Muster Drill. Where do people hide?

KeithJenner

13 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

A question about Muster Drills. We used to cruise with a couple who basically refused to go to the drill. They hide in their cabins or some where else--whatever. What can happen to some one who basically doesn't show up at all? Obviously they won't be thrown in the brig, so if there is no real penalty, why even make the effort if that is what people want?

Cheer

Len

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

you will get a letter to your cabin asking you to attend a make up drill the next day.

… and if they still refuse to go, they'll find themselves off the ship in next port with luggage.

13 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

A question about Muster Drills. We used to cruise with a couple who basically refused to go to the drill. They hide in their cabins or some where else--whatever. What can happen to some one who basically doesn't show up at all? Obviously they won't be thrown in the brig, so if there is no real penalty, why even make the effort if that is what people want?

Cheer

Len

I believe that they can kick you off in the next port. I would be very surprised to find out someone was successful in escaping all muster and make up drills. They may refuse to go to the initial must drill but my guess is they go to a make up drill.

I was on a cruise once that started with a port day and then had two sea days. They had the muster on boarding day and then a make up on the first port day. They must have a had a number of people miss both because they had an additional makeup drill on the second sea day. And they announced many times on the day before that that drill was MANDATORY if you hadn't been yet. I think that they are pretty set on the idea that everyone will go to a muster drill.

Edited by sanger727

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I believe that they can kick you off in the next port. I would be very surprised to find out someone was successful in escaping all muster and make up drills. They may refuse to go to the initial must drill but my guess is they go to a make up drill.

Actually, there is a new punishment for missing the make-up Muster.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

On the MSC Seaside our kids swam in the pool and we had drinks in our hands in our pool chairs during the muster .... along with a lot of other people. MSC couldn’t have cared less and didn’t ask or say anything .......

Scary!

We hang out, on the deck somewhere, until the drill time and then we make our way down.   Arriving 5 ish minutes late.     Which is usually about 15 minutes EARLY.    This is our routine as, we know their drill.     It doesn't start until 15 minutes later and we hate cruise crowds.    No one is waiting on me I can assure you.   Ever.    

Unless you love cruise crowds, there are plenty of people that call that "people watching", that's not for me.    I avoid cruise crowds, avoid the buffet, especially on embarkation day, would never take NCL transfers from the airport because we hate crowds and waiting, we just know how and when to avoid the lines and the crowds.    Arriving for the drill 15 minutes early would be unnecessary, completely and totally unnecessary!      But you do you.

Edited by Vyhanek
because I wanted to edit......who needs a reason.

Yes, don’t bother arriving early. Arrive late if anything. It always starts late because of stragglers. If you really don’t want to be there, just go in, Check in, Hang out at the back and then just slink out. Tell them you have diharroea or something.

i’ve always wondered if the “make up” drill could simply consist of an explanation and demo of a life jacket from a qualified crew member, written instructions, and your signature to say you’ve been briefed. Does SOLAS require an actual presentation other than showing how the life jacket works?

I'd be less cranky about the drills starting late if they didn't start lecturing about no phone/ebook usage so early.  These can include threats about taking away your device.  I have absolutely no problem paying attention during the presentation.  I even watch on flights since it seems rude to ignore the flight attendant.  But the expectation of me putting my book away when you aren't actually doing anything yet drives me bonkers.  The benefit of the indoor muster stations like the theater is that at least you get to sit down and be in air conditioning.  But it's easier to hide behind someone with your Kindle when you are lined up 5 deep outside.  🙂

They do take attendance, by checking your name & Cabin # from a list.  I did hear that those who skip are subject to removal from the ship. 

Also, what if an emergency occurs at sea, and someone who skipped the drill doesn't know what to do?  They could be a danger to themselves and others.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:02 PM, Vyhanek said:

We hang out, on the deck somewhere, until the drill time and then we make our way down.   Arriving 5 ish minutes late.     Which is usually about 15 minutes EARLY.    This is our routine as, we know their drill.     It doesn't start until 15 minutes later and we hate cruise crowds.    No one is waiting on me I can assure you.   Ever.    

Unless you love cruise crowds, there are plenty of people that call that "people watching", that's not for me.    I avoid cruise crowds, avoid the buffet, especially on embarkation day, would never take NCL transfers from the airport because we hate crowds and waiting, we just know how and when to avoid the lines and the crowds.    Arriving for the drill 15 minutes early would be unnecessary, completely and totally unnecessary!      But you do you.

I agree that unless can't stand for long and will need to sit for the drill, there is no reason to be 15 minutes early. But, every person who arrives late is holding things up. I don't like crowds either, but I show up on time to get it over with as soon as possible. If you are late, they are waiting on you.

My pet peeve though is people who won't be quiet when they are ready to start.

46 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

I agree that unless you can't stand for long and will need to sit for the drill, there is no reason to be 15 minutes early. But, every person who arrives late is holding things up. I don't like crowds either, but I show up on time to get it over with as soon as possible. If you are late, they are waiting on you.

My pet peeve though is people who won't be quiet when they are ready to start.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:48 AM, marktwothousand said:

Bringing books and e-readers to muster drills? That is a bit much. So while you wait for the presentation to start, You need to get that extra 10-15 minutes of reading in that badly? Or are you trying to make some sort of statement?

I always have my kindle in my purse, so yes if I’m sitting waiting, I’m reading.  Why is that a “bit much”?   It’s just reading!