Notes from a short cruise to Hamburg

Host Hattie

Mr HH had gone to the theatre to watch the film "Goodbye Christopher Robin" & I watched "Going in Style" in the cabin. We had got some orange juice from the Lido to help the Pol Aker go down ! We made the best effort we could for Formal optional/Informal and went to the Commodore Club. The waiter recommended a Flora Dora which I enjoyed but Mr HH wasn't too impressed by his Seafarer, it looked rather flat and unappealing (if he will drink beer in a cocktail bar .....). The room started to fill up nicely so we thought we should make the effort to at least have some time as a table of 6 (the extra 2 chairs and settings had been removed by breakfast this morning).

The Chateaubriand was a popular choice and was very good. One of our companions enjoyed it so much he had a second helping !

One was enough for me and the lemon souffle finished the meal off well.

We stopped off for a drink in the new Chart Room and then went to watch the Queens Room dancers.

IMG_20180324_212435.thumb.jpg.f7a6f030b2d46a1f75ebeebe586a535d.jpg

IMG_20180324_191722.thumb.jpg.48ac9632c46222e8ff76cca697fc6101.jpg

IMG_20180324_191722_1.thumb.jpg.43487f2361baee2eabb275b4fcd7024b.jpg

Day 3 Hamburg

Another hour lost overnight combined with earlier port day breakfast meant we missed it this morning. We used the kettle for the first time and made do with the biscuits.

We got the shuttle bus (free for all passengers) which drops off by the Rathaus to meet Mr & Mrs yoshikitty who had very kindly offered to show us around their home city. We had a stroll by the lake and then a wonderful lunch of pork leg, sausage & dumpling (at this point missing breakfast had been a great idea !).

We took the subway to the new opera house where we could just about make out QV in her berth.

We took a taxi back to the shuttle bus stop and got on the bus just as it was ready to leave. Last shuttle was at 5.45 with All Aboard time of 6.30.

IMG_20180325_172331.thumb.jpg.c1b98e33d18cdfa7129bae461419bceb.jpg

IMG_20180325_142909.thumb.jpg.c6bb67d289b7f8d9dcebb4165451158e.jpg

IMG_20180325_160446.thumb.jpg.f03eea25cd19b4afdba5517b352a3df7.jpg

Thanks for the review. We're on QM2 from Southampton to Hamburg in May so am interested in such a short trip.

I'm also interested in seeing that although the VP showed the evening dress code as Informal, that Formal was optional. Ours says Informal too and although we have no issue wearing formal attire, we are planning to just take jackets for the evenings.

Thanks for the review. We're on QM2 from Southampton to Hamburg in May so am interested in such a short trip.

I'm also interested in seeing that although the VP showed the evening dress code as Informal, that Formal was optional. Ours says Informal too and although we have no issue wearing formal attire, we are planning to just take jackets for the evenings.

I'm sure you will be fine, there was quite a mixture of outfits last night. It's a shame because a true formal night is a great experience whereas this was neither one thing nor another.

There were some stunning evening dresses and some gentlemen who were definitely stretching the definition of a jacket !

I'm sure you will be fine, there was quite a mixture of outfits last night. It's a shame because a true formal night is a great experience whereas this was neither one thing nor another.

There were some stunning evening dresses and some gentlemen who were definitely stretching the definition of a jacket !

Thanks. I would like the formal attire, but can’t carry that along with jackets. Interested in your comment abut stretching the definition of a jacket.

Looks like you are having a god time and your posts are very informative. Never heard of the captain. Who is the head waiter, quasi maitre d in Club?
He was recently in charge of P&O's Azura, apparently. Haven't seen him around but his announcements have been fine.

Eduardo is in charge of Britannia Club, he looked after us in QG last time we were on board.

We enjoyed our sailaway champagne on the balcony, passing varied sights including the newest ship in the German Navy returned to her shipyard for rectification; a Fred Olsen ship in dry dock and a few hardy souls waving us off along the shore.

IMG_20180325_190814.thumb.jpg.154c7d2d77c9d665f3369d0048c2b58c.jpg

IMG_20180326_101106.thumb.jpg.24c56f5f9e5e0ebbe3a0bd9635562446.jpg

Once it was too cold to stay outside we got changed and headed to the Commodore Club. It was very busy but we managed to get a window table just as it was being vacated. We saw some hot canapes being served but they didn't make it to us (probably just as well after our huge lunch). Mr HH had learnt his lesson and had a bottle of London Pride.

I had the Escargots from the a la carte menu to start, they weren't as good as the ones I had in Brockenhurst last Thursday but the lamb and Crepes Suzette made up for them.

We went to the show for the first time, 4 male singers, it was a pretty full house and we enjoyed it.

We celebrated the fact that we weren't going to lose an hour by having a last drink in the Midships Bar, listening to the String Quartet, I'm not sure the theme from "Titanic" was the best choice !

IMG_20180326_090749.thumb.jpg.045531e5ad1bd6f6e6eb68c28254f444.jpg

IMG_20180325_233052.thumb.jpg.36f0662632d5d7eb590dfa7804de8538.jpg

IMG_20180326_100418.jpg.f1c127fe7edcde72efd0b3244c759197.jpg

IMG_20180326_090740_1.thumb.jpg.96e1bb67088155a4d8165b654680c1d7.jpg

We have never had Eduardo on any of our trips. It's always nice if you recognise someone and they recognise you.

We have not been in the gin bar as neither of us like it I'm afraid, so miss the Veuve bar that was there. It does seem popular though.

"We celebrated the fact that we weren't going to lose an hour by having a last drink in the Midships Bar, listening to the String Quartet, I'm not sure the theme from "Titanic" was the best choice !"

Ha nice one Hattie. My wife loves that song when we are on board - not :eek:

When we flew with Emirates last year to Sydney to join the QM2 they played 'Flying without wings' as we taxied down the runway :D ( and then again on the way back from Hong Kong !!) :D:D

Well yesterday was my birthday and it was a wonderful day. Started well with cards that my wife brought along and to cap it off a birthday card from Cunard.

Our butler organised a wonderful drinks party in our cabin with all the couples on our table of 8. La Rosa (the butler) did a great job of a selection of hors d’oevres, a cheese board and a huge “bucket” full of beers and soft drinks.

Dinner was traditionally served caviar, a fish course of sole Veronique, and a main of a superb whole duck a l’orange with crispy skin. Finished off with a cake for us all with a Queen Victoria ship on it. Two other birthday cakes followed in QG - amazing!! The evening finished off with the 10:30 show featuring the “Four D’s” - a sort of Jersey Boys group of 4 - brilliant - and a standing ovation after a final rendition from Les Mis. They are performing again tonight in the Queens Room.

Forgot to mention we took afternoon tea in the Princess Grill dining room. For us it was far better than being in the lounge. The sandwiches were served separately and you chose exactly what you wanted and then moved on to the “cake tier” with a selection of savouries, cakes and the scones with clotted cream. Altogether very well presented and delightful, I’m glad we skipped lunch.

Day 4

We made it in time for breakfast this morning, just the 2 of us today. I had the fruit salad and Eggs Benedict (which could have been warmer). I stopped at the Voyage Sales Office to buy Future Cruise Deposits, it was the first time I had seen it without a queue. There was a very loud Zumba class going on in the Queens Room, it was a bit hard on the ears but the dance floor was pretty full. We gave the second talk by Suzanne Kord a miss, but went to watch Stuart St Paul, we were a bit underwhelmed. They were probably the least interesting speakers we have seen on Cunard.

We started watching the "Murder on the Orient Express" remake. We were the only 2 of our table for lunch as well, I'm beginning to think it was something I said !

Calves Liver followed by Dulche de Leche cheesecake from the spa menu (?).

The sun was out so we found a sheltered spot in the sun by the Pavilion Pool and watched the hardy souls using the pool and hot tubs. We retired to the Winter Garden for a drink, it's much improved in there.

Day 3 Hamburg

Another hour lost overnight combined with earlier port day breakfast meant we missed it this morning. We used the kettle for the first time and made do with the biscuits.

We got the shuttle bus (free for all passengers) which drops off by the Rathaus to meet Mr & Mrs yoshikitty who had very kindly offered to show us around their home city. We had a stroll by the lake and then a wonderful lunch of pork leg, sausage & dumpling (at this point missing breakfast had been a great idea !).

We took the subway to the new opera house where we could just about make out QV in her berth.

We took a taxi back to the shuttle bus stop and got on the bus just as it was ready to leave. Last shuttle was at 5.45 with All Aboard time of 6.30.

[ATTACH]417579[/ATTACH][ATTACH]417580[/ATTACH][ATTACH]417581[/ATTACH]

(bolding by me)

I'm glad you are having a good time! Just a quick question if you don't mind, as it will be the first time we'll be disembarking in Hamburg-Steinwerder cruise center after our QM cruise: Does Cunard always offer the complimentary shuttle to "Rathaus"? As it is a Sunday when we will be disembarking, as well as Steinwerder not being the liveliest and most accessible spot in the city, we'll either have to use a public shuttle to the station which we'll have to pre-book or use that Cunard shuttle you mentioned if there's space for a suitcase.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your cruise.