very quiet. I don't recall seeing another cruise boat.

We had them triple rafted. Ours, the ship going in the opposite direction with the same itinerary, and a third with a different itinerary.

We didn’t do Tournon, had to miss it. A very low IQ lady on our ship decided she wanted to visit the identical Longship rafted next us us, then got into a long conversation with those passengers. She had come aboard previously but hadn’t checked out when hopping on the other ship. Captain sounds all aboard, and we depart shortly thereafter. Suddenly, at bit down stream, we’re turning around in the river and heading back to pick her up. This all eats up a bit of time which meant we missed our scheduled appointment at the next lock. There we had to sit for several hours before another slot was available. End result, no Tournon. That fellow passenger was not held in high esteem the remainder of the cruise. 

Perhaps by now Tain Hermitage is limiting the number of boats they allow to dock.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pontac said:

In Tain?

I cannot see a Viking cruise that stops at Tain.

Perhaps they no longer do. In 2015 they certainly did. Made visits to downtown, the Valrhona chocolate factory/shop and out to a Croze-Hermitage winery. It was an all day visit.