GEM Pools

CrusinCyndi

We are sailing out of New York in June heading up the east coast.

Will the pools be warm enough to enjoy? Not sure what the temp will be en-route.

Does the spa area have a pool? Is it worth the cost ?

Any information is appreciated!

Just got off the Gem a few days ago from a trip to the Caribbean. My first time on the Gem and I was very disappointed with the pools.

There is basically only one very small pool on the pool deck. The larger one has been converted into the water slide. The small pool was always crowded and so I never even attempted to enter it.

Also, there is not enough deck space for the amount of people on board. On sea days, both decks were completely full and had people wandering around looking for a chair all day long. I was glad to have my own balcony.

Many chair hogs saved chairs from early in the morning, and the staff did nothing to discourage this. For these reasons alone, I will probably never go on this ship again.

Just got off the Gem a few days ago from a trip to the Caribbean. My first time on the Gem and I was very disappointed with the pools.

There is basically only one very small pool on the pool deck. The larger one has been converted into the water slide. The small pool was always crowded and so I never even attempted to enter it.

Also, there is not enough deck space for the amount of people on board. On sea days, both decks were completely full and had people wandering around looking for a chair all day long. I was glad to have my own balcony.

Many chair hogs saved chairs from early in the morning, and the staff did nothing to discourage this. For these reasons alone, I will probably never go on this ship again.

We were on the Gem last May, two pools (my 14 and 16 year olds hung out in one, my 19 and 20 year olds hung out in the adult pool). We found tons of loungers a deck or two above the pool deck at the bow of the ship, always found loungers.

https://www.dunhilltraveldeals.com/norwegian-gem/

I was on the same cruise and also saw chair hogging starting at 7am. There were no pool area chairs left by 10am and the area was jammed. But, there are plenty of other deck locations with loungers. Of course, spots with a view of the pool and band were at a premium. Hot tubs usually had 6-8 people in each for hours at a time.

I cruise enough on NCL, Carnival, and Royal to know that Chair hogging is an issue on most ships. Good luck finding a mainstream ship that doesn't have a chair hog problem..

I’ve been on nearly 30 cruises over the past several years. I have sailed Royal,Celebrity, Holland and Norwegian.

I have seen plenty of chair hogs, and accept it for what it is. But I truly have never seen as blatant a problem with chairs being saved as I saw on this cruise. And again, there was no staff interest in helping the issue.

As far as lounges on other decks, on the two warm sea days going South, even the upper deck was packed. It was available on the three sea days returning to NY only because it was too windy for most tastes to be on the top deck.

The are a few lounges outside of the Atrium on deck 7, but not enough, as these were always occupied also.

And, speaking of the Atrium, hard to find a seat there, too!

I guess this ship is just not for me! I hope others have better luck!