Hidden Extras

MBP&O2/O

I find researching a cruise is part of the fun but I am really struggling with the Viking website.

We each have our own desires in respect of ‘wants and not wanted’ which leads me here.

If some one could throw some pointers at me it would be appreciated. I am still awaiting my brochure, and I could ring and ask ‘corporate’ but customers tend to be more accurate, especially when it comes to hidden extras.

Food: Is it as good as the official blurb? What does ‘complimentary wine with meals’ mean? Is it by the never ending topped up glass or ....... ????

I ask that because I have just completed a Silversea cruise and they used to push ‘recommended’ wines - by the frequently topped up glass - with meals. There was a wine list but it was never offered and as far as I am aware there were no hard copies so if you fancied being a rebel then you had to discuss your desires withe the sommelier!

Dining: All the pictures on the website indicate that the decor in the restaurants is more of a modern Scandinavian style than ‘silver service’.

Alcohol: I am not a heavy drinker but like wine with meals, and an occasional glass in the afternoon with ‘chill mode’ engaged.

Am I right in thinking that the latter - the odd glass scenario - is NOT included in the price and that, as an ‘extra’ it would need to be purchased separately ... the same with a pre-dinner cocktail?

Reading forums I saw a ‘no corkage fee’ mentioned. Does this mean I can bring my own wine on board for consumption in the dining room or suite?

Coffee: Speciality coffee is free?

Speciality coffee with alcohol is not?

Is that correct?

I saw that on a river cruise there was a purchasable drink package, does such a thing exist on ocean cruises and if so how much are they ~ ballpark 15 day ocean cruise ~ so I can evaluate their worth? I presume that both persons in a suite would have to buy one? If there is such an item, what does it include?

Offers / Sale Prices: Never ending or genuine? Not that I am cynical but [emoji846]

Gratuities: My understanding is $xxx per day on an ‘optional’ basis, plus the usual 15% service charge on everything else.

Hidden Extras. What have I missed?

Otherwise it is looking good.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• We have always enjoyed the food but this is a very subjective topic ... we are general ypretty adventurous eaters and not at all picky so take it as you will.

• The wine flows freely at mealtimes ... there are two included wines (one red/one white) each evening in the restaurant (the Chef's Table is different with a different wine with each course). The wait staff will show you the bottles, describe the wine and offer a taste for approval.

• Alternative wines are available (for an extra charge) and these are listed on the menu and available in list form ... just ask.

• I'm not sure what you mean by "silver service" but yes, the dining venues are all decorated in a Scandinavian "modern" style. We enjoy the clean lines. The service is what we consider "white glove" without the pretension. The wait staff are obviously well trained but still smile and seem to enjoy friendly banter with the guests.

• Drinks (wine,beer, soft drinks) are free and free flowing during the lunch and dinner services (in all venues) but an afternoon cocktail or a glass of wine in the lounge before dinner will cost extra. The prices are reasonable ... you can probably fine a bar menu somewhere online by doing a search ("Google it").

• You may purchase your own wine and it will be opened and served to you either at the bar or in the restaurant at no charge. You may enjoy it in your stateroom at your leisure. It will be opened for you at the bar or you can use the corkscrew in your stateroom. If you prefer a "proper" wineglass rather than the glassware in you room you can ask one of the bar staff and they will give you what you need. Frankly, I'll drink wine out of a coffee cup if needs be ... but that's another story!

• Yes, there is a "Silver Spirits" package offered on the ocean itineraries as well as the rivers. A 15 day cruise will cost you $279 / pp and yes, each person in the stateroom must have a package. The package includes:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs

• The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing

• Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise

• 15% discount on premium beverages above $50.00

• Soft drinks & juices
    • (This was copied from the site ... someone with experience with this package can likely elaborate)

• Cynicism is okay ...as far as I can tell the 2 for 1 is never ending, but there are some specials that are genuine ... generally these are on airfare which many prefer to book themselves. We have always booked with Viking and have gotten airfare to Europe for as little as $100 a couple of times and once for free.
  • One thing to watch ... there is a 3.3% discount on your total if you pay for your cruise via e-check (electronic transfer). We generally do it this way but noticed in one of the recent brochures that the prices listed included the 3.3%discount so if you were to opt for another form of payment you would have to add the 3.3% to the total ... read the fine print. The internet/online prices are still showing a total without the 3.3%.

Have fun planning!

Edited by molymoo

It is hard to get a printed wine list because it is always changing.

Wine and beer are free at meals in all venues. You have your choice of the day's white or red. These wines change over the course of the cruise but not necessarily on a day to day basis. If you buy the drinks package, you may choose from the a list of premium wines, which are served by the glass. If you wish to buy wine by the bottle, it is also available (and discounted if you have the package). if you want to see the wine list, simply ask to see it.

Between meals, you may buy wine by the glass at any of the bars. All bar prices include a 15% service charge.

You may also bring your own wine. There is no corkage fee in the dining rooms. Viking's BYO policy is very liberal and you may carry on to the ship any tipple that is legal. Viking encourages you to sample the local wines and beers. You may drink what you bring on board anywhere on the ship.

Hot tea, coffee and hot chocolate are free from any bar 24/7 (unless it contains alcohol).

There are already a couple of threads about the drinks package (Silver Spirits). Not sure of the current per diem.

Yes, in the US, Viking cruises are always advertised as 2-for-1. What does change however are the air prices offered (which is great if you are flying coach but not if you want to upgrade to first class). Occasional there may be a bonus discount on a cruise but these are few and far between and as the sail date approaches, there may be some deals if a particular cruise has enough empty cabins to warrant it.

The spa is available to all passengers. Only spa services will cost you; price already includes a 15% services charge.

Cruise gratuities are added to your on board account (currently at $15 per day per person). You may use any OBC to pay for these. You may remove these charges and tip on an individual basis (this applies to US and Canadian pax; UK and antipodes prices are "gratuities included").

Hidden extras: Caviar with dinner will cost you.

Depending on what level cabin you get, there may be mini-bottles of alcohol in your room fridge (no extra charge). My understanding is that you have some leeway regarding which bottles they stock. All soft drinks are free regardless of cabin level.

2 for 1... we Brits should be so lucky! [stamps her feet!] :evilsmile: :(:mad:

But it's not a "real" two for one as the "brochure" price is rarely charged. Are you seriously paying twice as much in the UK as an American passenger??

Yes. We’re presently in a Penthouse Veranda on the Sea. Our minibar is stocked with four mini bottles of spirits. We asked, and now the daily free service consists of two Beefeater’s gin and two Dewer’s scotch. A variety of soft drinks provided. We asked to switch to only tonic and soda water.

A similar policy applies to Penthouse Suites

Agree with the excellent prior responses.

As a Silversea customer let me emphasize that the Silversea restaurant service attention and setting is more formal than Viking's Scandanavian setting. On Silversea you can ask for "the last Wednesday's wine I liked" whereas on Viking without Silver Spirits package which BOTH of you must buy, you only have that evening's standard red or white wines. Silversea has cocktails, wine & beer anytime whereas Viking (without the Silver Spirits pkg) it's only at mealtimes but with generous multiple pourings. FWIW, we don't buy the package but do purchase the occasional martini and special glasses of wine for my wife at reasonable prices. Small bar bill.

No fees for Viking's excellent specialty restaurants although at Chef's Table it's $25 per person for the special wine pairings WITHOUT the Silver Spirits package which includes them. We passed on special pairings. Manfredi's top notch specialty restaurant feels like Silverseas' restaurant. Maybe because Viking named it after Silverseas' owner, a friend.

Gratuities are automatically added to your bill (Ocean) but you can go to the desk and ask that they be reduced, etc. I keep it in and view it as the price of the cruise. I'd prefer Viking just add it to the price so that workers don't get stiffed but as you see they like playing games with low appearing prices.

Viking has included tours in every port which Silversea does not (q..v. Alaska none ) or has just a few. Read Viking's "panoramic" tour as a bus tour with some photo stops.

Viking has unlimited wifi that works decently. Silverseas' niggardly 1 hour per day policy will change to unlimited access by May 2018.

Very relaxed dress code on Viking vs Silversea requiring men's jacket for restaurant dinner, etc.

Despite having more passengers Viking ocean ships feel uncrowded to almost empty EXCEPT for Wintergarden Tea, always full.

Thanks very much for the comprehensive replies.

It is a minefield when trying to compare cruises.

Viking is looking good at the moment.

The main cruise I fancy has no prices yet ... they are due out next week, after which I can start a serious like for like comparison.

I suspect that we will book Viking as the cruise lengths are more to our taste, the Silversea ones tend to be 9 10 and 11 days whereas the Viking are 15 days.

The ‘base prices’ are similar yet there is an extra few days onboard, and the airfares are included.

Mike

Thanks very much for the comprehensive replies.

It is a minefield when trying to compare cruises.

Viking is looking good at the moment.

The main cruise I fancy has no prices yet ... they are due out next week, after which I can start a serious like for like comparison.

I suspect that we will book Viking as the cruise lengths are more to our taste, the Silversea ones tend to be 9 10 and 11 days whereas the Viking are 15 days.

The ‘base prices’ are similar yet there is an extra few days onboard, and the airfares are included.

Mike

Mike,which cruise will be out next week?

Mediterranean Explorations is out 1st April, according to the reply I received when I asked for a quote. I was looking for late next year.

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/mediterranean-explorations/index.html#noscroll

Also worth noting, if you stick with the included wine (or beer) for dinner and lunch, you can ask at the end of the meal that your wine glass be refilled (quite generously), and then take it with you back to your cabin.

But it's not a "real" two for one as the "brochure" price is rarely charged. Are you seriously paying twice as much in the UK as an American passenger??

No, the Brits do not pay twice as much as what we pay. After all of the marketing hocus-pocus, we all pay about the same price for the same cabin. It is just a matter of how things are presented. In the UK for instance, pricing includes gratuities and sometimes air is included in the package. It isn't hard to compare how the various markets are priced; anyone can visit the various Viking websites (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand) to check things out.

Mediterranean Explorations is out 1st April, according to the reply I received when I asked for a quote. I was looking for late next year.

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/mediterranean-explorations/index.html#noscroll

Viking has been doing this Barcelona to Rome to Barcelona loop for the past two seasons. I was hoping that it would become a "bread and butter" cruise for them because I would rather sail the Med than the Caribbean. I hope they bring them back when they have more ships in operation. We did Barcelona to Barcelona this past NYE. There is so much to see in these ports that we could do it a few more times before we see everything we want to see.

Med Explo (Rome to Rome) and its sister itinerary, Majestic Med (Barcelona to Barcelona) are actually two one-week itineraries (Iconic Cities of the Med (Barcelona to Rome) and Southern Med Discovery (Rome to Barcelona)) offered back to back and given their own name. Viking does this with a couple of their itineraries You can do Homelands and Midnight Sun as a b2b and some of the new Asian itineraries can be strung together as well.

The other thing about the included beer and wine is that you can go to the World Cafe or the Pool Grill during meal times and just get it "to go". I think the Pool Grill was open until 3 PM. You could just ask for as many glasses of beer or wine as you wanted, or a BIG glass, and they would fill it and off you go. Same thing at night. If you are going to the show, you can head up to World Cafe, ask for 2 glasses of wine "to go" and take them to the theatre. Of course you can have bottles of wine in the fridge in your stateroom...we bought a few in port and in some of the terminals believe it or not. Asked for wine glasses at one of the bars and brought them back to the room. I never could figure out the corkscrew that was in the fridge, though...it was the fancy waiter one. I like the one with wings and I'll bring one next year!!

No, the Brits do not pay twice as much as what we pay. After all of the marketing hocus-pocus, we all pay about the same price for the same cabin. It is just a matter of how things are presented. In the UK for instance, pricing includes gratuities and sometimes air is included in the package. It isn't hard to compare how the various markets are priced; anyone can visit the various Viking websites (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand) to check things out.

Thanks - that is what I thought based on reading CC for lo these many years ;-) I know it can be hard to compare apples to apples based on inclusions, and there could be minor (or, more...) variations based on currency used, but that in general the price would have to be close to the same, or why would the "losing" side ever book that cruise?

Going back to my original question ... so far I have come up with

‘Optional’ gratuities .... $15 pppd .... $450

Drinks package .. 2x$239 ................ $478 (I don’t think so!!🤨)

A regular tab would hopefully be lower?

So far we have the potential to be over $900 .... plus

Any non complimentary excursions ........ no prices available.

Drinks package .. 2x$239 ................ $478 (I don’t think so!!

$239 for 12 nites is ruffly $20 per day .... that's actually a pretty good deal IMO altho it depends on how much you drink PLUS factoring in the already included wine / beer at lunch / dinner

but in comparison having just done an RCL trip, their package price varies daily and by ship but the lowest I was able to grab was $55 a day per person and I've never seen it below $44

Any non complimentary excursions ........ no prices available.

On our European cruise, most optional excursions range from $69 to $199 per person, unless you’d like to do a spot of diamond polishing in Amsterdam. That one runs over $1K! (You get to keep your diamond, though.) We’re doing a mix of included and optional excursions, including a couple from other companies.

The drinks package doesn’t make sense for us, either.

Well we dont drink any alcoholic beverages. So guess we are paying for everyone else that does. But that is how it goes.

Well at least on Viking they do not include bar drinks in the cruise fare like on most upper level cruise lines (e.g. Silversea) so your fare is theoretically less. I do think the Viking silver package is a good deal for heavy drinkers and wine aficionados. Our occasional martini and occasional "different" better wine makes the daily rate of the package not a good deal for us but our friends love it.

So far I have only done Viking's River Cruises and I always buy the Silver Spirits drink pkg. The cost depends on the length of the cruise and breaks down to between $20-30 per day/per person. So if you have 3 drinks a day (figuring about $10 per drink), or would like upgraded wine choices it works out better.

As far as the food experience goes, in France it was spectacular, China it was Chinese food that I really liked, (dumplings - YUM!) but probably not considered "gourmet", but was so disappointed in Germany for 15 DAYS, that I mostly ordered from the right side of the menu (standard offerings such as steak, roast chicken, or fish). Most others agreed. When I spoke to the dining capt. I was told "Well, this is not France". That comment resulted in a formal complaint to Viking. I still remain loyal to Viking and am scheduled for Pharaohs & Pyramids for June. (Working out some kinks there, but that is on another thread.) :)

Well at least on Viking they do not include bar drinks in the cruise fare like on most upper level cruise lines (e.g. Silversea) so your fare is theoretically less. I do think the Viking silver package is a good deal for heavy drinkers and wine aficionados. Our occasional martini and occasional "different" better wine makes the daily rate of the package not a good deal for us but our friends love it.

Hi,, we purchased the SSP,, totally happy with it. Just the perfect addition to our cruise.

Peace, kiddo. Note to ya,,We are not heavy drinkers,, we had the SSP, and had a wonderful time. not a drunkin party. Your thoughts should be tempered. We found walking up and asking for a nicer wine, or a mixed drink as wanted exactly what was making our journey a pleasant one. I'd think twice before I'd accuse someone of something I'm not personally aware of,,