Best way to keep track of 'ship time'

ntourtelotte

We usually look at the ship clock as we exit the gangway. If you are unsure of local time look for a bank or hotel sign that includes the time. Sometimes public squares have clocks. It is usually really easy to determine if local time equals ships time. Most of the time it will.

If you happen to have an iPhone:

Settings - General - Date & Time - Turn off "Set Automatically." When you turn this off, it will allow you to adjust your phone's time manually if need be. Just find a clock on board.

I'll go one step further and go into Privacy - Location Services - System Services - Turn off "Setting Time Zone." This one may not be necessary, but it's for my own peace of mind because the phone's GPS receiver still operates even in Airplane Mode. I don't want it using Location Services to determine the time zone.

Sorry for the question for which the obvious answer was a watch. I guess I should have said that no one in our house has a traditional watch and I was looking for other solutions. I am trying to avoid having to go buy a watch just for this purpose and bring one more thing along. But, thank you to those who said that the phone could be set to stay on one time even when you connect it. I will try to figure out how to do that.

On Android phones: Settings | Date & Time. Turn off Automatic time zone. This will keep the phone in the ship's time zone (EST/DST) rather than change to the local one. Don't forget to turn the switch back on once done.

Sorry for the question for which the obvious answer was a watch. I guess I should have said that no one in our house has a traditional watch and I was looking for other solutions. I am trying to avoid having to go buy a watch just for this purpose and bring one more thing along. But, thank you to those who said that the phone could be set to stay on one time even when you connect it. I will try to figure out how to do that.

There are many solutions. Go to the store and buy a $15.00 watch. Take a crash course on telling time by looking at the sun, and use a sundial. Personally, I would never rely on my phone as the only time. I have a watch and phone, my phone is set to the correct time, without auto update, and I use a battery clock as my alarm clock, as well as my phone. By the way, your the first person that complained that "a watch is one more thing to bring along". Never even thought it was difficult item to pack. I would skip out on a pair of shoes, and pack the watch.

If the ship is in port from 8 to 5, and you are leaving the ship at say 9am, that gives you 7 and a half hours before you need to be safely back on board. Count 7 and 1/2 from whatever gizmo you have and that becomes your zero hour.

If you leave at 10am and ship's departure is 4pm, then you have 5 and a half hours to zero time .

I like to keep things simple.

Or you can wear a mechanical watch as many have already posted. Enjoy your cruise.

Wear a watch every day of my life so I never think about this issue. Unfortunately, heading to a cruise about 2 years ago I noticed that the battery had just died. Timing! ;p;p:o

Have not worn a watch in years, except for a Fitbit. However, I still remember when batteries were not required... just wind the little pin on the side.

:hearteyes:

No one in my house does either. I just went to the Walmart and looked at watches they start at $5. I was able to snag one on Clarence for $3.

You stole Clarence's watch?!?!?

Sorry. I posted about a getting a watch before I read your next post. Not trying to be "that guy" but really, a watch is your best option. (You can get one for less than $10). You are on vacation. Turn the darned phone off and enjoy being "disconnected".

WalMart has cheap watches. I bought one recently to wear for work and it was only $7.88 (regular price). Works like a charm. Leave the cell phone on the ship. Enjoy the vacation.

Am I correct that ships will not change time with the time zones, but rather will stay on their own time regardless of the time in port. So, if we are out and about, we need to keep track of the ships time on our own, not look at public clocks? And, if we connect our phone to wi-fi and the phone updates to local time, we need a different way to keep track of ship time? Suggestions?

A watch set to ship time? :rolleyes:

Another one that wears a watch when I’m cruising. I get a sports watch that’s shock proof, water proof and the strap is nylon Velcro. Those other watches with elastic metal or plastic bands break to easily with all the activity that we do.

I actually did buy a watch just for cruising. It's just a cheap $5 waterproof Velcro strap watch from Walmart. It's helpful at the beach when we don't have our stuff with us in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Again, thank you for the responses and I know a watch is easiest. I also know that there is one day on our cruise that we will connect to local wifi as I have told my students that I will respond to emails on that day. Just want to be able to make sure we are accurately keeping track of time when taking the phone off airplane mode and connecting to wifi.

You don't need to take your phone off of airplane mode to use wifi. You only have to turn it off if you're trying to use your data.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are going to use your phone just be certain you know what to/not to turn on when out of the country. I have heard too many horror stories of people not understanding how their phones work coming home to outrageous phone bills.

I had not worn a watch in years, relying on my cell phone at home and a cheap watch on cruises. My DH bought me a nice one on a cruise a few years back and I now wear it every day.

(solar powered - no winding, no batteries!) Being able to know what time it is by simply glancing at my wrist and not having to dig my phone out has been almost luxurious. I have no idea why I ever gave up wearing a watch.

So I obviously recommend them as well as being reliable and convenient, but if you are committed to the phone, do be sure you know how the features work so you don't end up with an enormous bill.

Putting a phone in airplane mode might not work as far as not updating the time especially if you have the wi-fi package on the ship. One person in our party on Vista didn’t turn off “Location settings” and his phone updated to local time. He couldn’t figure out why his was the only phone like that. I went on to FB and saw it was posting his pics from where we were at and figured it out that way.

I wear a Garmin Vivofit 2 like a watch. It’s waterproof and doesn’t connect to anything so it’s always right.

Might I suggest you read the first 38 posts ahead of you before "rolling your eyes" at the OP. Countless others have suggested a watch and the OP even addressed it.

The point of my eye rolling was that new, high-tech, electronic is not necessarily the only or best solution to a problem or question.

My reply of watch set on ship time was on topic for the OP's request for "suggestions"

It is under your settings,

You can get a very cheap watch at walmart for less than $10.