The Tipping Point for Royal

We have been invited to the Heli pad for a sail away on Oasis Class, Freedom. It was a Suite and P party. Lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did the Allure sail away suite and PC party. Only stayed 5 minutes, to freaking hot, no munchies, no refills on drinks.

Much prefer the oasis one in Dazzles

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I’m in a wheelchair and have no choice but to use the elevators. I also know that there are some people who seem able bodied that have to use the elevator due to health issues. What I don’t agree with is people’s lack of consideration for others. If I have companions with me and when they see elderly people or people with walking issues they give them their spot in the elevators and my companions take the stairs. There have been many kind people that see me and give me priority on the elevator. I have also seen many inconsiderate groups of people jump in the elevator even if I was waiting before them and I have to wait for the next elevator. Yes someone in that group might have been one of those people who seem able bodied but really require the elevator due to health issues but I really doubt everyone in that group was in that situation. I’m young and in good health other than being in a wheelchair I give elderly people on walkers or people with problems walking priority on elevators as I know they probably have difficulty standing and there are usually no chairs or benches by elevators. We all need to use common sense and have some consideration for others. None of us are perfect and we do and say things sometimes without thinking but we should all make an effort to be more aware of our surroundings and considerate of others.

......Lots of able bodied people use the elevator when they could simply walk a flight or two. And I’m not talking about at dinner time because they are wearing heels. It makes the elevators even busier than otherwise. This should upset people like you that need them. For every one of you there are 99 people who could easily walk it so his point is valid and he shouldn’t feel sorry about. I feel bad you suffer from your condition but what he was saying should be appreciated by you.

And just why do you think some people are more entitled to use the elevators over others? Because they have a disability? The elevators are there for EVERYONE to use even if they are abled bodied and want to go up one flight of stairs! No one group is entitled to use them over anyone else.

This topic rears its ugly head every once in a while. If it bothers you seeing people use the elevator for which it is designed ( that is ---going from floor to floor), then take the stairs. People who take the elevator and only go up a deck or two are not doing anything wrong. They should not have defend themselves or apologize.

Exactly, the elevators are for EVERYONE to use regardless of why they use it or how many floors they go to.

I just got off the Freedom this past Sunday. This was our 3rd time on Freedom and we love the ship. I will agree with some of what the OP stated. The food in the main dining room has definitely gone downhill. The choices are repeated, night after night, although under different names. We even ate dinner in the Windjammer several times because nothing looked appealing in the dining room, which was a first for us. I think several on these boards, across all ships, have said similar things about the dining room food. I was hoping they were wrong but sadly - I did not find that to be the case.

Chair hogs - yes. Although, I did not find it to be any worse than previous cruises. I did witness the pool attendant remove towels several times throughout the week.

We booked a guarantee room this time and so our cabin was very far forward on a low floor, which is not something I would have normally chosen. However, I was pleasantly pleased with the room and location. And one reason is because the forward elevators are used much less than those in aft. I will agree that elevators are crowded on almost every ship I've been on. But I did notice that the elevators stopped on almost every single floor this time because of people riding it for one floor. I don't presume to question if it is needed or not but it was something I observed this time that I had not really in the past. So, in my opinion - for this particular trip, the elevators were used much more frequently than I have experienced in the past.

I had read many negative reviews on Freedom in the past few months and was a little apprehensive about cruising on her again because of them. But the ship is still beautiful, the crew was helpful and friendly for the most part, our weather was perfect, and we had tons of fun. Yes, after cruising with RCCL for the past 15 years - I do notice some things are not what they used to be. But I suspect that this is the case with most of the other mainstream lines as well.

We were also on this cruise. The food in the MDR was not very good at all. We only ate there once and the rest we ate in the Windjammer.

Very often the elevators stopped on every floor. Several comments were made that it was kids hitting all the buttons. There were a lot more of them since it was spring break.

We booked after final payment so we ended up with a guaranteed balcony room. We never like to book guaranteed rooms and I thought we got lucky by getting a corner aft balcony. The location was great, but the room was the smallest balcony room I have ever been in. There was hardly any storage. We have usually had storage above the bed and there wasn't any. The couch was 2/3 the size of the ones we have usually had in balcony cabins. I don't know if all regular balcony rooms are this small on the FOTS or if it was just the regular aft balcony cabins. This was our first time on the Freedom.

The ship did look a little tired to me. The toilet had dark colored scratch marks from being cleaned so many times and there were some small areas that looked like they had touchups in the paint on our ceiling. The curtains had a few issues, etc. None of this bothered us and I would rather sail on a tired looking ship and have better food than below par food on a beautiful looking ship. Unfortunately they were both below par. I'm sure dry dock will fix the tired looking problems, but unfortunately it won't fix the food issues.

The game has changed and now Diamond is not enough. Now you have to be Pinnacle (not obtainable before 75) or in a suite. I will buy the suite going forward. Royal wins again and makes even more money and the game continues......

Crash-

I have met a few pinnacles that are not 75.

At our present rate we hope to make it by 50. Unless MSC is very good and gets our business after this July.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes they are for everyone but it is a nice courtesy when others are considerate.

I completely agree with you. It is nice when others allow handicapped people on ahead of them and hold the door so they can get on. I have a problem when some people feel entitled because they are handicapped. I also think people shouldn't cut in front of others in any line. It should be first come first served. Our last cruise a week ago I would usually take the stairs. The last couple of days I ended up with 2 big blisters and then rarely took them since I already had a long walk to the aft where our cabin was. It was odd because I have never gotten blisters from those shoes.

I just don't think people should say that abled bodied people shouldn't take the elevators even if it is just for 1 or 2 floors.

Well said. Why can’t people get it? It is a business to make money. To provide for stockholders.

I get it. However, if you tick off enough customer's, soon the shareholders will also be ticked off.😲

Every guest on the ship can use the elevator for a little or as many floors as they like. If they are willing to wait their turn vs. climbing up/down the stairs, then that is their prerogative. I cannot understand thinking that someone else should not use it, so that it is easier for you to use. :rolleyes:

Did the Allure sail away suite and PC party. Only stayed 5 minutes, to freaking hot, no munchies, no refills on drinks.

Much prefer the oasis one in Dazzles

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I really liked the helipad "party". Not one for drinking lots or even eating between meals so lack of snacks or refills didn't trouble me. It was nice to go somewhere which was out of bounds for others. Plus, great opportunity to mingle with the officers.

It was hot but no hotter than getting off the ship in Nassau.

Maybe it's just me being an arse...but I don't accept. If, as you wrote it, you knew some would have been offended you could have immediately edited the post. I always consider the first comment of a person to be their true feeling...not the apology that comes after being publicly called out.

I have reported your posts on this thread to the forum hosts/moderators as there is simply no place for your kind of comments on any forum. Maybe you will think twice in future and delay a response until you have cooled off.

I only wish it was just TC1957 - I'm seeing an increasing number of posts with rude, vicious and hurtful comments, especially where there's any hint of a criticism aimed at RCI. Fine, be loyal to your favorite cruise like but everyone is entitled to their views and opinions

This topic rears its ugly head every once in a while. If it bothers you seeing people use the elevator for which it is designed ( that is ---going from floor to floor), then take the stairs. People who take the elevator and only go up a deck or two are not doing anything wrong. They should not have defend themselves or apologize.

There are plenty of elevators which everyone is entitled to use and if one is full you don't have Long to wait for the next one.

I appreciate this apology, and I want to add because this is something I see increasingly.

I am 26 years old and appear to be perfectly fit to anyone who may be looking at me. I have a heart condition that can cause me to have arrhythmias at any given time for no reason, and the odds of this increase during certain activities - stairs in particular. I have actually had people make comments to me in elevators several times. I take the stairs down whenever possible, but up is a struggle. Please don't ever judge someone, even if all signs point to them being perfectly physically capable.

Elevators on any ship are a pain in the a$$. I hope your next cruise is more enjoyable.

Personally i have never thought about who uses the elevators because i use them too and why shouldn't someone use the elevator.

Maybe it's just me being an arse...but I don't accept. If, as you wrote it, you knew some would have been offended you could have immediately edited the post. I always consider the first comment of a person to be their true feeling...not the apology that comes after being publicly called out.

You are correct,if everyone just said hello in a friendly way life would be much better.

I have reported your posts on this thread to the forum hosts/moderators as there is simply no place for your kind of comments on any forum. Maybe you will think twice in future and delay a response until you have cooled off.

I only wish it was just TC1957 - I'm seeing an increasing number of posts with rude, vicious and hurtful comments, especially where there's any hint of a criticism aimed at RCI. Fine, be loyal to your favorite cruise like but everyone is entitled to their views and opinions

What did I miss?

We all need to use common sense and have some consideration for others. None of us are perfect and we do and say things sometimes without thinking but we should all make an effort to be more aware of our surroundings and considerate of others.

Just want to second this. It's not about who "should" use an elevator or not, but being considerate and polite about it.

Just want to second this. It's not about who "should" use an elevator or not, but being considerate and polite about it.

True,i have often let a wheelchair or scooter take my place in the elevator and just got the next one.

We were also on this cruise. The food in the MDR was not very good at all. We only ate there once and the rest we ate in the Windjammer.

Very often the elevators stopped on every floor. Several comments were made that it was kids hitting all the buttons. There were a lot more of them since it was spring break.

We booked after final payment so we ended up with a guaranteed balcony room. We never like to book guaranteed rooms and I thought we got lucky by getting a corner aft balcony. The location was great, but the room was the smallest balcony room I have ever been in. There was hardly any storage. We have usually had storage above the bed and there wasn't any. The couch was 2/3 the size of the ones we have usually had in balcony cabins. I don't know if all regular balcony rooms are this small on the FOTS or if it was just the regular aft balcony cabins. This was our first time on the Freedom.

The ship did look a little tired to me. The toilet had dark colored scratch marks from being cleaned so many times and there were some small areas that looked like they had touchups in the paint on our ceiling. The curtains had a few issues, etc. None of this bothered us and I would rather sail on a tired looking ship and have better food than below par food on a beautiful looking ship. Unfortunately they were both below par. I'm sure dry dock will fix the tired looking problems, but unfortunately it won't fix the food issues.

Most Royal ships have 2 different size Balcony Cabins. The former "D" was the larger, has a couch, extra sq ft and extra storage The former "E" class which you had is only a love seat, less sq ft and less storage. Get a Guarantee cabin and it's luck of the draw. Also though they have a couple good cabins having a corner Aft isn't guarantee great cabin on the Voyager and Freedom class and is on Vision and Radiance class as you now know...

The elevator issue mainly rears it’s

head during the few high demand times (first day, dinner for aft elevators, after life boat drill, etc). Those truly needing wheelchairs are really in a tough spot b/c they are low to the ground, can't maneuver at all when swallowed up by the crowd, and it can be overwhelming for them. Just travel with someone in a wheelchair and you will see how difficult it can be.

Of course the elevators are for everyone but common curtesy sometimes gets lost when pack mentality takes over. This happens at peak times when people cut, push, or whatever to just get in an elevator. We have all witnessed it.

And the point by the OP about taking an elevator down just to go up (which lots of people) do does screw up system sometimes. The elevators clearly are programmed for things but the programming surely doesn’t account for this. This is why you see empty elevators pass you on a floor. The “smart elevator” doesn’t account for those going 5 flights down to go 3 flights up. It clogs up the whole system.

I take stairs when ever possible. Then the only annoying thing is the family sitting 4 wide on the stairs blocking the entire side. Lol.