Haines/Skagway

Ladyaruba

pardon my ignorance but are these two towns the same? I had a tour all picked out for Skagway and then realized we were stopping in Haines:')

I loved Haines, there’s a ferry from Haines to Skagway. Haines was super quaint, there’s a coffee shop that sells incredible cinnamon rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haines is at the other end of the Lynn Canal from Skagway. If you are doing ships tour , you will be transferred via the Haines fast ferry . If you are looking to do independent tour you need to prebook the ferry , as it sells out.

Phone 888 7662103 or 907 7662100.

They also have a website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are lots of places to visit in Haines:

Kroschel Films Wildlife Center

Jikaat Kwaan Heritage Center

View bald eagles along the Haines Highway

Fort William H.Seward Historic District and Sculpture Garden (near the port)

If you rent a car, you can visit the first 3 places on your own, plus you can drive into the Yukon (passport needed if you enter Canada). You need to reserve ahead for the Wildlife Center.

Haines is at the other end of the Lynn Canal from Skagway. If you are doing ships tour , you will be transferred via the Haines fast ferry . If you are looking to do independent tour you need to prebook the ferry , as it sells out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

We were looking at the Bordello breakfast and Suspension Bridge tour in Skagway which looked interesting and fun!

If I go ahead and book this thru HAL, they will make the arrangement for us to get there from Haines?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

We were looking at the Bordello breakfast and Suspension Bridge tour in Skagway which looked interesting and fun!

If I go ahead and book this thru HAL, they will make the arrangement for us to get there from Haines?

Yes, if you book one of HALs tours, they will get you there.

If the tour is available for you to book on your itinerary, transportation to Skagway and back to your ship is included. If the tour only shows up for Skagway (not in the Haines list of excursions) you would need to get to Skagway and back on your own.

pardon my ignorance but are these two towns the same? I had a tour all picked out for Skagway and then realized we were stopping in Haines:')

Be advised that the times for the ferry are a little odd so review everything closely BEFORE booking your excursions. If it's through the ship you'll be fine because they will arrange all of that for you.

If the tour is available for you to book on your itinerary, transportation to Skagway and back to your ship is included. If the tour only shows up for Skagway (not in the Haines list of excursions) you would need to get to Skagway and back on your own.

Guess I will look into it more before I book it. Thanks

When we were in Haines we saw their "Hammer" museum - don't laugh, it was incredibly interesting. My husband went nuts over it......

We have been there. It was so fun!!! My husband and sons thought it was THE BEST. (We drove the Alaska Highway and took the ferry from Skagway.)

~Robin

When we were in Haines we saw their "Hammer" museum - don't laugh, it was incredibly interesting. My husband went nuts over it......

The hammer museum was part of our HAL tour. I didn't think I'd be very interested. But to my surprise I really enjoyed it. Bought one of the little hammers as a souvenir but Canada Customs took it away from me:loudcry: I should have packed it in my checked luggage. Oh well.

IIRC (and that is no longer a given, at my age!), it was "Sara J's Expresso Shoppe" :):):)

OUTSTANDING!!! Thank you! I'll definitely check it out. Wasn't planning on the Hammer Museum but now I might do that too.

Of late, Skagway is having issues with landslides onto two of their docks, reducing

the number of available berths.

Interestingly, HAL(!?!) has proposed taking over management of those two docks

(and the hillsides) from the narrow-gauge railway that runs up through White Pass.

Did someone just say "If you want it done right...."? ;)

Edited by Haboob
Remove errant line-feed

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with someone from HAL about the excursions.

I was told that this tour was not offered for Haines, only Skagway. I asked if I could take the fast ferry to Skagway and do it that way. She said sorry but no because it wasn't offered as a Haines Excursion

Will see what looks interesting in Haines!