Free wifi

Carol From California

Just received this email from Silversea.

ENJOY UNLIMITED WI-FI ON YOUR CRUISE

Dear Guest,

Sailing around the world with Silversea leaves you with unforgettable memories. Capturing remote landscapes, engaging in authentic cultures, and savoring regional flavors — you’ll encounter it all on a Silversea voyage. These unique experiences expand your global perspective, broadening your connection to the world in the most immersive way.

And now even in the planet’s most remote destinations you’ll be plugged into the world around you — and beyond. Starting April 1, 2018, Silversea will offer free unlimited Wi-Fi access to every suite on board all of our intimate, ultra-luxury ships.

• Guests booked in standard suites can enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 1 simultaneous device per guest.
  • Guests staying in Silver Suites and above enjoy Unlimited Premium internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest.

Whether it’s catching up on emails or sharing rare moments from your cruise on social media, you will stay connected at sea and enjoy a world wide web of possibilities with Silversea. Plug into our world and join us for the voyage of a lifetime.

This is very grim. On which ship? In some very remote region that may not have good satellite coverage? How recently?

No.

It's been like that for years, even before the unlimited option came in. I didn't notice any change of speed with the unlimited and I cruise frequently and use the internet a lot so I probably would have.

It's been like that on the Wind, Cloud, Whisper, Spirit and Muse to my knowledge.

It's been like that all over Europe, Britain, eastern Canada, east coast US, Bermuda, the Caribbean, west coast Africa, and the UAE to my knowledge.

Curiously, it's often better mid-Atlantic. Also in Greenland, where I knew I was on the edge of the satellite cover, it was better than ever. Go figure.

The premium version usually runs about 2 Mbps I believe, altho' I haven't yet tried it. It's usually about $25 to $30 a day.