Word of warning

holidayhelen

This is an interesting thread. I have a couple of questions:

For those that bring ALOT of tech items, do they all need to be plugged in all at the same time; it appears that's what people are saying? If so, why is that?

For those saying they pretty much get away with bringing and using a device with a surge protector and knowing what you now know, you may be responsible for a fire onboard. Will you step up and accept responsibility for the fire or will you blame the cruise line? IMO getting away with something that may harm others appears to be self serving.

Safe cruising all!!

It's not...and actually there is nothing even listed on the prohibited list about extension cords or multi plug adaptors so technically they shouldn't be confiscating any of them.

technically they should be confiscating it since its dangerous. Technically, they should update their website to reflect this

Clearly some people have a very different concept of cruising than I do. I foolishly brought a bunch of electronics on my first cruise thinking I might be bored (?) and never ended up using any of them. They never even made it out of my bag. By the end of the cruise, my phone was dead, because I literally never pulled it out of the safe for the entire trip. The only thing I charged at all was my Kindle e-reader, because I was relaxing and reading on a deck chair for some percentage of each day.

Also, we were instructed never to leave unattended items charging in our stateroom and the power turned off when you weren't home anyway. I can't imagine why people would need to plug in so many devices and keep them plugged in at all times.

In any case, it seems as though non-surge protected strips should not be confiscated without warning. And it seems as though some warning about surge protectors SHOULD be posted on the web site FAQ. I really would prefer that other passengers not bring surge protectors on board and put my safety at risk. I hope they attempt to more highly publicize this info!

After the relatively recent upgrades of the Jade, during our cruise with the Jade last summer, I was pleased to see that in our regular inside cabin there were now 3 fixed USB "chargers" in the cabin, for charging various electronic devices. One on each side of the bed, plus one below the large mirror in the corner. So at least for cruises on the Jade (in my opinion) there is no need to bring any extra multi charging adapters for electronic devices like phones, laptops, tablets or cameras. I thought this was standard for most ships in the fleet after the larger renovations to the cabins that was done during the last couple of years on the majority of the ships in the fleet or at least for the Jewel class ships?

My understanding is that stewards will disconnect things that are left charging. If you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin that pretty much limits your charging time to when you are sleeping. That suggests that you DO have to have things all charging at once. Spare me your opinions on what I do or do not need, everyone is different. In our case we have two phones, two tablets, a camera battery or two, a fitbit and a pair of earbuds.

From a hotel room in Wales a while back,,,

26296522797_8d3b36eb68_b.jpg

My understanding is that stewards will disconnect things that are left charging. If you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin that pretty much limits your charging time to when you are sleeping. That suggests that you DO have to have things all charging at once. Spare me your opinions on what I do or do not need, everyone is different. In our case we have two phones, two tablets, a camera or two, a fitbit and a pair of earbuds.

From a hotel room in Wales a while back,,,

26296522797_8d3b36eb68_b.jpg

Bravo. I had the same reaction to that last post.

How much I want to charge at the same time is no one else's expertise, and his/her opinion on whether I " need" to charge that much is of no value to me.

For those that bring ALOT of tech items, do they all need to be plugged in all at the same time; it appears that's what people are saying? If so, why is that?

The cruise line has implemented written rules that nothing can be plugged in if the room is unoccupied. So, if you are charging multiple phones, ipads, and a couple of cameras, wireless headset, you need more than the outlets available on the desktop (often 1 outlet).

The NCL prohibited list says no “

• 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
Not sure what you were referring to in post #45 that you replied to...... I think it was directed towards curling / flat iron because it generates some heat but......

PROHIBITED ITEMS

ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

This is an interesting thread. I have a couple of questions:

For those saying they pretty much get away with bringing and using a device with a surge protector and knowing what you now know, you may be responsible for a fire onboard. Will you step up and accept responsibility for the fire or will you blame the cruise line? IMO getting away with something that may harm others appears to be self serving.

Safe cruising all!!

I have a laptop for work, hubby has a tablet for work, we each have cameras, both have mobile phones and Gear watches. Since we need the rule about disconnecting everything when we are not in the cabin, we can only charge when we are actually there, so yes, it all must be charged at once. My power strip etc has no surge protection.

We truly do need our tech as we work while we travel... if we weren't, we wouldn't need so much. We're are trying to work within the rules to get our work done while still being safe.