What if Carnival required reservations...

Megan_Strick

to shows and things like that? That is the main reason I haven't sailed on NCL and RCCL. What if I decide at the last minute I want to see a show and can't because it is booked by people making reservations. Would that deter you from cruising?

Personally, the beauty for me is being able to plan ahead or decide last minute what I want to do on a cruise. Reservations for everything would become a big pain!

I will say, however, that one area that a reservation system might work is the comedy clubs. But ONLY because there is never enough seating for everyone wanting to attend.

to shows and things like that? That is the main reason I haven't sailed on NCL and RCCL. What if I decide at the last minute I want to see a show and can't because it is booked by people making reservations. Would that deter you from cruising?

I can only talk about my experience on NCL. They only offer reservations on their larger ships such as Breakaway/Breakaway plus and Epic. They offer reservations for their Broadway production shows like Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor , Jersey Boys etc These production shows are offered a few times per sailing. You have the option to book online or on the ship. Ten minutes before ShowTime they allow stand-by guests in.They also allow you to reserve comedy shows in their small Headliners venue. Same thing book ahead of time or enter stand by 10 minutes before show starts. All other entertainment including welcome aboard, magician and hypnotist are first come first served just like Carnival..I go with the flow. If Carnival went to a reservation system I wouldn't alter my plans to sail with them..

Other than the comedy club,why would they need them. Playlist productions isn’t exactly packing them in, always plenty of seats available.

NCL and Royal have shows(Broadway,water.etc) that people are willing to wait in line to see, currently Carnival doesn’t.

Personally, the beauty for me is being able to plan ahead or decide last minute what I want to do on a cruise. Reservations for everything would become a big pain!

I will say, however, that one area that a reservation system might work is the comedy clubs. But ONLY because there is never enough seating for everyone wanting to attend.

Yeah I totally agree. If I decide at the last minute to go I don't want to be turned away. I bet a lot of people make reservations and don't show up.

That’s one of the reasons I’m hesitant to book with another cruise line. I like everything being equal. Don’t want to have to stress about getting reservations beforehand like I’m going to Disney or something.

When I first started cruising I wanted to pre-book everything. Now I am enjoying a more leisure approach and like the option to wait until the event to decide if I really want to or I'm in the mood for it. On our last cruise in August we didn't end up seeing any of the shows except the love and marriage one.

We didn't need reservations on anything for our RCI cruise other than the ice show. You can go down at certain times to get tickets before the shows. We did that and just planned for that one. But all the other shows we just showed up early to get some seats, that was it. I'm not sure if other ships need reservations, I just know ours didn't. But I do understand your side of it, we don't always plan everything, but we do look at the Fun Times and will make our schedule fit for the things we want to do.

We didn't need reservations on anything for our RCI cruise other than the ice show. You can go down at certain times to get tickets before the shows. We did that and just planned for that one. But all the other shows we just showed up early to get some seats, that was it. I'm not sure if other ships need reservations, I just know ours didn't. But I do understand your side of it, we don't always plan everything, but we do look at the Fun Times and will make our schedule fit for the things we want to do.

Unless you sail on the Oasis or Quantum class ships,you don’t really have to reserve anything.

Reservations on Royals Oasis and Quantum class ships are not a big deal. We make a reservation to see everything precruise. If it works in our plans for that day, cool. If not, we go stand by at another venue, go to bar, or do nothing. We don't let our reservations dictate our plans for the evening. Except for the comedy show you usually can get in stand by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

We didn't go to a single show on our last cruise and I doubt we will on the next one. We used to go to most of them, but these days we prefer low-key ways to enjoy our time at sea, like sitting on our balcony with a couple of drinks.

Reservations would lead to cruise lines charging for the best seats and views, so I can imagine it's coming.

I agree with you. Every thing is coming down to a charge. At some point the only you will be able to do is the dining room and buffet. It would not surprise me they start charging for MUTS..

I agree with you. Every thing is coming down to a charge. At some point the only you will be able to do is the dining room and buffet. It would not surprise me they start charging for MUTS..

The prime example of this trend is FFTF... charging for a privilege you used to get free for expending some effort by showing up early.

The prime example of this trend is FFTF... charging for a privilege you used to get free for expending some effort by showing up early.

More and more ports (possibly all at this point) have gone to staggered check in. If you don’t have some sort of priority status (Diamond or Platinum) you need to pay for an early boarding privilege if you can’t secure an early slot when you go online to choose

Yeah I totally agree. If I decide at the last minute to go I don't want to be turned away. I bet a lot of people make reservations and don't show up.

abc

Edited by mpdog42
ref wrong post

No!

Maybe if you tried another line once in your "Crusing Life" you might see that there is Good and Bad in every Line, Lets not get a Ncl Rccl bash going.... Shall We?

Mike

Reservations would lead to cruise lines charging for the best seats and views, so I can imagine it's coming.
:confused::confused::confused: It's been around ever since RCI came out with the Oasis and the Allure. And continues on the Harmony, Anthem, Quantum, Ovation & Symphony. NCL followed suit with the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss. That's 11 ships.

Carnival will possibly start doing it with the LNG ships, simply because of the number of passengers that will be on board.